Tool - Nothin But Love

The Main Event
liz
Lunchinator

Re: Tool - Nothin But Love

Post by liz »

nxrm wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:50 am 100 days until the new Tool album my brothers and sisters!!! \m/
Our unsullied ears will thank us.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

liz wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:23 pm
nxrm wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:50 am 100 days until the new Tool album my brothers and sisters!!! \m/
Our unsullied ears will thank us.
\m/
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

You all are crazy I will never understand why you are waiting when the studio versions are not going to be dramatically different than what they have played live. Makes no sense to me but hey I support you goof balls if you haven't cracked by now I don't imagine you will crack. You got this.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

It makes no sense to me either how you have to keep mentioning that it makes no sense to you.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

M0G wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:56 pm You all are crazy I will never understand why you are waiting when the studio versions are not going to be dramatically different than what they have played live. Makes no sense to me but hey I support you goof balls if you haven't cracked by now I don't imagine you will crack. You got this.
I'd hear it live first if I was at the gig. I have standards Moglet.
Last edited by liz on Wed May 22, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Bill Hilly wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:05 pm It makes no sense to me either how you have to keep mentioning that it makes no sense to you.
I would think it is obvious I am having a blast fucking with you crazies that are abstaining. Wanna cry about it?

:lol:

See what I did...probably not..

anyhoo

toodles
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Dude, you on some new meds this week? I go on vacation for a few days and see all your posts chastising most of the community here. Who cares if some of us want the actual physical copy, and/or some of us are holding off to hear the album in its entirety? On a meth binge?
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Bill Hilly wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:11 pm On a meth binge?
:lol:

Or finally getting his dick wet
Canned audience laughter
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Well in keeping with the theme of this thread i will show some Tool love. (not that kind tys0n... hellboy would delete that post)

When i first heard Descending and Invincible, i very much felt as though the lyrics didnt fit.. In a way it felt like the music was one thing and the lyrics another, without much cohesiveness. They also gave off an APC vibe overall.

But now that i have had weeks to take in the songs, and relisten, learn lyrics, and get a real feel for the songs; i have to say i was completely wrong. The lyrics are PERFECTLY melded into the music. Breaks in the right spots, cadence, inflection, etc. all matches the music in an amazing way. I think the APC vibe that people felt/mentioned was simply due to the clean vocal style similar to vocals on ETE, which is still fresh in everyones mind as it was the most recent MJK work we have.

These 2 Tool songs are "TOOL" in every way. The band is sounding better than ever, the music sounds very distintly Tool, while still feeling fresh and new. The lyrics are absolutely what we have come to expect from Tool/MJK. I very much look forward to seeing the whole package, and the album.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

^Word. Only 99 days until I know what you're talking about. :)
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

98 :)
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Invincible is amazing, it's grown on me considerable over the last few weeks. The lyrics resonate with me pretty well - think Maynard has done a great job here.

Super keen to hear the recorded version.
lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

Temptation
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:35 pm Invincible is amazing, it's grown on me considerable over the last few weeks. The lyrics resonate with me pretty well - think Maynard has done a great job here.

Super keen to hear the recorded version.
Agreed I still prefer Descending as I tend to gravitate to Tool’s more musically complex compositions but Invincible is a hell of a jam. That vid the first night they played it with Justin rocking his fist in the hair was endearing.

Lyrics on both tunes match the songs and the harmony work on Descending helps build the atmosphere thru the first half of the song. Lyrical themes are about what I would expect from Maynard at 55 on a Tool song. Thoughtful but not overly esoteric.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I really enjoyed descending on first listen because it's a pretty damn decent jam and just the nostalgia of hearing some new Tool was incredible after all these years.

Invincible on the other hand I actually laughed out loud several times at how fucking amazing it was. I'm trying to not flog it too much so only listened about 5 or 6 times but god damn I love that song. So much groove!
Listen to All Them Witches
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Busty McCracken wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:30 am I really enjoyed descending on first listen because it's a pretty damn decent jam and just the nostalgia of hearing some new Tool was incredible after all these years.

Invincible on the other hand I actually laughed out loud several times at how fucking amazing it was. I'm trying to not flog it too much so only listened about 5 or 6 times but god damn I love that song. So much groove!
The groove change around the 9:25 mark in Invincible is AMAZING
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

I realized that I am hearing a kind of psychedelic reggae feel in the two new songs. Especially in the bass playing. Tool has always had a dark reggae combined with metal sound, but certain songs have more of that bass playing like Jambi and Salival Pushit. I was hoping there would be more of that style and so far it seems like we will get it. I think there is some possible influence in the bass style from the Wailers or bands that were influenced by them like Bad Brains and Sublime that were combining reggae with hardcore punk and metal successfully, among other things.

Tool takes what those bands were doing and does that mystical, psychedelic sound better than anyone I think besides ISIS whom in my mind really explored the same realm that Tool exists in. The Wailers have a very psychedelic bass tone that is maybe the closest I've heard to sounding like Jambi besides ISIS. Jimi Hendrix' bass playing came close, as well as Faul McCartney's, among many others, but the Wailers had such a deep, rich, wet bass tone that outshines them all in my opinion.

Invincible really has that sound to me and Descending to an extent also, and actually shares a lot of the lyrical themes that Bob Marley commonly used too.

Here is an example of what I mean. Maybe for the ones holding out for the album you can get into some of this stuff to help make it through to the finish line.

...and some Bad Brains

"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

M0G wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:56 pm You all are crazy I will never understand why you are waiting when the studio versions are not going to be dramatically different than what they have played live.

Do you know something we don't?

Who are you? Really??
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I think M0G is right - I can't see the album versions being radically different
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

hellboy wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:10 pm I think M0G is right - I can't see the album versions being radically different
It's more of a quality issue for sure.
Raffa D
of Arimathea

Post by Raffa D »

I noticed that Invincible has almost the same ending as Forty Six & 2. And that is surely not a bad thing.
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

do you think Tool will do some album promo interviews like url= one (amazing video quality btw)[/url] for the upcoming album?
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Raffa D wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:07 am I noticed that Invincible has almost the same ending as Forty Six & 2. And that is surely not a bad thing.
I already stated that half way through Invincible there is a reused riff as well and I hear some reused riffs in Descending, I'm telling myself that they are so blatant they are like easter eggs and call backs to their previous songs.
Canned audience laughter
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

liz wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:01 pm It's more of a quality issue for sure.
^This.