Petition: Let us interview Adam Jones (by Hellboy)

The Main Event
lukas
Geacon

Petition: Let us interview Adam Jones (by Hellboy)

Post by lukas »

Hi guys,

what would you think about starting some kind of petition: We are a big community of passionate tool fans. Hellboy runs the only? up-to-date tool fan page on the internet. Hellboy has proven to be a respectful, loyal Tool fan. So I think Adam Jones would be quite willing to do a long and detailed interview with him, since HB is no random stranger or journalist who would then twist any kind of statement into OMFG the new tool album is coming out tomorrow. An interview without secrecy. That is to the point. Honest. Down to earth. We could work out some questions together here in the forum and finally send a serious request to Blair (lol?) or maybe even directly to Adam.
What I expect from it: A once-in-a-time honest, on-eye discourse on the future of the Band Tool. Whether we really have any serious hopes for a new album and what relevance we have as an external fan community for the band.
What do you think?

ps. please skip your negative destructive bullshit comments. thanks in advance!

UPDATE - questions so far
  • Dear Adam, thank you for taking the time to chat with us. As you know, this interview was organized by the tool community of fourtheye.net. Do you sometimes read fourtheye.net or do you browse through the forums there? Do you sometimes check the tool Subreddits to get an idea of ​​the tool community and what's going on?
  • How do you feel about the tool community? How do you deal with such a big hype as a band where the line between excitement and infinite nonsense is sometimes frighteningly thin?
  • Although there hasn't been any new material for years, there is still a fresh, active community supporting you. Does this make you proud?
  • Adam, let's talk about the main topic at the beginning of the interview. The new album. How do you feel about that?
    How often do you actually meet each other to write new music? Is it a few times per week, or is it less?
    We realize that it is impossible to rush a creative process. But don't you agree that 11 years is an extremely long time? Aren't you personally tired of playing the same songs live again and again? How do the other band members feel about it? If you were trying to put yourself in the position of a waiting fan, would you give him an honest hope for the new album anytime soon?
  • Adam, ahead of time you have re-recorded Opiate. In addition to this, you produced a memorable video. As an outsider, the question arises: Don't you feel the urge to share this impressive masterpiece with the world? Why are you putting so much time and energy into a project just to leave it behind closed doors in the end? I realize you always say that what you do is not for us, but for you. It is your legacy. But don't you want to give something to your fan base (which has ultimately always supported you and is - at least to a small extent - a contributor to your success) especially since you know that there are so many fans yearning for something new? Overseas, Down under, everywhere on the planet...!
  • Can you tell us more about the meeting with representatives of Streaming Services (Apple Music, Spotify etc.)
  • what do you personally think about Vinyl? Why don't you re-release 10.000 days on Vinyl? The demand would be huge!
  • Are you personally satisfied with the sound quality of 10.000 days? Critics say it's mastered way too loud and has little dynamics.
  • during the lateralus tour all 4 of you would embrace at the end of a gig. Post 10,000 days it's done sans maynard. Is that a reflection of the dynamics in this band at present. Basically if you were not such an established band would Maynard be kicked out to find someone who is on the same page as the other 3 or is it far more innocent then that
  • I was always curious if Adam/the band write the music and end up having a vision in mind for the song; even if it is broad (heavy topic, funny, sentimental, etc.) But then Maynard adds lyrics and completely changed the direction. I thought about this when listening to Wings/10000 Days. The music is amazing but I always wondered if Adam was surprised those tracks were a dedication to Judith. Ultimately the band doesn't even get to play those masterpieces anymore because Maynard doesn't wish to sing them anymore. Kind of bummer for fans, and potentially a musician who wrote such great music.
  • what was your favourite tour / gig and why?
  • what was the worst technical problem you ever experienced while touring?
  • how do you feel about festival gigs? how do you decide whether you are playing a "real" tool show or just a festival headline?
  • is there a 10.000 days puzzle? has it been solved?
  • which new guitar pedals, distortions, amps, gadgets can we expect on the new album? did you learn and use any particular instrument since the release of 10.000 days?
  • what are some of your current favourite bands (i know this gets asked a lot, but it's interesting everytime, imho)?
Last edited by lukas on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Specter
Pencildick

Re: Petition: Let us interview Adam Jones (by Hellboy)

Post by Specter »

I’m in and I’d read it or listen to it.
Neat idea, lukas.
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

lukas wrote:

Sorry, but this is the internet. If you can't handle negative responses to any thoughts you might care to broadcast, then maybe you shouldn't be here.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I'd love to read something like that but... honestly, only after the new album. Let them do their thing. Also, it's beyond clear that ANY interview, I don't care who it is conducting it, is going to lead to the same soundbytes we've all heard/read a million times at this point. And I get that, not criticizing Jones/Maynard for it.
Baahumbug
Fanboi
Height: 6’1

Post by Baahumbug »

Calfium Jay wrote:
lukas wrote:

Sorry, but this is the internet. If you can't handle negative responses to any thoughts you might care to broadcast, then maybe you shouldn't be here.
Oh wow you’re pretty fucking lame. These internet’s is tough I tell ya.
Alittlevil
Has been

Post by Alittlevil »

I would support the idea and of course read it. Not sure what would come of it or what not but it would be cool
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

Alittlevil wrote:I would support the idea and of course read it. Not sure what would come of it or what not but it would be cool
yeah. let's wait what hellboy says
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

That's more or less what I picture you looking like.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

I also would be interested in reading/watching/listening to this proposed interview. However i dont feel as though a "petition" will do much. HB would have to approach whoever he knows and see if it is possible; i doubt a vote or petition on FourthEye would make the difference.
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

xZ1mM3r wrote:I also would be interested in reading/watching/listening to this proposed interview. However i dont feel as though a "petition" will do much. HB would have to approach whoever he knows and see if it is possible; i doubt a vote or petition on FourthEye would make the difference.
you might be right. let's get some questions together and discuss organization afterwards
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not sure I have the contacts to make it work personally. Interested to hear what questions you'd ask.
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

Here is a first, small batch of questions. We need to ask some uncomfortable questions. More on the way

Dear Adam, thank you for taking the time to chat with us. As you know, this interview was organized by the tool community of fourtheye.net. Do you sometimes read fourtheye.net or do you browse through the forums there? Do you sometimes check the tool Subreddits to get an idea of ​​the tool community and what's going on?

How do you feel about the tool community? How do you deal with such a big hype as a band where the line between excitement and infinite nonsense is sometimes frighteningly thin?

Although there hasn't been any new material for years, there is still a fresh, active community supporting you. Does this make you proud?

Adam, let's talk about the main topic at the beginning of the interview. The new album. How do you feel about that?
How often do you actually meet each other to write new music? Is it a few times per week, or is it less?
We realize that it is impossible to rush a creative process. But don't you agree that 11 years is an extremely long time? Aren't you personally tired of playing the same songs live again and again? How do the other band members feel about it?
If you were trying to put yourself in the position of a waiting fan, would you give him an honest hope for the new album anytime soon?

Adam, ahead of time you have re-recorded Opiate. In addition to this, you produced a memorable video. As an outsider, the question arises: Don't you feel the urge to share this impressive masterpiece with the world? Why are you putting so much time and energy into a project just to leave it behind closed doors in the end? I realize you always say that what you do is not for us, but for you. It is your legacy. But don't you want to give something to your fan base (which has ultimately always supported you and is - at least to a small extent - a contributor to your success) especially since you know that there are so many fans yearning for something new? Overseas, Down under, everywhere on the planet...!

Can you tell us more about the meeting with representatives of Streaming Services (Apple Music, Spotify etc.)

what do you personally think about Vinyl? Why don't you re-release 10.000 days on Vinyl? The demand would be huge!

Are you personally satisfied with the sound quality of 10.000 days? Critics say it's mastered way too loud and has little dynamics.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Not a doubt in my mind that you wouldn't get detailed and lengthy replies to each and everyone of those questions.

If there is one thing I wouldn't mind knowing although I never imagine it would be answered honestly is during the lateralus tour all 4 of you would embrace at the end of a gig. Post 10,000 days it's done sans maynard. Is that a reflection of the dynamics in this band at present. Basically if you were not such an established band would Maynard be kicked out to find someone who is on the same page as the other 3 or is it far more innocent then that
Listen to All Them Witches
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

tough one ^^
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

I would love to hear the answers to these questions, however from Adams point of view it does him no good to answer them. It's only going to create drama. Single sound bites would be blasted all over altnation and rolling stone, taken out of context for more clicks. Doing this interview does him no good because he knows the questions that will be asked. I would love to hear the interview, I generally listen to any interview any member of the band does, and the leaked VIP session was really cool.. but I just don't see this happening

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

let's wait and see which questions come in. those questions with the highest chance of being answered should be asked at first. hellboy could judge depending on how the interview goes which "uncomfortable" questions to throw in.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Well I'll add a question.

I was always curious if Adam/the band write the music and end up having a vision in mind for the song; even if it is broad (heavy topic, funny, sentimental, etc.) But then Maynard adds lyrics and completely changed the direction. I thought about this when listening to Wings/10000 Days. The music is amazing but I always wondered if Adam was surprised those tracks were a dedication to Judith. Ultimately the band doesn't even get to play those masterpieces anymore because Maynard doesn't wish to sing them anymore. Kind of bummer for fans, and potentially a musician who wrote such great music.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

A good interview is generally one that allows the interviewee to elaborate on the questions asked. Getting someone on a defensive footing won't achieve this. Not to say some hard questions can't be asked, but it needs to be a conversation, not a inquiry.
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

hellboy wrote:A good interview is generally one that allows the interviewee to elaborate on the questions asked. Getting someone on a defensive footing won't achieve this. Not to say some hard questions can't be asked, but it needs to be a conversation, not a inquiry.

Exactly. I'm sure you'd do a great job!!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I didnt think any of this was actually serious, I mean none of the above questions would be answered not least coming from an internet forum. Got to say chevy chases question above is an intriguing one regarding song like 10K days not being played and the impact on the band
Listen to All Them Witches
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

a few more:

-what was your favourite tour / gig and why?
-what was the worst technical problem you ever experienced while touring?
-how do you feel about festival gigs? how do you decide whether you are playing a "real" tool show or just a festival headline?
-is there a 10.000 days puzzle? has it been solved?
-which new guitar pedals, distortions, amps, gadgets can we expect on the new album? did you learn and use any particular instrument since the release of 10.000 days?
-what are some of your current favourite bands (i know this gets asked a lot, but it's interesting everytime, imho)?