Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
tys0n
Streeper

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by tys0n »

So I guess we've all come around to agreement that Danny is in fact the least important factor in Tools sound and could easily be replaced by say Mike Portnoy or David Silveria.
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I'd have thought Lars would be the obvious candidate but yes, Lakers jerseys are so 90s anyway
Listen to All Them Witches
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Seriously though this arguing over who is more important is hilarious. They are four incredibly talented musicians with bad body odour and horrible communication skills who when combined together make some pretty damn impressive music.

Now can we please go back to arguing which is the most important ninja turtle? I kinda have to say even though he's a boring cunt, i think Donatello is. Sure Leo leads & all but don is like the wife that holds the family together
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

tys0n wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:47 pm So I guess we've all come around to agreement that Danny is in fact the least important factor in Tools sound and could easily be replaced by say Mike Portnoy or David Silveria.
drummers are the backbone of the band as the say. so why not i guess ;)

Justins been with them for so long i couldnt see him not being there but he was a replacement, proving you can switch someone and it still works out. they got lucky having one replacement early enough on that it didnt matter that much.

a friend of mine back then said he missed that chuggy sound Paul had but it didnt matter he was gone cause they were on fire anyway. he still loved Tool big time but i do recall him saying that back when aenima came out. Paul wrote about 5 or 6 songs on aenima didnt he? i know he wrote a good portion of them. 46 & 2 was Justin, i remember that one.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I'm firmly in the Donatello camp, people who like Leonardo are control freaks, Raphael fans are usually short tempered fuckwits and anyone who like Michelangelo, well they are as dimwitted as he is.

Cowabunga dude.
Canned audience laughter
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Nightwish currently have their third female vocalist.

The first one, Tarja, had a very unique sound and was present on the first albums (5) thus being the one Nightwish got familiar with.

The second vocalist, Anette (2 albums), of all three had perhaps the least voice for live performances however the band did such an excellent job with suiting the album Imaginaerum to her voice it is for me the best album they have done so far.

And, Floor, their third vocalist one one album so far is easily their most powerful and best live performer. But it is their least album imo. But just check youtube for Ghost Love Score at wacken with her performing.

tl;dr one can replace a lead singer and still be a band. Even an unique band. It will not be the same band but still the band with different vibe.
Just look at Justin replacing Paul. TooL got better.
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

thekillingjoke wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:24 am Image
Haha the pieces fit.

And @Tyson I was a dimwit as a child, the party dude element appealed. Don had his shit together the most for sure
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

ms2r wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:23 am Nightwish currently have their third female vocalist.

The first one, Tarja, had a very unique sound and was present on the first albums (5) thus being the one Nightwish got familiar with.

The second vocalist, Anette (2 albums), of all three had perhaps the least voice for live performances however the band did such an excellent job with suiting the album Imaginaerum to her voice it is for me the best album they have done so far.

And, Floor, their third vocalist one one album so far is easily their most powerful and best live performer. But it is their least album imo. But just check youtube for Ghost Love Score at wacken with her performing.

tl;dr one can replace a lead singer and still be a band. Even an unique band. It will not be the same band but still the band with different vibe.
Just look at Justin replacing Paul. TooL got better.
Ah yeah, to make the mindf*ck complete: Tarja is releasing her second solo album....

on August 30....!
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:08 am Now can we please go back to arguing which is the most important ninja turtle? I kinda have to say even though he's a boring cunt, i think Donatello is.
lols
Deftones!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

So sad you Maynard lovers can’t admit the reality of the situation. Maynard is the least important member of Tool it is not even close. Adam, Justin (and Paul before although Justin is ten times the bass player than Paul is) and Danny make the magic that is Tool. Maynard does his job keeping those of you that need vocals in your music happy but Tool would be just as good as an instrumental band. In fact probably better seeing as they would never have to worry about creating sections for Maynard to sing in or backing off so they don’t over power his voice.
The most intelligent person on this forum
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

The second half of Descending is Tool at it’s finest an entire album of THAT would be remarkable. Oh well the masses need vocals and Maynard handles things adequately.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

M0G wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:36 am So sad you Maynard lovers can’t admit the reality of the situation. Maynard is the least important member of Tool it is not even close. Adam, Justin (and Paul before although Justin is ten times the bass player than Paul is) and Danny make the magic that is Tool. Maynard does his job keeping those of you that need vocals in your music happy but Tool would be just as good as an instrumental band. In fact probably better seeing as they would never have to worry about creating sections for Maynard to sing in or backing off so they don’t over power his voice.
I think I'm getting it now. You lack appreciation for the human instrument. Sure there are some instrumental only bands that I like but they are very few (I think Animals as Leaders is possibly my pick along with Earthless) and even in those cases I'm not convinced the right vocal wouldn't have something to add.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

The human instrument? Is that some weird new age guru shit?

Now if you really want a human instrument here you go...

liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

M0G wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:02 am The human instrument? Is that some weird new age guru shit?

I have seen him in concert and I cried.

You make my point though. Querying the term "human instrument" as odd sounding further illustrates your inability to perceive voices as instruments just as legitimate as any other instrument. Many would argue they are what a drum is not!

PP: I must add that the mix when I saw Mr Bocelli and his orchestra was the best I have ever heard in my life hands down. Every note from every instrument (including his) was crystal.
Last edited by liz on Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

There is only one true human instrument

Canned audience laughter
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

liz wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:13 am
M0G wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:02 am The human instrument? Is that some weird new age guru shit?

I have seen him in concert and I cried.

You make my point though. Querying the term "human instrument" as odd sounding further illustrates your inability to perceive voices as instruments just as legitimate as any other instrument. Many would argue they are what a drum is not!
Of course voices are instruments Liz dear I just presented you with quite possibly the greatest vocal instrument of the last 25 years

That doesn’t change the fact that in the case of Tool the vocal instrument plays the least importance. What Danny, Adam and Justin create is more than sufficient and we will never know just how far they could go without having the constraint of having to write songs with the space for vocals.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

M0G wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:18 am
That doesn’t change the fact that in the case of Tool the vocal instrument plays the least importance. What Danny, Adam and Justin create is more than sufficient and we will never know just how far they could go without having the constraint of having to write songs with the space for vocals.
Now you're just being a little perverse Moglet. I would hardly call Tools songs constrained and its not as if there aren't plenty of spaces where Maynard doesn't sing. I am sure Maynard creates his vocal according to his vision and feeling of the sounds presented to him: not the simple colour between the lines that you suggest.
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

They have written plenty of extensive song sections that don't include any or just a touch of vocals. Basically any long track since maybe Flood has at at some point a very "unrestrained instrumental" vibe going on. I don't think they miss "not having the constraint to write songs with the space for vocals". Come to think of it, most of my favorite Tool songs are defined by the instrumental sections instead of Maynards contributions, probably from Aenima on. Undertow is a different story, because Maynards raw emotions have so much power there. As far as cranking the "let instruments rule"-factor to 11 I think Rosetta Stoned is it, and Maynard not being in the picture wouldn't really change much of that.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

tys0n wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:16 am There is only one true human instrument

Speaking out of your ass is an ancient skill much practiced around here.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I love the Duke and Duchess in the background of that youtube still, out for a night of high art.
Canned audience laughter
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Mog if you sincerely think James is the weakest link in Tool surely you can name 5 Tool songs that are detrimental due to his participation, otherwise you are, what's the phrase I'm looking for here?

Oh.

Completely full of shit.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Wait, we've lowered ourselves to comparing Tool to Nightwish now?
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

M0G wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:52 am The second half of Descending is Tool at it’s finest an entire album of THAT would be remarkable. Oh well the masses need vocals and Maynard handles things adequately.
You nailed it. There is barely any appetite for just instrumental music like that. Without maynard tool would be irrelevant.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Tool are a band for the masses. The whole argument that the vocals are interchangeable or secondary to the music is silly. I'd listen to and enjoy a instrumental Tool no doubt, but I can't think of a world where I'd prefer them without Maynard.