Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
aenimal
Fanboi

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by aenimal »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
aenimal wrote:
joeypants wrote:Yeah, but the way you phrased that really just means "is there anything done/finished and recorded just sitting there." That there isn't is not very surprising to me.

However, you can bet they have a lot of half-developed ideas and things laying around that COULD be turned into something. But again, that only applies to future work/albums/releases.
After the release of (I believe) both Lateralus and 10,000 Days, there were interviews where band members stated they had a bunch of leftover material that didn't make the albums, and that they potentially could have another record out much quicker the next time, since they had so much stuff to work with.

And I swear Blair mentioned once, possibly in a newsletter, that there was a track cut from 10,000 Days, and that he was very surprised it didn't wind up making the album. Long time ago, probably back in 2006 I seem to remember reading that.

I dont doubt it, i would be surprised if Tool have never cut tracks from an album... If you could find that interview/newsletter that would be awesome. I would be intersted to hear about it.

I know Danny has stated that they had to cut a lot of intro/outro/segues from Lateralus due to time constraints. Im sure that happens on every record. The reason i asked blair about the cut tracks is that Tool was playing Wings for Marie intro back in 2002, made me wonder if it was a fully fleshed out song that was intended for Lateralus but ended up getting cut and made it onto 10000 days. I would love to know more about their album assembly process
http://toolshed.down.net/articles/index ... --ICE.html

As for the future, Carey is confident that fans won’t be left
destitute for another five years. In fact, Tool already has an
album’s worth of undeveloped material leftover from Lateralus. “I
could see the next record coming in two or three years,” he says,
“unless we take on something huge, like try to do the next Wall.
Which is a possibility . . . I think we’re the ones to step up and do
that.”

http://toolshed.down.net/articles/index ... treet.html

"Right before we went into the studio to record, we were
looking at this sheet that we had on the rehearsal space wall and
there were probably ten songs that we started developing that didn't
mae it onto this record. And they're not that far away," says Carey.
"We all breathed a big sigh of relief and just kind of went, 'Wow,
this is encouraging, we might be able to put out another record in two
years."
It's never that easy when it comes to Tool, though. There are
always bigger projects to undertake and a new standard to set.
"But we're also thinking that maybe the next thing will be
something like TheWall-type project with a movie and a longer record
that'll serve as a soundtrack. That's what I'd like to see anyway, if
things go as planned," says Carey. "That's a pretty major undertaking,
so it might take four years or something. But if we did just another
record, then it definitely won't take another four years - and that's
something I can guarantee."

February 2006 newsletter

As it turned out, the Ouija entity also knew that a certain segue that I thought would surely be included on the record would NOT make it due to time constraints. This is why, when asked (TWICE) bout the name of this particular track, Obelisong replied that "THERE IS NO NAME", something that didn't seem right at the time, and only makes sense now that the record is finished.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Nice find! I had never read those before. Pretty exciting really. Even 14 years after he said it haha
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
PimPle wrote:Surely there is a ton of recorded music that these guys have. They must be putting awesome bits of music together all time, either together or when they are at home...
a while back blair did a Q&A thing and we submitted questions. Here is my question and Blairs response:

Other than the obvious new material for the album, does tool have any unreleased or cut songs from any previous albums? Could they ever see the light of day?

BMB: Not that I am aware of

I would have thought they had lots of unreleased music too....
There is an important distinction between unreleased or cut songs, and riffs/jams they have written over the years.

I imagine they have plenty of riffs and jams around the place, not so much in the way of cut songs. History has shown that for the most part Tool don't really do b-sides.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

It should be well obvious, 10 years in since the last release, that this band doesn't release leftovers. As far as I can tell, they do everything possible just to reach the material they release. The finished product you, we, hear is ground into the ground, birthed from every member, pushed past every executive, lawyer, publicist & other out reached hand around.
also, Avatar!
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

At this point in time, I'd be happy even with an album of leftovers. Better than nothing. Don't much fancy waiting yet another year and constantly getting excited at rumours and mutterings that turn out to be nothing....
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote:At this point in time, I'd be happy even with an album of leftovers. Better than nothing. Don't much fancy waiting yet another year and constantly getting excited at rumours and mutterings that turn out to be nothing....
They key is to not get excited over rumours and mutterings.
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

When the next record eventually does come out, I'll be interested to see how they respond to the endless barrage of "what took so long"-type questions they'll no doubt be getting in every interview.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

hellboy wrote:
Calfium Jay wrote:At this point in time, I'd be happy even with an album of leftovers. Better than nothing. Don't much fancy waiting yet another year and constantly getting excited at rumours and mutterings that turn out to be nothing....
They key is to not get excited over rumours and mutterings.
I agree and rarely do get too excited any more... But I would also be happy with anything... The Justin Chancellor string theory clip was great... I just wish they would be a little more forthcoming with how much longer we have to wait...
Be good to each other.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

aenimal wrote:When the next record eventually does come out, I'll be interested to see how they respond to the endless barrage of "what took so long"-type questions they'll no doubt be getting in every interview.
If their project is really as big as they have hinted at, then people will understand the time it took. If its just an album, nothing else, then im sure they will get hammered with those questions. However i highly doubt its JUST an album. I expect a package deal of some sort...
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

I really enjoyed the String theory interview with Justin. Rarely great to hear Justin talk at depth about his approach to playing bass and song writing. It looks like they have all found a balanced and happy place in their lives and that will likely result in one superb album when it is finished. I could be wrong but I think they are fairly close at this point and will likely hit the studio around the end of the year. I still think a late 2017 release seems realistic. I have even revisited their music a bit lately and with all things absence makes the heart grow fonder. Thoughts of years and wonderful memories. Great music.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone. Be kind to each other and to yourself.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Found this Youtueb channel recently... Seems to post Tool and Puscifer stuff... Looks like they could be the next Burnt Amber?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUO3h ... aoujfLB7pw
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

August McNewsletter is available.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Uhhmmm... wow. At least it wasn't cryptic. :(
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

New video of some sort is imminent: The Pot? Opiate? Something else entirely?

Whatever it is, it is most welcome.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Sounds like they are getting close to releasing that opiate video. Given he ties it in with school related stuff, I would venture to guess it will be release next month. (Most colleges start in September)
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

xZ1mM3r wrote:Sounds like they are getting close to releasing that opiate video. Given he ties it in with school related stuff, I would venture to guess it will be release next month. (Most colleges start in September)
The prophecy of my signature is finally coming into being: Friday, September 23, 2016.

Or something like that.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Sounds like it could be some hints at Opiate and it's contents, but could also just be a reflection of Adam digging up some video props lately. Perhaps there is some different stuff they're taking out on tour for the VIP sessions this time around?
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

All their other "extras" (Salival, Parabola/Schism/Vicarious DVDs) came out just in time for Xmas. If it actually does come out this year, I'm putting my money on a mid-December release.
joeypants
Goderator

Re: Random Tool Social Media threa

Post by joeypants »

I'd love a significant Salival release that not only includes the opiate redo, but hd remaster of all the previous videos. Would be an awesome idea actually.
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

I'd still love to see 10K Days on vinyl....I don't understand why they haven't at least done that at some point during the last decade. I would've much rather had that than the Opiate reissue.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

The poorest fucking excuse for a newsletter I've read in years.
also, Avatar!
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

trilobite wrote:The poorest fucking excuse for a newsletter I've read in years.
Oh I think there's been way worse than this one....not blaming Blair, I get that he can't post certain things w/o their permission. I just think it's gotten to the point where they could at least give us a rough estimate of where things are at, or throw us a tidbit or two. Even some pics of them working at the Loft would be alright.
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

June 2016
Once safely back home, I thought about my recent brush with 'death', and what would happen to the Tool newsletters if I no longer were the one writing them. So I made an important decision. No matter what the repercussions might be, I felt that I owed it to the loyal fans to divulge certain things that I have kept to myself for so many years. Maybe next month - or the month after that - these things can finally be revealed? It's going to be crazy, I tell you. Rance Q. Spartley, are you reading this?..
Where are these things? Blair being Blair.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

aenimal wrote:All their other "extras" (Salival, Parabola/Schism/Vicarious DVDs) came out just in time for Xmas. If it actually does come out this year, I'm putting my money on a mid-December release.

My money's on nothing happening.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Carlos Condit just walked out to Triad.
also, Avatar!