Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
junior
Green Herbsman

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by junior »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:I may be wrong but isn't today (yesterday) HB's birthday as well?
It is, but the 20th in Australia was like a week ago, or something. And add that weird Adelaide time zone in the mix and I can't be sure.
GabesCaves
My pain is just an excuse

Post by GabesCaves »

This tour Tool's US dates are at festivals or college/minor league arenas. If I recall correctly, none of the US shows are at NHL arenas, yet all of the Canadian shows are. Anyone know if there is an issue with the US major league arenas?
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

GabesCaves wrote:This tour Tool's US dates are at festivals or college/minor league arenas. If I recall correctly, none of the US shows are at NHL arenas, yet all of the Canadian shows are. Anyone know if there is an issue with the US major league arenas?
Probably cheaper to book some of the smaller, older arenas along with possible scheduling conflicts. Also that quote isn't necessarily true- the Sacramento, St. Paul, and San Jose shows are in major league arenas.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
GabesCaves

Post by GabesCaves »

Krazy_blah wrote:
GabesCaves wrote:This tour Tool's US dates are at festivals or college/minor league arenas. If I recall correctly, none of the US shows are at NHL arenas, yet all of the Canadian shows are. Anyone know if there is an issue with the US major league arenas?
Probably cheaper to book some of the smaller, older arenas along with possible scheduling conflicts. Also that quote isn't necessarily true- the Sacramento, St. Paul, and San Jose shows are in major league arenas.
Thanks, I ran thru Ticketmaster again and realized this after I posted

Guess I have north east tool envy. Very few shows the last ten years, and weird venues. Im skipping the Festivals in NY and Bos, instead driving down to a smallish college BB arena in VA and AHL arena in Hershey. Worth it to see their shows indoors. Can't wait. It's been tool long
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

Please help to complete the list
arguments that speak for an imminent release of the new album:
  • video of Adam and Motörhead in the studio
  • the closer was brought in (that was already 2 years go, time flies) http://i.imgur.com/F4zJJkJ.jpg
  • Adam posted a photo of a lobster on instagram not too long ago
  • Tool in discussion with streaming services
arguments that speak against a release:
  • Maynard (who was actually always surprisingly honest on all things tool) said that once they'll hit the studio, we'll be the first to know. so far, no further comments have been made.
  • someone pointed out that the closer etc. was connected to the curve ball - which is said to be the new opiate video, rather than a new album. this would eliminate the 2 arguments above.
  • it seems near to impossible to secretely record, mix and master a full length album these days.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I saw your post on Reddit Lukas. I don't have a heap to add, my opinion is that there is very little evidence to suggest an imminent release of the new album that actually rings true at all.

We've had it confirmed in a number of places that recent photos of studios are either the Loft or it's temporary (possibly permanent) replacement.
We've had confirmation that Maynard is "working on" vocals. Note "working on" not "finished" or "recording".
Adam is a rockstar and probably eats Lobster every second night.
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

Adam is a rockstar and probably eats Lobster every second night.
:D :D
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

All of this speculation...
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
greasy
Has been

Post by greasy »

If I were a member of the band, and the album was finished or close to finished, and was planning an unannounced release......speculation is exactly what I would want to see on the internet. Are we playing right along with their game again?
Yes, I am the same Greasy from the hubs (remember AMT?)

https://www.ebay.com/str/cgreinsky
unclejackson

Post by unclejackson »

We'll see.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

No.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

nxrm wrote:All of this speculation...
Yes.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

greasy wrote:If I were a member of the band, and the album was finished or close to finished, and was planning an unannounced release......speculation is exactly what I would want to see on the internet. Are we playing right along with their game again?
Do the band speculate on how much speculation the fanbase does in order to meet the speculation levels required for an unannounced album release?
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

What exactly are the benefits of a 'secret' album release anyways? A surprise treat for the fans? When have Tool done anything for the fans? It's been 11 years since they've done anything relevant and although they have their die-hard fanbase, the casual fan has probably forgotten about and/or stopped caring about the band long ago. They need all the promotion for a new album that they can get.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

fortysixand2 wrote:What exactly are the benefits of a 'secret' album release anyways? A surprise treat for the fans? When have Tool done anything for the fans? It's been 11 years since they've done anything relevant and although they have their die-hard fanbase, the casual fan has probably forgotten about and/or stopped caring about the band long ago. They need all the promotion for a new album that they can get.
I agree, the logic behind a "secret" album release just doesn't add up to me.

My opinion has always been and remains that when Tool hit the studio in preparation for the new album, we'll all know about it.
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

My opinion has always been and remains that when Tool hit the studio in preparation for the new album, we'll all know about it.
I agree
whjeffs
Maynard Believer

Post by whjeffs »

fortysixand2 wrote:What exactly are the benefits of a 'secret' album release anyways? A surprise treat for the fans? When have Tool done anything for the fans? It's been 11 years since they've done anything relevant and although they have their die-hard fanbase, the casual fan has probably forgotten about and/or stopped caring about the band long ago. They need all the promotion for a new album that they can get.
The only benefit to a "secret" album release is to reduce the possibility of an early leak. IF they released the album with no advance notice, it would be huge news. They would get plenty of instant promotion via social media, which I believe today is more important (and cheaper!) than advance print ads, radio commercials, billboards. I think an unannounced release via streaming music services would generate more first week sales than weeks/months of old school promotion because as we all know with 10,000 Days it was on the internet for free before you could buy it.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

lukas wrote:arguments that speak against a release:
  • Maynard (who was actually always surprisingly honest on all things tool)
I giggled a little. *in recent years
also, Avatar!
greasy
Has been

Post by greasy »

whjeffs wrote:
The only benefit to a "secret" album release is to reduce the possibility of an early leak. IF they released the album with no advance notice, it would be huge news. They would get plenty of instant promotion via social media, which I believe today is more important (and cheaper!) than advance print ads, radio commercials, billboards. I think an unannounced release via streaming music services would generate more first week sales than weeks/months of old school promotion because as we all know with 10,000 Days it was on the internet for free before you could buy it.
Preventing another leak like 10,000 days is a major motivator. As for generating sales by using a giant promotion machine....well....NIN already proved that business model is dead when they released Year Zero. All they had was a cryptic website for a little while, then started releasing singles via USB drives hidden in bathrooms at shows. That album sold quite well and was headline news when it was released.....tons of free promotion.

THAT is how you satisfy us rabid Tool fans....slam us in the head with a sledgehammer and drop the album.

THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

All this talk about dropping a secret album release is absolutely ridiculous. They are nowhere near finished they haven't even hit the damn studio and Maynard is busy with APC. Tool are currently wasting more time as we speak as they are likely practicing for the next leg in their never ending greatest hits tour.

They have you hook, line, and sinker. You keep falling for it. You keep lining their pockets while they do nothing. It is pathetic.
greasy
Has been

Post by greasy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote: You keep lining their pockets while they do nothing.
Actually I am in NJ, and we havent had a show closeby in 10 years. I havent even been given a chance to 'line their pockets' since a couple years after 10k days released.

MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

I mean touring is not "doing nothing". It's just not doing what most of us prefer. When i go home and play Overwatch for 3 hours... That's doing nothing.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote: They have you hook, line, and sinker. You keep falling for it. You keep lining their pockets while they do nothing. It is pathetic.
No one is falling for anything, as I doubt anyone has any doubt as to where the money goes when they pay for tickets. The band touring is not the roadblock for the new album.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

MobileVortex wrote:I mean touring is not "doing nothing". It's just not doing what most of us prefer. When i go home and play Overwatch for 3 hours... That's doing nothing.
You lazy fuck - I bet it's been over 10 years since you released an album too?
munchieswolf
Bronco's Fan

Post by munchieswolf »

People saying they'll do a "secret" surprise release to prevent leaks are weird. A surprise release implies digital first, physical later anyway. Where's the leak going to come from? Danny?