Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Ettan wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:40 am It sounds and looks like he triggers pre-recorded vocal harmonies (same harmonies from the albums that you audible can hear if you filter the audio to karaoke in VLC).

Examples:

He stopped with his foot-pedal during the 2012 tour, since then I guess the audio guys triggers the effects.
I kind of always assumed he was using some sort of a loop station, to record his live vocal and loop it back on to its self to get the sustained notes to sound more even. Almost like a delay switch. Never really thought he was triggering pre recorded vocals.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I've seen him use the keyboard to do this in later tours.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

The fact that he's clearly triggering different notes on that pedal is what makes me think it's an effect/vocal-sounding synth patch rather than a pure vocal sample.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

So if he's using pre recorded harmonies layering over his vocals can someone please tell him to sort his shit for pushit then thanks.

Last i saw them play it in 2013 , he skipped half the lyrics in the chorus and completely took me out of my little moment I was having.

Is an interesting point ya made on the previous page H-Boy. I'm very curious to see what Maynard brings to the table for this one coz his vocal style has changed substantially over the years.
Listen to All Them Witches
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

A little birdy tells me he's given up singing and will be solely using a kazoo on the new album.
Canned audience laughter
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

They're the wails of departed souls, he triggers them with occult rituals. It's not a keyboard, it's a slab of ebony infused with the blood of a diseased sertrüsian and the marrow of broken giants. Limited run; very hard to find nowadays.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

joeypants wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:59 am The fact that he's clearly triggering different notes on that pedal is what makes me think it's an effect/vocal-sounding synth patch rather than a pure vocal sample.
I reckon I've heard a recording of a sound check where you can hear the "sample" being played reasonably clearly. It sounded like a vocal sample, albeit processed to me.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Most (if not all) sampling systems allow you to change the pitch of the sampled sound.
Don't mow your lawn
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

UndKeineZwEier wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:50 pm Most (if not all) sampling systems allow you to change the pitch of the sampled sound.
Totally. Could also (probably) be a sample of the vocals that he "plays" like a synth on the sampler. To my ear, that's actually what it sounds like. I also really dig it, it usually sounds great live.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

My geography isnt great so please forgive me but uh... California... is that where the loft is?? Just with all these fires and all... the new album is all sweet yeah???
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:50 am My geography isnt great so please forgive me but uh... California... is that where the loft is?? Just with all these fires and all... the new album is all sweet yeah???
California is a big place. The Loft is balls deep in Hollywood, so unlikely to be destroyed by bushfire any time soon.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Looks like Jonesy had a lucky escape though.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/conseque ... dfire/amp/
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Get lost
also, Avatar!
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

hellboy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:29 am
Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:50 am My geography isnt great so please forgive me but uh... California... is that where the loft is?? Just with all these fires and all... the new album is all sweet yeah???
California is a big place. The Loft is balls deep in Hollywood, so unlikely to be destroyed by bushfire any time soon.
yea given where the loft is located, it would have to be one of the worst fires in history for it to be burned lol
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Jesus , 40 dead!! I dont really watch the news much, pretty much coz it depresses the shit out of me. Poor buggers.

And yeh right, didn't realise the loft was in the guts of Hollywood. So we're still a chance of getting the new album in 2021.. alright!
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

There are now at least 48 people who died in the Northern California fires, the Southern California fires have killed 2.
Professor of Lesbian Science
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

You gotta ask yourself what kinda of magick they are conjuring up in that studio to need that amount of sacrifices.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:36 pm Jesus , 40 dead!! I dont really watch the news much, pretty much coz it depresses the shit out of me. Poor buggers.

And yeh right, didn't realise the loft was in the guts of Hollywood. So we're still a chance of getting the new album in 2021.. alright!
I wouldn't get my hopes up around a 2021 album personally.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Non-news for the day: I believe that Blair is visiting LA this week hopefully to catch up with Danny and possibly other members of the band. Not sure if/when we'll get an update, but I imagine we might see something of note in the next newsletter.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

^ Sorry I give no fucks. Half way thru November and no announcement yet. Recording should be fucking done and the album should be in the mastering process by now. There should be a title and release date. I fucking hate Tool. I have never in my life seen a lazier bunch of musicians than Adam, Justin and Danny. I can't even bash old Jimbo. I don't like most of the shit he does on the side but at least he is doing shit. Fuck Tool. The Grudge is calling my name....
The most intelligent person on this forum
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Yeah, they've never taken this long before in the studio. I was always under the impression they worked up the material until it was note perfect, took it to the studio, banged it out and three months later it was recorded, mixed and mastered. It's now been eight months in the studio and as far as we know the vocals aren't even recorded yet.
At this stage I can't possibly see a release date window any sooner than July of next year....
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Takes twice the time to record a double album I thought
Canned audience laughter
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

It actually only takes half the time.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Given all that happened in the last 12 years, I'm amazed that anyone still thinks that assumptions about the recording of this album being the same as in the past are even remotely valid.
unclejackson
My pain is just an excuse

Post by unclejackson »

Calfium Jay wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:04 pm Yeah, they've never taken this long before in the studio. I was always under the impression they worked up the material until it was note perfect, took it to the studio, banged it out and three months later it was recorded, mixed and mastered. It's now been eight months in the studio and as far as we know the vocals aren't even recorded yet.
At this stage I can't possibly see a release date window any sooner than July of next year....
Eight months in the studio? Is that right?