Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Yeah, but Isis never had the backing Tool did. Tool could afford to have it done well the first time.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

tys0n wrote:This isn't Justice for all, show me another album that sounds like aenima or lateralus?

Pet sounds still sounds modern ffs and it's over 50 years old.
I don't have a problem with the albums, though I don't think either Aenima or Lateralus are shining examples of great mastering either.

I think any kind of remaster would be a subtle one, not a complete rework/remix. If nothing else a 5.1 remaster or something would be great.

Good thing is we all have some control over ourselves - don't want to hear a new master? Don't listen
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Pretty sure unless Phil Jamieson was lying, we've already lost control back in like 2002 or something.
Listen to All Them Witches
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

hellboy wrote:
Good thing is we all have some control over ourselves - don't want to hear a new master? Don't listen
Yup. Me, I enjoy variety. I've really loved listening to all the Zeppelin remasters, Isis, hell any band I love. And best of all, thus far ALL of these bands still have the original mixes out there, often bundled into the same packages. And I still enjoy rotating between all of them and savoring the differences.

This is akin to people getting upset over film remakes. No one is taking the originals away, so stick with those if that's your thing. The one notable exception of course being George Fucking Lucas and his campaign to destroy the original theatrical Star Wars versions. That's the one time I've become upset (and still am).
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I just went to buy an original master of Led Zeppelin 1 and it wasn't on Amazon, iTunes, or Google Play.

Strange.

It's almost like they don't want you to hear previous versions.
Don't mow your lawn
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Wow, they did actually remove them from my Apple Music as well.

I'm sure they're easy to find second hand but... fair point!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I'm not really against remasters in principle, but I think it's something that needs to be approached deliberately, like it should be done to fix an issue, but sometimes it seems like it's done to encourage people to buy another copy of music they already have. And we're starting to get away from the super compressed brick wall of the early '00s but we're still close enough that I'm not convinced that a remaster is going to inherently sound better.

Like I don't think the Led Zeppelin remasters are bad, I have the Mothership comp from a few years back and I think they remastered those tracks and they sound really good, but what happens when it isn't better and you now have to try and track down a version that does sound good.

This happened to me a couple of years ago with Raw Power by Iggy & The Stooges. Iggy Pop remixed the album awhile back and it's not great so I had to pay extra for the "Legacy Edition" that featured the original Bowie mixes so I could hear a better version of the album.

Or like when Ozzy remixed his first couple of solo albums and replaced the original drum and bass tracks with new ones recorded by his current band.

These are more remixes though than remasters which I have less experience with honestly.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

The only one of “my” bands albums I ever thought needed a remaster was Pretty Hate Machine by NIN.

It was done and it was great.

I’m not a fan of them in general though.
Hey! Denty!
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Ravenpig wrote:The only one of “my” bands albums I ever thought needed a remaster was Pretty Hate Machine by NIN.

It was done and it was great.

I’m not a fan of them in general though.
Really? I thought the original sounds fine- what don’t you like about it?

And if memory serves me correctly one of the reasons Trent remastered it was there were so many lawsuits for it/TVT he wasn’t even sure who owned what anymore.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

http://www.fourtheye.net/2018/03/final- ... new-album/
heithamalsayed We were honored to be invited to the last rehearsal before the recording begins on TOOL’s new album. I closed my eyes and saw visions, it was so moving to feel the passion unchanged from when I met them about a quarter of a century ago. It made me so happy , I’m truly proud of them and so excited to hear it when the vocals are in place. #tool #newalbum #lastmile #polyrhythm #passion #devotion #adamjones #justinchancellor #dannycarey #maynardjameskeenan
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Strange that level of info would come from an outside source at this point
also, Avatar!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

trilobite wrote:Strange that level of info would come from an outside source at this point
Well, most Tool news in the last few weeks has come from outside sources, so doesn't feel all that strange to me.

I think Tool should actually make some kind of statement though, even if it's just in the form of a Blair Newsletter.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Danny’s shirt...

...will piss off the left, lol.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Krazy_blah wrote:Danny’s shirt...

That’s not the first time he’s worn that. And it’s not the the most offensive shirt he’s worn.

Pretty exciting news. Good luck in the studio, fellas.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Kittaan wrote:
Krazy_blah wrote:Danny’s shirt...

And it’s not the the most offensive shirt he’s worn.
Oh please do share...

I'm not offended by it, I think it's halrious, but you know the PC world we live in now.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

I actually feel bad for Blair. It’s weird how silent he’s been. There is Finally something to write concretely about and add cryptic interest for the future, and we haven’t gotten a newsletter in how long? He kept a lot of interest going with years of not much to work with. Come out of the shadows Blair.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

He can only work with what they give him
also, Avatar!
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

I’m aware. That’s why I’m saying certainly now there must be something to work with after he worked hard and so long with nothing.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

#BlairPleaseComeBack
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

He’s working on the biggest newsletter. Give patience time.
hashtagnewnewsletteronthehorizon
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

TOOL is like the real life Vesuvius from the movie The Rocker, if Vesuvius didn't suck and the level of epicness matched the hype that surrounded them.

Around 4:20 in this clip is exactly how we all will be feeling, except that it will actually be awesome.
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

The album release date has been talked about ad naseum, but now that we finally have some sort of concrete ideas of recording this month. When could we realistically expect the first single to be released? That should be a hell of a day. Finally a full new Tool track!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Assuming for a second that they complete recording in it's entirety by the end of April. Once it's recorded and mixed, there's probably no reason they couldn't get a track out within a month after that.

Personally I think that's unlikely though, as I suspect they will release something closer to the release date, with the usual album pre-sale stuff that bands do these days. I don't see the album getting released anytime before November, and wouldn't surprise me if not 2018 at all (Maynard certainly doesn't seem to expect a release this year).

So based on that theory, I'd say new single may September-ish.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

I cant wait for all the butthurt when they dont play anything new at these festival shows in May.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Be sure to bring your hemorrhoid cream if you are expecting new music at a festival show this summer.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy