Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by xZ1mM3r »

joeypants wrote:That room looks too big to be the drum/tracking room at JHOC (Joe's House of Compression). Could be though, who knows.

Regarding their recording process, it typically goes: drums first, then bass, followed by guitar, vocals at the end. I'm sure there are variations in this for a band with resources like Tool has. But the drum tracks will all be laid down first for the most part, with the other two playing along while he tracks it.
So they actually pay for the studio time to record all the instrumentals, then have May Jay come in and add vocals, which leads to slight music changes, then they pay for more studio time to rerecord the changes that were made after vocals?? That seems inefficient.... Sure seems like they would have already been with MJK to make those musical adjustments to match the lyrics prior to recording today.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
joeypants wrote:That room looks too big to be the drum/tracking room at JHOC (Joe's House of Compression). Could be though, who knows.

Regarding their recording process, it typically goes: drums first, then bass, followed by guitar, vocals at the end. I'm sure there are variations in this for a band with resources like Tool has. But the drum tracks will all be laid down first for the most part, with the other two playing along while he tracks it.
So they actually pay for the studio time to record all the instrumentals, then have May Jay come in and add vocals, which leads to slight music changes, then they pay for more studio time to rerecord the changes that were made after vocals?? That seems inefficient.... Sure seems like they would have already been with MJK to make those musical adjustments to match the lyrics prior to recording today.
I have no earthly idea where they're at with regard to MJK's vocals and adjusting music to fit. The process I described is just the most base level, typical way any band would do it (including Tool on previous albums).

Maynard has said he was "done on all but one" so there's good reason to believe "post vocal adjustments" have already been made. Or that there were very little that need to be made (after all, wouldn't be crazy to think that they've gotten better and more efficient in their process after this long). Who knows? Lots of questions. The only question that's been answered is that it is "Day one." Which is cause enough for celebration.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

It'd be cool if Tool recorded live but idk if I really see that happening.

In regards to Zimmer's point I think they probably have finished the vocal rearranging, but it's not uncommon for bands to record quick demos/scratch tracks ahead of the actual recording to give an idea of the form and sound of the song. Though I imagine have already done given that they have recording capabilities at the loft.
Don't mow your lawn
shade
Maynard Believer

Post by shade »

I believe they're recording at Ocean Studios in Burbank. Pictures for comparison (note the brick wall and red lighting):Image
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Tool in the studio. Only took 12 years..... :roll:

Still not gonna see a new album in 2018 because Fuck #APC2018....Fuck Eat the Elephant and Fuck Maynard for doing an APC album which will delay a Tool release.

@Cal - Fuck Donald Trump and every gun toting Bible Thumping Alt Right White Supremacist Homophobic piece of shit that worships him

Tool should cancel their summer festival shows. Lazy asses shouldn't do a fucking thing other than focus on getting the music tracked
The most intelligent person on this forum
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

RIP Positive Mogret.

Take a deep breath and remember the advice you gave yourself several hundred posts back there buddy.

Try some yoga!

Who loves ya baby?

#HashPipe NewToolBy2019!!!
Ki77aan :twisted:
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

shade wrote:I believe they're recording at Ocean Studios in Burbank. Pictures for comparison (note the brick wall and red lighting):Image
Nice deductive Googling my friend.

Hellboy: take this dude off of the SpamList.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Nice work Shade, whoever you are.

Mog - you are truly an insufferable retard.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

M0G wrote: @Cal - Fuck Donald Trump and every gun toting Bible Thumping Alt Right White Supremacist Homophobic piece of shit that worships him
Well, then...
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

shade wrote:I believe they're recording at Ocean Studios in Burbank. Pictures for comparison (note the brick wall and red lighting):Image
Nailed it! Curious if they're going to only do drums there and the others elsewhere like the other albums.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

I'd just like to remind whoever, TOOL released Lateralus in 2001 & then 5 years later 10K Days.

It's been a whole TWELVE years since release.

Cover your faces and close your mouths

Unless you're into this sort of thing
also, Avatar!
tiresias
Has been

Post by tiresias »

Can’t say I like Mog’s hating on APC, but I like your politics dude. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if a bunch of art lovers living in Malibu, Topanga and Jerome leaned heavily to the left in American politics, so....
“Casual Fan”
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

I don't think you will find many Trump supporters in this forum. That's not what makes him so insufferable.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Calfium Jay wrote:
hellboy wrote:It's pretty short, and I didn't like the political undertones

A hundred bucks says they blame Trump for everything on this confounded new fangled album thing.

But I for one won't be phased.

Stick to your guns - is what my math teacher used to tell me.

There's always one.

I'll match you a grand, on shit post alone.
also, Avatar!
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Let's get back on topic. And, welcome Shade to the family.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Mom's comin round to put it back the way it outta be :lol:
also, Avatar!
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

big props to Shade for that detective searching.

Would they track drums with the guitar, but not track the guitar??

You can see in Adams instagram photo his silverburst leaning on the speaker
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

I do think it's a bit odd for Maynard to come in for just three weeks in March when he would probably be the last of the four members to record; and Adam has been know to take a while to finish his tracking and overdubbing. As Joey, Uke, and Greasy had mentioned - they might actually be recording some of this record live with all four members in the room together.
tiresias
Has been

Post by tiresias »

On topic. Super pumped they are in the studio. Is the shaking in Adam’s post an effect or is it just real loud in there?
“Casual Fan”
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Nose Bleed Riff effect.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Aenima history
also, Avatar!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

For people wanting more info on the studio:

http://oceanstudiosburbank.com/
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Would they track drums with the guitar, but not track the guitar??
Yes. The drums need something to play along with so you'll usually have bass and guitar (and maybe vocals) playing too, but those tracks might not make it on the record. They usually record the final version later.
Don't mow your lawn
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Maynard used a different studio from the rest of the guys to record his vocals for Lateralus I thought.
Canned audience laughter
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote: Would they track drums with the guitar, but not track the guitar??
Yes. The drums need something to play along with so you'll usually have bass and guitar (and maybe vocals) playing too, but those tracks might not make it on the record. They usually record the final version later.
Unless they are going to record it all live (as has been mentioned before) wouldn't the drums have to be recorded in isolation since they have to be mic'd and would pick up the guitar and bass as well? Whatever their process, just freakin' happy it is moving forward.

Given 12 years have passed, how much pressure is there for this album to hit big?