Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
trilobite
Rhandy

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by trilobite »

I'd welcome a delay if it meant the album wasn't finished & the band weren't satisfied with what they were releasing. Which Tool album would you say has been half-assed? Is there one that could've been done without? It's been 13 years, & what bad move has the band made to cripple their fan-base? They're as relevant as they've ever chose to be. The new album will be released in a few months, and you'll jump at the chance to buy it up & blast it through any speakers aimed at your ears. Buy it twice, probably. Would've pre-ordered if it were an option.

The only reason any of us are still here after 13 years is because this band creates unique, painstakingly masterful music that touches us, and has helped us in one way or more. The album will be out when it's ready.
also, Avatar!
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

That said, have you *fucking* heard Descending? :o
also, Avatar!
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

They're not that unique.

Jeez.

:|
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Calfium Jay wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:50 pm They're not that unique.

Jeez.

:|
Compared to what? Those horror/art house movie theme tracks you post. I'm not sure unique is always a good thing.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

trilobite wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:30 pm I'd welcome a delay if it meant the album wasn't finished & the band weren't satisfied with what they were releasing. Which Tool album would you say has been half-assed? Is there one that could've been done without? It's been 13 years, & what bad move has the band made to cripple their fan-base? They're as relevant as they've ever chose to be. The new album will be released in a few months, and you'll jump at the chance to buy it up & blast it through any speakers aimed at your ears. Buy it twice, probably. Would've pre-ordered if it were an option.

The only reason any of us are still here after 13 years is because this band creates unique, painstakingly masterful music that touches us, and has helped us in one way or more. The album will be out when it's ready.
All joking and trolling aside I respect what you are saying and I respect how much Tool’s music means to you. I am teasing some of our newer members but obviously there will be no further delay.

That said, in all seriousness, if there was, I would not buy the album. I completely understand for many delays are not a big deal and I understand many have absolutely no issue at all with how Tool does things and I respect that position as well.

I am not that kind of person and it is not just with Tool. I have stopped supporting other musicians and authors over the way they have handled releases and delays. At a certain point if I feel like delays and general communication are beyond normal or even reasonable timeframes as a consumer it is time to move on. Again that is just me. And you are right Tool does make such fantastic music that additional allowances are made just based off that quality. If Tool’s music wasn’t so good I would never have come back around to even listening to Tool. For awhile there I didn’t even listen to a Tool at all. A significant amount of time to be honest.

I rant and rave because it is fun and I like to get a rise out of people but Tool are not horrible human beings for taking 13 years between albums. I do think they got lazy but as much as I would like to think I would continue to conduct myself in a certain manner I have no idea what having millions and millions of dollars would be like and how it might change me.

I am looking forward to the album. I don’t really care if there are no additional announcements, although I am sure there will be. But if by some strange fluke there was another delay that would be it for me. No angry rants or name calling. But that would be my limit as a consumer. I don’t expect anyone else to view the situation in that way nor do I think any of you are apologists. There is no right or wrong in this.

Again this really isn’t even a relevant discussion. The album will be out on August 30th and I imagine it will be excellent. I will buy a copy but I will not see them live. Again I don’t blame anyone for wanting to see them again or buy merch or any of that. Life is short and everyone should do what makes you happy. I am hard headed about many things and that will never change.

Enjoy your day
The most intelligent person on this forum
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

^I would recommend seeing them live again if possible. They've disappointed me at a few live shows over the years but their recent run, particularly Maynard, was incredibly impressive. Being in the audience felt fresh and special again, for lack of better terms.

I do see your point though about quitting on a band. As soon as European dates were announced back in December (i think), I planned to go assuming they would have released their new album by June 2019. If I'd gone all the way to Europe to see them trot out the same type of 2010 to 2018 sets with no new material at all I probably would've quit on the band... or at least gone close. But their cohesion right now, Maynard's vocals and seeing/hearing both Descending and Invincible live mixed in with other older songs (e.g. The Pot and Intolerance right now sound great live) reassured my beliefs in the band as something pretty damn cool. Perhaps I rediscovered why I love their music so much; their live gigs, especially indoors, have a real power/energy/atmosphere to them.

Also, it's kinda cool to hear snippets of what I can only assume are previews of new material:

From 6:00 onward here it sounds like they are previewing at least perhaps the intro to a new song (reminds me of Lost Keys) and I love the darker, strange sounds just before Adam starts Vicarious here... 8:30 onward :)
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

mattw wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:30 am ^I would recommend seeing them live again if possible. They've disappointed me at a few live shows over the years but their recent run, particularly Maynard, was incredibly impressive. Being in the audience felt fresh and special again, for lack of better terms.

I do see your point though about quitting on a band. As soon as European dates were announced back in December (i think), I planned to go assuming they would have released their new album by June 2019. If I'd gone all the way to Europe to see them trot out the same type of 2010 to 2018 sets with no new material at all I probably would've quit on the band... or at least gone close. But their cohesion right now, Maynard's vocals and seeing/hearing both Descending and Invincible live mixed in with other older songs (e.g. The Pot and Intolerance right now sound great live) reassured my beliefs in the band as something pretty damn cool. Perhaps I rediscovered why I love their music so much; their live gigs, especially indoors, have a real power/energy/atmosphere to them.

Also, it's kinda cool to hear snippets of what I can only assume are previews of new material:

From 6:00 onward here it sounds like they are previewing at least perhaps the intro to a new song (reminds me of Lost Keys) and I love the darker, strange sounds just before Adam starts Vicarious here... 8:30 onward :)
I won’t see them live it is just the way I am seeing them live would be a sort of acceptance that how they have gone about things over the last 8 years is okay and for me it is not. As I said I don’t expect anyone else to see the situation the same way. We all have our quirks and principles and odd lines in the sand on different things. Right, wrong, or indifferent this is just one of mine.

That said what I have seen on the YouTubez I completely agree they sound fantastic at the moment. Maynard in particular sounds better than he has in years. Danny is still out of his mind. I have no doubt anyone attending a show will not be disappointed, particularly with Junior working his superb visual and lighting magic.

Okay that is more than enough positivity out of me I would not want to diminish the bad reputation I have so diligently worked to maintain.

So fuck packaging and batteries and plastic discs ;)
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

M0G wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:38 am
I won’t see them live it is just the way I am seeing them live would be a sort of acceptance that how they have gone about things over the last 8 years is okay and for me it is not. As I said I don’t expect anyone else to see the situation the same way. We all have our quirks and principles and odd lines in the sand on different things. Right, wrong, or indifferent this is just one of mine.
As long as you understand that is absolutely the definition of " cutting off your nose to spite your face". Be bigger than yourself Mog, you have one life :milk it.

He just curses the sun so he can howl at the moon.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

mogeye.net/f
Canned audience laughter
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Jelly?
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Not at all, brevity is the soul of wit, let him play the fool.
Canned audience laughter
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

My word, this thread is getting painful. We need an update if for no other reason!!
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Takeo wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:55 am My word, this thread is getting painful. We need an update if for no other reason!!
It's been 13 years of painful if you wish to view it like that. The album is out August 30. Until then it's just shooting the shit.

Some people have a lot more shit to shoot than others. That's life. :)
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

tys0n wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:34 am Not at all, brevity is the soul of wit, let him play the fool.
Coming from a guy who calls other users cunts every fourth post this is amusing at best. Don’t play at being an intellectual Tyson it doesn’t suit you never has. Half assed satire and art house noire by all means but when you quote Hamlet you simply look like a fool.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

liz wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:25 am
M0G wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:38 am
As long as you understand that is absolutely the definition of " cutting off your nose to spite your face". Be bigger than yourself Mog, you have one life :milk it.

He just curses the sun so he can howl at the moon.
Indeed the definition is accurate. As you said one life to live and we all chose to live it on our own terms in our own way. At least those of us lucky enough to even have such options depending on where we live and our socio-economic situations. All of our lives here are quite care free if we can spend time mulling or debating an album release rather than worrying about how we are going to survive the next day.

In that context I don’t imagine either one of us have any significant complaints.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

tys0n wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:34 am Not at all, brevity is the soul of wit, let him play the fool.
Furthermore you playing the brevity angle is disingenuous. You take yourself more seriously than anyone on this forum you always have. You are just as arrogant as I am the difference is I own it. You hide behind satire, memes, and random video clips. You play the comedian when in reality you think you are right in every situation. If I was a kind person I would say you are being hypocritical but seeing as I am not I will call a spade a spade and say you are entirely full of shit.

Cheers Mate
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

the pendulum swings! Mogs got a point there. 1 inch to having the luxury to complain about everything inbetween while people are starving in Bali ;) or Africa or wherever.

i dont think anyone takes anything overly serious here or for too long. i kinda saw that after awhile. everyone wants/needs more of something but things could be a lot worse.

**you threw in the Tyson post as i was typing this. i dont think he was ripping on you that bad, Mog. 16th century language blows but maybe that was part of the humour i guess.

k, therapy is over,times up!
Raffa D
of Arimathea

Post by Raffa D »

And now Justin Biebers girlfriend is mad at Maynard for his response 'bummer' about Justin being a toolfan.

Lol.

Who cares about Bieber's angry girlfriend. Certainly Maynard doesn't.

Curious if there will be a reaction from him.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

haha, i saw that just a bit ago. who cares is right but its funny. the bieber crowd bringing that b.s to the tool camp. sure M responded with #bummer but she should understand the attention Bieber brings to himself. a month or so ago he challenged Tom Cruise to a cage match fight or something stupid like that. come on! u cant expect people to not make fun of this guy! hes prob more understanding then his wife is over this!
Matthewc25
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Matthewc25 »

He posted the music video for “Hush”!! I think that was his response to Beibs wife! “FUUUUUUCCKKKK YOOOOUUU!” I I “can say what I want to, even if I’m not serious!”
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Matthewc25 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:38 am He posted the music video for “Hush”!! I think that was his response to Beibs wife! “FUUUUUUCCKKKK YOOOOUUU!” I I “can say what I want to, even if I’m not serious!”
\

did he? excellent! :)
Matthewc25
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Matthewc25 »

He did! It’s weird he wouldn’t have the video posted on Tools official YouTube page though. But it’s still epic that he posted it!
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

since when did tool have an official YT page ? or do u mean the official instagram tool page ?

maybe he doesnt want to bring the bieber b.s to the official tool page which shows class or he just doesnt want to put official videos on their sites cause of $$$ or something else i cant think of.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

bob wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:24 am since when did tool have an official YT page ? or do u mean the official instagram tool page ?

maybe he doesnt want to bring the bieber b.s to the official tool page which shows class or he just doesnt want to put official videos on their sites cause of $$$ or something else i cant think of.
I believe this is Tool's youtube page. It doesn't have any content on it tho. It was briefly listed in the "socials" tab of toolband.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1wUo- ... Q/featured
PulsedHalo
Has been

Post by PulsedHalo »

Maynard posted the video on his twitter. Not sure if it's an official youtube page though.