It’s time for another weekly update from our irregular schedule. I’ve skipped the last few, due to the relative frequency of Tool news lately, with both Adam and Danny indicating in recent weeks that things are happening. I’m sure you’ve all read that before – let’s wait until they actually confirm hitting the studio before getting too excited.
Anyway, in this weeks issue:
- Justin plays some riffs at NAMM
- Danny plays a huge gong at NAMM
- Justin plays on new Glaca track Oni Przyszli
- Danny upcoming gigs
- Albums of the last few weeks: Anvil, Chelsea Wolfe, Corrosion of Conformity
Justin plays some riffs at NAMM
NAMM is the worlds biggest music trade show (I think) where pretty much all the big time manufacturers show off their latest gizmos. Justin Chancellor dropped into the Warwick/Framus booth, to play some sweet riffs on his custom axe. Maybe some of these will appear on the new album?
Danny plays a huge gong at NAMM
Not to be outdone, NAMM regular Danny Carey played a massive gong in the Paiste booth.
Justin plays on new Glaca track Oni Przyszli
In other Justin news, he contributes to the track Oni Przyszli by Polish band Glaca. I believe this band is fronted by the same guy he worked on with m.t.Void. The vocals are somewhat of an acquired taste, to put it mildy. Enjoy it if you can!
Danny upcoming gigs
Danny has a couple of upcoming shows at in LA. Worth checking out if you’re in town:
- with the Charette Group at the Baked Potato on January 31st
- with Doug Webb at Squashed Grapes in Ventura on February 3rd
Albums of the last few weeks
It’s a slow time of year for album releases, but here’s a few things I’ve enjoyed in the last few weeks:
- Anvil – Pounding the Pavement: Canadian heavy metal act Anvil were the subject of a popular documentary a few years back, and while their music is pretty cliched, I found their latest album to be reasonably enjoyable.
- Chelsea Wolfe – Hiss Spun: Chelsea puts out an interesting twist on doom, and her albums are always sonic adventures worth checking out.
- Corrosion of Conformity – No Cross No Crown: These guys put out some consistently good hard rock/metal albums, and this one is no exception.