Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

joeypants wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:10 pm I disagree, but that is a totally fair opinion.

Now Vicarious on the other hand... I wish they'd stop playing if he can't/won't nail the end. Kills the entire song for me.
Haha its funny coz that part doesn't seem to bother me as much as it does others but totally get what ya saying. I'd be happy for them to swap it for a rarer song solely coz I've seen it so many times but understand why it's a staple
Listen to All Them Witches
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

joeypants wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:10 pm Now Vicarious on the other hand... I wish they'd stop playing if he can't/won't nail the end. Kills the entire song for me.
I always thought this was done on purpose, as it is written to be sung by the crowd and then he replies 'much better you than I'
Canned audience laughter
lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

tys0n wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:43 pm
joeypants wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:10 pm Now Vicarious on the other hand... I wish they'd stop playing if he can't/won't nail the end. Kills the entire song for me.
I always thought this was done on purpose, as it is written to be sung by the crowd and then he replies 'much better you than I'
That's what I thought as well 🤔
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

bob wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:22 pm Danny's been doing his synth/drum thing for a few tours or a bit longer even.(cant remember exactly) thats a good way to fill time/give M a break vocally. i dont think this will be on the album. also the ''intermissions'' are about 14 minutes long now? geeze.

I think it was mentioned in one of the VIPs that it will be on the album. I think one of the band members said that Danny Carey's drum solo on the new album will have a Terence McKenna sample, which I believe CCTrip has a TMK sample.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Maynard singing Vicarious through a megaphone is what kills it for me - not so bothered about the final chorus. I like the song, but think it should be retired if Maynard can't sing it - there's plenty of other songs I'd rather hear.
DeadGuyAle
of Arimathea

Post by DeadGuyAle »

Bill Hilly wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:24 pm I think it was mentioned in one of the VIPs that it will be on the album. I think one of the band members said that Danny Carey's drum solo on the new album will have a Terence McKenna sample, which I believe CCTrip has a TMK sample.

I really hope you are wrong.
DeadGuyAle
of Arimathea

Post by DeadGuyAle »

bob wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:22 pm
gamebounty wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:08 pm Somebody mentioned that it sounds like Merkaba 2, which has me hyped. Think I'll abstain from hearing it until the album drops.
Danny's been doing his synth/drum thing for a few tours or a bit longer even.(cant remember exactly) thats a good way to fill time/give M a break vocally. i dont think this will be on the album. also the ''intermissions'' are about 14 minutes long now? geeze.
Yes, it's 15 minutes now with a timer counting down. When we saw them, the guy next to me thought that it would stop at 08/30 because that's when the new album was coming out, but I knew that it would keep going. Strange...silence, nothing, not even Intermission playing..
NowhereFaded
Bronco's Fan

Post by NowhereFaded »

Can someone post a vid of Maynard singing vicarious through a megaphone?? That’s new to me.
BTW how awesome was Maynard’s voice on part of me?!
Dude killed it. And at 55 no less. The guy is a stud!
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

NowhereFaded wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:46 pm Can someone post a vid of Maynard singing vicarious through a megaphone?? That’s new to me.
I bet if you watch any of the Summer 2010 shows on ToolArchive you'll find it. He was definitely doing it at the Cali shows that tour.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
Wychowski
of Arimathea

Post by Wychowski »

Bill Hilly wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:24 pm I think it was mentioned in one of the VIPs that it will be on the album. I think one of the band members said that Danny Carey's drum solo on the new album will have a Terence McKenna sample, which I believe CCTrip has a TMK sample.
This is a little troubling. This, along with other segue type material could potentially mean an album of only 5 (albeit lengthy) actual songs. I get it that there has always been a place for this sort of stuff on Tool albums (since Aenima, at least), but does anyone not just consider the likes of this just filler? Does anyone actually listen to useful idiot, etc etc?? Precious album time lost.

Still holding a candle for a double album despite knowing that its about as likely as world peace.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

NowhereFaded wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:46 pm Can someone post a vid of Maynard singing vicarious through a megaphone?? That’s new to me.
Scroll up a couple of posts to the last show recording

Maynard's voice has been great this tour - not sure why he needs to "hide" it for Vicarious. Maybe he just likes the effect? Maybe it just sits in a strange spot in his vocal register. Either way I think it makes the rendition of the song feel flat.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

I really think Danny's new solo is awesome and I welcome it on the new album. If there's one segue on this new album, wouldn't you rather have a Danny Carey drum solo than something of the likes of Viginti Tres for fucks sake?
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Wychowski wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:55 pm
This is a little troubling. This, along with other segue type material could potentially mean an album of only 5 (albeit lengthy) actual songs. I get it that there has always been a place for this sort of stuff on Tool albums (since Aenima, at least), but does anyone not just consider the likes of this just filler? Does anyone actually listen to useful idiot, etc etc?? Precious album time lost.

Still holding a candle for a double album despite knowing that its about as likely as world peace.
Something like Mantra, Useful idiot etc I can do without but I consider Lost Keys & Intension segues and dig the shit out of both of them so all depends what they end up being I guess. I can see it being a double album in a similar vein to Metallicas Hardwired album. Say 90 minutes of music altogether with about 6 songs and a bunch of segues
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

the fillers or whatever you call them on Lateralus were less filler like then on aenima. some of those are like whatever now. useful idiot is kind of cool. and of course the intermission after hook,before Jimmy is awesome. an old friend of mine wondered what did they write first ? chicken or the egg ? bahah
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Yes, it's 15 minutes now with a timer counting down. When we saw them, the guy next to me thought that it would stop at 08/30 because that's when the new album was coming out, but I knew that it would keep going. Strange...silence, nothing, not even Intermission playing..
i should ask for confirmation on this one. when i saw them in 2017 i was pretty close to the stage..as the intermission started i swore it counted down from 11:11 but i hardly noticed it and it goes so fast i wasnt sure but im pretty sure..anyone else see that ?
Wychowski
of Arimathea

Post by Wychowski »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:05 pm Something like Mantra, Useful idiot etc I can do without but I consider Lost Keys & Intension segues and dig the shit out of both of them so all depends what they end up being I guess. I can see it being a double album in a similar vein to Metallicas Hardwired album. Say 90 minutes of music altogether with about 6 songs and a bunch of segues
I agree... Although, Lost Keys & Intension etc while are all very listenable... I suspect most would willingly trade them off for more of the more complex, rich tracks that Tool are known and loved for.

I promised myself I'd listen to Hardwired again once I get my legally obtained, free copy (& good on Metallica for doing that too).
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

I think it was mentioned in one of the VIPs that it will be on the album. I think one of the band members said that Danny Carey's drum solo on the new album will have a Terence McKenna sample, which I believe CCTrip has a TMK sample.
aah, i hope not but will see i guess.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Wychowski wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:34 pm
Busty McCracken wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:05 pm Something like Mantra, Useful idiot etc I can do without but I consider Lost Keys & Intension segues and dig the shit out of both of them so all depends what they end up being I guess. I can see it being a double album in a similar vein to Metallicas Hardwired album. Say 90 minutes of music altogether with about 6 songs and a bunch of segues
I agree... Although, Lost Keys & Intension etc while are all very listenable... I suspect most would willingly trade them off for more of the more complex, rich tracks that Tool are known and loved for.

I promised myself I'd listen to Hardwired again once I get my legally obtained, free copy (& good on Metallica for doing that too).
They don't get much love around these parts but I dig the living shit out of that album when ya consider some of the crap they've dealt out the 20 odd years prior. Scrap about 4 songs off the 2nd disc and you've got yourself a pretty bloody solid Metallica album. Very much looking forward to hearing songs like Halo on Fire and moth into flame live later in the year.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I love segues. Will be somewhat disappointed if we have less than 60 minutes of "music"
Wychowski
of Arimathea

Post by Wychowski »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:59 pm They don't get much love around these parts but I dig the living shit out of that album when ya consider some of the crap they've dealt out the 20 odd years prior. Scrap about 4 songs off the 2nd disc and you've got yourself a pretty bloody solid Metallica album. Very much looking forward to hearing songs like Halo on Fire and moth into flame live later in the year.
From what i recall, i enjoyed the album more than i thought i would.
As am I!... Along with the classics we all grew up with and old to.

I love that they're giving away a recording of the show too!
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

Cc trip sounds a little more fleshed out and shorter to me than the average Danny Carey solo.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

I think we all can agree that the megaphone sucks balls
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Yo Tool. Hey man, can we get a resurrection of Undertow as the deep cut for one of these shows? Please broh? Thanks.
ajreeb
Maynard Believer

Post by ajreeb »

Random thoughts by me.
Descending and Invincible sound like Tool music with APC vocals. Not saying that’s bad, just saying. (Ok, that’s bad).
I saw them them in Hampton VA and the show lacked urgency.
They don’t need an opening band.
New lighting and visuals are sweet.