Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Raffa D
of Arimathea

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Raffa D »

What do you guys think? Do we really have to wait for the end of july for some news. Maybe we get some when they are in America again. Or it will coincide with Independance Day?
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Raffa D wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:11 pm What do you guys think? Do we really have to wait for the end of july for some news. Maybe we get some when they are in America again. Or it will coincide with Independance Day?
Bill Pullman better be the one reading out the announcement on a 2 way speaker providing a rousing speech to rally us all if that ends up being the case
Listen to All Them Witches
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

Adam uploaded to his Insta Stories a video he took of The Cure live from backstage, pretty cool.
I forgot my pen
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Raffa D wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:11 pm What do you guys think? Do we really have to wait for the end of july for some news.
I think we're getting some good news before then.

...Chöd is growing on me.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
cahernandez
My pain is just an excuse

Post by cahernandez »

Reading the latest newsletter, Junior, did you get to tour CERN? If so, how was it? Any glimpse of the LHC? That must've been so cool :)
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Canned audience laughter
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

tyson with his crazy videos! i dont think this tops Geoff Tate but its nutty enough! you did something else that was wacky too, just cant remember right now.

so the newsletter blew apparently ? doesnt mean an announcement wont come in the next week or so.

so 20 steps about alien portals or whatever. maybe 20 more days till a single comes out ? counting today that would be July 19th. maybe thats a day....its def a day ;)
_peterpwn
Has been

Post by _peterpwn »

ok seriously, this is one of the best shit in the internet i've seen in a long time... this is so amazing i cant beleive its actually not a bit from a stand up or from that friday night show from tv or jimmy kimmel or i dont know...
this is exactly the monologue they should start the concerts with and then Third Eye
this is hilarious :D dafuq did i just see
Raffa D
of Arimathea

Post by Raffa D »

Oh my God, we all burn in hell!!
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

Yeah big newsletter flop. Oh well
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Just walked past Altice Arena here in Lisbon... security was everywhere... I thought TOOL might be setting up or doing sound check stuff etc.

Turns out I was wrong. Rod Stewart is playing tonight. Probably explains all the old/old school people lining up from 4pm onwards.

FYI, Rod Stewart is 74 years old this year. Wonder if TOOL will still be playing live gigs at that age...
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Takeo wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:24 am Yeah big newsletter flop. Oh well
He had “sleep tight” on the newsletter but it has since been removed
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Also, it should be noted how strong Maynard is sounding right now:

Yes, he still uses the megaphone thing for Vicarious and leaves out the climactic line but he is sounding possibly the best I have heard him sing since the old 2001/02 Lateralus shows. Either that or they've just turned up his volume in the mix.

Years ago (e.g. 2010) he didn't quite give it everything in a song like Intolerance as he did last night in Spain. I've seen the band do this song a few times but the clip above and being there for it was the best version I've seen, mainly due to his voice etc.
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

rshforgothispw wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:54 am
Takeo wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:24 am Yeah big newsletter flop. Oh well
He had “sleep tight” on the newsletter but it has since been removed
For whatever reason, this week - July 1, maybe the holiday, maybe Friday - seems like a good week for an update. Tour ends tomorrow. Let’s go!
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

_peterpwn wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:06 am

ok seriously, this is one of the best shit in the internet i've seen in a long time... this is so amazing i cant beleive its actually not a bit from a stand up or from that friday night show from tv or jimmy kimmel or i dont know...
this is exactly the monologue they should start the concerts with and then Third Eye
Hahahahaha, this made my day, thank you so much for posting this shit, LMAO :D :D :D
Yeah, we're all going to hell with MJK together :D
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

ziggy23 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:37 pm
_peterpwn wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:06 am

Hahahahaha, this made my day, thank you so much for posting this shit, LMAO :D :D :D
Yeah, we're all going to hell with MJK together :D
Yea... That Maynard James Keen is one bad dude.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

Capt. Shipwreck wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:12 pm Junior have you gotten any time to work with the lighting for new songs we haven’t heard for after the album release? Or are you busy dialing in the two we have?
I've been gathering ideas, but the real work on those will be before the next tour.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

cahernandez wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:27 pm Reading the latest newsletter, Junior, did you get to tour CERN? If so, how was it? Any glimpse of the LHC? That must've been so cool :)
I had a day off in Geneva last fall on another tour. One of the members of that band knew someone at CERN, who then hooked us up with a VIP tour of the facilities. When he found out I work for Tool, he wanted to know if he could get some passes for the Zurich show (they already had tickets).
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

junior wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:57 pm
I've been gathering ideas, but the real work on those will be before the next tour.
So you have heard all of the new album huh? Spill the beans Junior! How many tracks! Tell the truth, we all can handle the truth except for Mog. If you don’t want to post publicly, slide right into my DM’s please 🤓
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

the chill wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:34 pm
junior wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:57 pm
So you have heard all of the new album huh? Spill the beans Junior! How many tracks! Tell the truth, we all can handle the truth except for Mog. If you don’t want to post publicly, slide right into my DM’s please 🤓
Ha! Good luck with that Chill :lol:

That sermon needed more carrots crying in it and questions about where the line is. Last I heard you could sniff the line but you couldnt cross the line
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

mattw wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:03 pm Also, it should be noted how strong Maynard is sounding right now:

Yes, he still uses the megaphone thing for Vicarious and leaves out the climactic line but he is sounding possibly the best I have heard him sing since the old 2001/02 Lateralus shows. Either that or they've just turned up his volume in the mix.

Years ago (e.g. 2010) he didn't quite give it everything in a song like Intolerance as he did last night in Spain. I've seen the band do this song a few times but the clip above and being there for it was the best version I've seen, mainly due to his voice etc.
I agree Maynard sounds fantastic. I am sure they have turned up his volume in the mix but he still sounds really good at the moment. I am not sure if has backed off the wine or got with a vocal coach or maybe just staying active with Puscifer over these years and the APC album but his voice is way better than it was during the 10k era and has been better over the last couple of years. Right now I agree this is as good as he has sounded in a very long time.

All of them are locked in at the moment. There is a vibe amongst the four of them at the moment that hasn't been there in awhile. Tension is gone and they seem to really be enjoying being around each other and playing.

I am highly critical of how Tool has handled delays and this entire album cycle but in terms of them playing live and the level they are at I have nothing but positive things to say.

Hearing them play Intolerance puts a smile on my face. I am sure there is a whole new crop of millenial Tool fans that have probably never under anything off Undertow or Opiate. This is back when Tool used to punch you in the mouth musically. They are a much better band now but Undertow is still one hell of an album and it has aged extremely well.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Probably a combo of the two in that his voice is sounding much better in which case he's felt more comfortable to have his mic level mixed up
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Many of these blokes, think Eddy Vedder and Chris Cornell (I'm still sad), have voices that get richer and more reliable with age and constant use. I'm not surprised that Maynard is perhaps a more confident vocalist now. Or maybe he just knows better how to play to his strengths. Either way can't wait for our (Aussie's) turn to listen.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

^Yeah agree with MOG here about how tight they sound right now. Obviously it makes sense that you would get better and better with age and experience but the other night in Madrid was one of the tightest performances I've seen them do... and there were still a couple of miscues/mistakes. But just the general vibe of the show is very tight musically and very positive. It's actually really fun to see Justin interact with the crowd... like just before he starts his main bit of Schism he psyches up the crowd and he often points to Adam when he's got a main bit coming... it's all very fun and positive and much more enjoyable as a fan seeing them live.

I also think they are incredibly proud of all of their work here. Their live shows are now 11 great songs where it's hard to pick a 'weakest' track. I know people have been critical of Vicarious as a live track in the past but it was electric the other night and I genuinely cannot think of which was the weakest. All sounded fantastic.

I'm thinking Aenema into The Pot combo will be scrapped/sacrificed/replaced by some epic new song to start their main tour after August 30 etc. I'm thinking 10 to 12 minutes similar to how Third Eye used to open shows. And CCTrip into another new song instead of Vicarious. Here's my prediction for upcoming set lists:

New Song 1
Stinkfist
Descending
Schism
Invincible
Jambi
New Song 2
46 & 2
CCTrip/New Song 3
Aenema
New Song 4

Also, that middle part of live shows right now of Descending/Schism/Invincible/Intolerance/Jambi/46 & 2 is a perfectly balanced flow or mix of live performances. There is no letdown whatsoever so I would recommend they keep it going somehow.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

New Songs 1,2,3 and 4 + Descending and Invincible is likely the whole album. Assuming they do the entire album, I'd expect the show to be something like:

Set 1: New album
Intermission
3-4 older cuts