Re: Maynard's Drug Years

Post by xZ1mM3r »

well have fun with that.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Kittaan wrote:^ Or apathetic.

Jeez, the typos/grammar atrocities alone make me cringe.
That is what drives me fucking crazy. Grammar. Fuck me maybe I am just getting old but do they even teach it at school any longer? I don't mind reading a long post when it is well written. Even Hellboy's bullshit posts are palatable because they are marginally well written.

@Umad - Personally I cut Z some slack because he isn't a cunt. You are a cunt. I hope that clears things up.

Maybe rather than bitching you fucks could have just answered the question and that would have been the end of it.

@Z - As far as I know, his drug use was primarily during the Undertow/Aenima era. By the Lateralus album I think he was pretty much done with Hallucinogens. I remember reading an article about where he said something to the effect of the point of taking a Hallucinogen is to get to a certain place, and then after that trying to get back to that place again without the use of any drugs. Not a direct quote obviously.

Adam doesn't partake and didn't much in the old days to my knowledge. Danny and Justin like to party.
The most intelligent person on this forum
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

M0G wrote: @Umad - Personally I cut Z some slack because he isn't a cunt. You are a cunt. I hope that clears things up.
What?

Why are you always so mad? I said nothing directed at you, no need to get your jimmy's in a bunch. Go listen to some tool and mellow out brah.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

M0G wrote:

That is what drives me fucking crazy. Grammar. Fuck me maybe I am just getting old but do they even teach it at school any longer? I don't mind reading a long post when it is well written. Even Hellboy's bullshit posts are palatable because they are marginally well written.

@Umad - Personally I cut Z some slack because he isn't a cunt. You are a cunt. I hope that clears things up.

Maybe rather than bitching you fucks could have just answered the question and that would have been the end of it.

@Z - As far as I know, his drug use was primarily during the Undertow/Aenima era. By the Lateralus album I think he was pretty much done with Hallucinogens. I remember reading an article about where he said something to the effect of the point of taking a Hallucinogen is to get to a certain place, and then after that trying to get back to that place again without the use of any drugs. Not a direct quote obviously.

Adam doesn't partake and didn't much in the old days to my knowledge. Danny and Justin like to party.
A solid post. Also just so it's clear, in my job I deal with government agencies on a daily basis; ie. City and DOT's. So I write, well nowadays its type, with grammar in mind, due to the fact that most letters and submitals I write are legal documents; design plansets, summary of work, project bid documents etc. I just choose to not care as much when I participate in an online forum because, well, it's an online forum.

But thank you M0G, that response was exactly what I was looking for. Take note everyone, M0G (they guy most people dislike here) just gave you a lesson on how to properly answer a question. Starting to think this forum is a bunch of Republicans, given the rate at which shit actually gets answered around here.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

xZ1mM3r wrote:A solid post. Also just so it's clear, in my job I deal with government agencies on a daily basis; ie. City and DOT's. So I write, well nowadays its type, with grammar in mind, due to the fact that most letters and submitals I write are legal documents; design plansets, summary of work, project bid documents etc. I just choose to not care as much when I participate in an online forum because, well, it's an online forum.

But thank you M0G, that response was exactly what I was looking for. Take note everyone, M0G (they guy most people dislike here) just gave you a lesson on how to properly answer a question. Starting to think this forum is a bunch of Republicans, given the rate at which shit actually gets answered around here.
Dear God man, at least be consistent.

Oh, as for the rest of it, fart.
I like to poop naked.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

markuspoop wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:A solid post. Also just so it's clear, in my job I deal with government agencies on a daily basis; ie. City and DOT's. So I write, well nowadays its type, with grammar in mind, due to the fact that most letters and submitals I write are legal documents; design plansets, summary of work, project bid documents etc. I just choose to not care as much when I participate in an online forum because, well, it's an online forum.

did you REALLY miss that line....
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
markuspoop wrote:

did you REALLY miss that line?
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
M0G wrote:

A solid post. Also just so it's clear, in my job I deal with government agencies on a daily basis; ie. City and DOT's. So I write, well nowadays its type, with grammar in mind, due to the fact that most letters and submitals I write are legal documents; design plansets, summary of work, project bid documents etc. I just choose to not care as much when I participate in an online forum because, well, it's an online forum.

LOLOLOLOL :lol: NICE!

xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

M0G wrote:
LOLOLOLOL :lol: NICE!

Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Hans can't help making at least one retarded new thread per week. He's a window licker and craves acceptance from people on this site.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Bill Hilly wrote:Hans can't help making at least one retarded new thread per week. He's a window licker and craves acceptance from people on this site.
nailed it. :D acceptance is what i strive for... is it that obvious?!?!
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Hans' drug years: 10,000 Crack Rocks.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Bill Hilly wrote:Hans' drug years: 10,000 Crack Rocks.
more like AEnema of acid
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Umadbrah? wrote:

I don't think grammar has anything to do with it! Content > Context
Somomabeetch!

You BOTH fucked up Affect vs Effect. E-nuph sed.
Ki77aan :twisted:
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

Words are hard.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Take note everyone, M0G (they guy most people dislike here) just gave you a lesson on how to properly answer a question. Starting to think this forum is a bunch of Republicans, given the rate at which shit actually gets answered around here.
What's wrong with Republicans? Only some narrow-minded Dumbocrat libtard would make a sweeping generalization like that.
xZ1mM3r wrote:did you REALLY miss that line....
I never miss my lines. I snort up my lines of blow on the first try. Like a big boy.
I like to poop naked.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

joeypants wrote:I think it's more a combination of things, and way more the aspects of your life/being that make you get into certain drugs ALSO makes you... it's hard to find the right word. Not "artistic" or "inspired," but it's a different kind of energy. I honestly wouldn't say that 10K Days is "worse" than the Aenima or Lateralus era. Lyrically, I think there's a compelling argument to be made that the "drug years" (not how I would put it at all with this band...) are more interesting. But I think the newness and hunger has more to do with it than drugs do or did. The headspace they were in kind of led them to , which in turn influenced the music and lyrics.

I tend to agree with Buzz's take on all this, even if I also am a big advocate of psychedelic use. But, it's either in you or it isn't. Drugs don't bring it out. They can bend things and greatly influence your perspective on life and art in a very positive way, but that's it. Drugs don't make music, people do (to co-opt a phrase from another movement).
Now Joey this was a considered response, and in their haste to jump each others bones it was ignored by the rest of the kidlets.

Damon Albarn has been in the media much of late explaining how his drug use increased his productivity as a musician and was a part of his growth as a person. Not a popular view in some circles but one that I can certainly relate to.

Our minds are chemical interactions. Tinkering with those interactions, IMO, is a natural part of discovery, both of ourselves and our world, and I don't envision a day when I will ever stop (I'm saving intravenous use for my 90's). There is no doubt that certain drugs (particularly psychedelics) allow us to experience the world in very different ways and the interesting thing is that this isn't limited to the drug experience itself. When new pathways are opened they remain open for at least a time and can allow us to relate differently to the world even when the drugs are no longer physically active within us. They do give us new perspectives and ideas.

The idea of drugs being a habit that Maynard may have kicked, is to misunderstand the idea that people have used drugs from our earliest recorded history, that they do not need to be considered a nasty habit and they can be a normal natural part of life's journey; as they are for the smartest most creative people I know.

Oh and when I met Justin after the last TooL show here I would be prepared to bet any amount that he was chemically enhanced.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

turtles

brush

lawnmower

orange juice
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

liz wrote:
joeypants wrote:I think it's more a combination of things, and way more the aspects of your life/being that make you get into certain drugs ALSO makes you... it's hard to find the right word. Not "artistic" or "inspired," but it's a different kind of energy. I honestly wouldn't say that 10K Days is "worse" than the Aenima or Lateralus era. Lyrically, I think there's a compelling argument to be made that the "drug years" (not how I would put it at all with this band...) are more interesting. But I think the newness and hunger has more to do with it than drugs do or did. The headspace they were in kind of led them to , which in turn influenced the music and lyrics.

I tend to agree with Buzz's take on all this, even if I also am a big advocate of psychedelic use. But, it's either in you or it isn't. Drugs don't bring it out. They can bend things and greatly influence your perspective on life and art in a very positive way, but that's it. Drugs don't make music, people do (to co-opt a phrase from another movement).
Now Joey this was a considered response, and in their haste to jump each others bones it was ignored by the rest of the kidlets.

Damon Albarn has been in the media much of late explaining how his drug use increased his productivity as a musician and was a part of his growth as a person. Not a popular view in some circles but one that I can certainly relate to.

Our minds are chemical interactions. Tinkering with those interactions, IMO, is a natural part of discovery, both of ourselves and our world, and I don't envision a day when I will ever stop (I'm saving intravenous use for my 90's). There is no doubt that certain drugs (particularly psychedelics) allow us to experience the world in very different ways and the interesting thing is that this isn't limited to the drug experience itself. When new pathways are opened they remain open for at least a time and can allow us to relate differently to the world even when the drugs are no longer physically active within us. They do give us new perspectives and ideas.

The idea of drugs being a habit that Maynard may have kicked, is to misunderstand the idea that people have used drugs from our earliest recorded history, that they do not need to be considered a nasty habit and they can be a normal natural part of life's journey; as they are for the smartest most creative people I know.

Oh and when I met Justin after the last TooL show here I would be prepared to bet any amount that he was chemically enhanced.
You actually think tinkering with chemical interactions in the brain is a good thing. Do you have any idea how delicate a thing brain chemistry is? Have you studied the main neurotransmitters, Seratonin, Dopamine, Norepinephrine, Glutamate, GABA..etc..and learned how they actually work? Do you understand how they send signals across a Synapse? Do you understand how the nervous system works at all?

Hallucinogens are remarkably dangerous. It literally only takes one usage to irreparably damage brain chemistry. Brain Chemistry isn't meant to be altlered. Every Neurotransmitter has a very specific set of functions. Anytime you take a hallucinogenic drug it is like playing russian roulette.

You wanna get high, go for it. But it is remarkably irresponsible to advocate the use of hallucinogens without having a working knowledge of basic neurochemisry.
iloveposters
Geacon

Post by iloveposters »

Didnt MJK once say

"Spend 10 years doing drugs, then spend the next 10 years trying to get to that place without them" ??
5/20/2001 - NYC, NY
9/22/2001 - Hartford, CT
8/12/2002 - Trenton, NJ
5/20/2006 - NYC, NY
9/28/2006 - Camden, NJ
10/5/2006 - Hartford, CT
10/6/2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
10/7/2006 - Uniondale, NY
8/1/2009 - Jersey City, NY
1/31/2012 - Uncasville, CT
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

M0G wrote:
liz wrote:

You actually think tinkering with chemical interactions in the brain is a good thing. Do you have any idea how delicate a thing brain chemistry is? Have you studied the main neurotransmitters, Seratonin, Dopamine, Norepinephrine, Glutamate, GABA..etc..and learned how they actually work? Do you understand how they send signals across a Synapse? Do you understand how the nervous system works at all?

Hallucinogens are remarkably dangerous. It literally only takes one usage to irreparably damage brain chemistry. Brain Chemistry isn't meant to be altlered. Every Neurotransmitter has a very specific set of functions. Anytime you take a hallucinogenic drug it is like playing russian roulette.

You wanna get high, go for it. But it is remarkably irresponsible to advocate the use of hallucinogens without having a working knowledge of basic neurochemisry.
Mog I don't need to study for a degree in nutrition before I eat.

What I advocate is common sense and restrain. There is no meant to be. There is only what is and what can be.

As for the delicate chemical balances within our brains, I contend the working knowledge I have of my own has been significantly aided by my experimentation with it over the years.

Say no to drugs certainly if that makes you comfortable but understand that I don't see that lack of inquisitiveness as a positive trait.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

That was the fatal flaw in Tim Leary's trip. He crashed around America selling "consciousness expansion" without ever giving a thought to the grim meat-hook realities that were lying in wait for all the people who took him seriously... All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit.
I like to poop naked.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

iloveposters wrote:Didnt MJK once say

"Spend 10 years doing drugs, then spend the next 10 years trying to get to that place without them" ??
Drugs are definitely a short cut to some experiences that can most probably be achieved through practices such as meditation or marathon running.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

liz wrote:
iloveposters wrote:Didnt MJK once say

Drugs are definitely a short cut to some experiences that can most probably be achieved through practices such as meditation or marathon running.
What if you had arthritis or no feet;
what else may help one attain true enlightenment,
peace, love, and harmony (three-part as well as figuratively)?
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

markuspoop wrote:That was the fatal flaw in Tim Leary's trip. He crashed around America selling "consciousness expansion" without ever giving a thought to the grim meat-hook realities that were lying in wait for all the people who took him seriously... All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit.
MDMA can buy peace love and understanding. It had been successfully used in relationships counseling and to treat grief and trauma before American psychiatrists started playing with it at parties and the jerky knees banned it. It is also credited with playing a large part of the gay rights movement in the 80's gaining societal acceptance.