Video game news

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Video game news

Post by hellboy »

Starting to see some progress on the sequel to the much underrated Mount & Blade.

It may not look like much to many of you, but brings me many boners.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Any thoughts on Fallout 4 only going to be running at 30 fps? Was a bit disappointed on that news at first, but I would rather have a game that works and plays smoothly.

Gotta give Bethesda props on how they have handled the Fallout 4 build up. Most developers have the hype train going at least a year out and half the time by release date it is still buggy and incomplete. Bethesda basically said nothing, worked on the game and then announced it 4 months prior to their release date. The game is basically done. I lost a lot of respect for Bethesda after the PS3 Skyrim debacle (it IS a great game, but was a mess for so many users on PS3) but they seemed to have learned from that experience. I also like that they seem to be giving id time to work on Doom so they can get it right. They could have leaned on them to try to get it out for the XMas rush but they are not doing that and I am sure it will show in the end product.

Man it is an interesting time in gaming at the moment. Finally seeing the separation from last gen to current which gives the developers a hell of alot more room to play and be creative not having to worry about porting to older systems. The only problem is most of the big Triple A publishers are taking the Activison approach and chopping up the vanilla release and selling you the full game in the form of DLC. And then of course you have microtransactions which are generally a clusterfuck. Raises the question, is gaming getting better or worse? I just hope the gaming community at large stops preordering, particularly Season pass and DLC. It puts far more pressure on developers to actually fill the vanilla release with plenty of content if they are not working off the assumption that they already have 90% of their fans roped into a Season pass preorder. I am not saying don't buy DLC. I am saying wait on it. Don't buy into the bullshit cross marketing campaigns for shit you don't need like skins and other crap that doesn't impact game play.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Stellaris sounds like it's going to be stellar!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08 ... tegy-game/

THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Gears of War Ultimate Edition...tomorrow...Mad Max next week. Me balls are tingling

THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Gears Ultimate Edition early thoughts:

The Coalition has done a really good job with a 10 year old game. Visually it absolutely looks better. It plays a bit smoother, although it is still plagued by clunky AI and annoying squad mates. That said I am enjoying the game. It certainly brings back a sense of nostalgia and has me looking forward to what Coalition will be able to do with Gears 4 on current gen hardware. Out of the reviews I have read so far, I think Gamespot got it right with a 7/10. Of course fanboys the internet over threw a fit with what they thought was a low score for a game that was GOY 10 years ago but the reality of the situation is that the reviewer correctly analyzed the game based off current standards. Ten years ago Gears was ground breaking. Now Gears 1 feels dated and as I said before, at times, a bit clunky. Some of the initial issues that plagued the first Gears are still present, particularly the cover system which isn't always as smart as it should be.

Bottom line, it is a good remaster. I think some people might have had some unrealistic expectations coming into it. There is only so much you can do with a 10 year old game. Moreover, I find it a bit odd how 7/10 seems to get such a negative response with people. A 7/10 is a GOOD score. I see 8, 9 and even 10/10 thrown around way too easily for games that absolutely do not deserve it.

If you like Gears of War, this is absolutely worth purchasing. $40 bucks for a solid remaster plus all the other Gears games when the Backwards Compatibility update is out and access to the Gears 4 beta. Just go into it with slightly lower expectations and I suspect you will enjoy the experience.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

I could never get into gears when it first came out, but i was able to test the Multiplayer for the Ultimate Edition earlier this year and was pretty impressed. It was extremely smooth, and I had fun playing it. Even though it always seems that Gears matches are nothing but a shotgun fest and power weapons. It used to be the clunky cover system that I didnt like about gears, but this felt a lot better then I remembered. I may have to play one of them when they get unlocked for backwards comparability, as i already own the license for at least 2 of them through the games with gold program.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

MobileVortex wrote:I could never get into gears when it first came out, but i was able to test the Multiplayer for the Ultimate Edition earlier this year and was pretty impressed. It was extremely smooth, and I had fun playing it. Even though it always seems that Gears matches are nothing but a shotgun fest and power weapons. It used to be the clunky cover system that I didnt like about gears, but this felt a lot better then I remembered. I may have to play one of them when they get unlocked for backwards comparability, as i already own the license for at least 2 of them through the games with gold program.
Multiplayer is running at 60fps. Single player only running at 30fps. Multiplayer is going to play smoother. Campaign has more going on and is heavy on visuals so they dropped it to 30fps. Still slightly surprised that they couldn't do the campaign in 60fps but it isn't that big of a deal. Looks great and plays pretty well.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Dishonored - Definitive Edition out today. $40.00 bucks includes remastered game and DLC. Not a bad buy.

THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Mad Max is a blast. Nothing ground breaking just a shitload of fun.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

Trying to resist buying all these games this fall. First i have to resist the Destiny expansion. I was really heavy into this game until the 2nd expansion came out and then it just fizzled out. I started playing it again to get that stupid year one emblem, beat skolas for the first time last night, just need a few more gold chests. Ugh 2 months ago i was 100% not even interested in the taken king, but all the info that has came out recently looks like a lot of fun. We will see how good the base game is when the DLC drops.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

MobileVortex wrote:Trying to resist buying all these games this fall. First i have to resist the Destiny expansion. I was really heavy into this game until the 2nd expansion came out and then it just fizzled out. I started playing it again to get that stupid year one emblem, beat skolas for the first time last night, just need a few more gold chests. Ugh 2 months ago i was 100% not even interested in the taken king, but all the info that has came out recently looks like a lot of fun. We will see how good the base game is when the DLC drops.
Dude I am right there with you with Destiny. I played the shit out of it but over time it became apparent just how much of the game was changed in the last year of development and how much of the DLC was already present on the disk. The Vanilla release was a joke in terms of content. It is the Activision model...trim the Vanilla game down, take out elements and sell those elements as DLC. I had three maxed out characters but I was so disgusted with House of Wolves that I deleted all my characters and deleted the game as well. I legit will never buy or play a Bungievision game ever again. Their model represents everything that is wrong with gaming right now.

As for the fall/winter I have already preordered Halo 5, Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront, Uncharted Trilogy remaster, Uncharted 4. I am holding off on preordering Rainbow Seige, The Divsion, Battleborn, Assassins Creed Syndicate and the new Tomb Raider game. As a rule I have come to a place where I simply refuse to preorder games any longer. There are exceptions, but overall I feel like preorders have a profoundly negative impact on the industry. Particularly preordering DLC. Under no circumstance will I preorder a season pass or DLC of any kind. It takes all the pressure off the developer as it pertains to the Vanilla release. They can cut corners, cut out content, and basically fuck over the consumer and there is nothing you can do about it. They already have your money. The more gamers refrain from preordering, paritcularly DLC/Season Passes, the better off the industry will be.

Oh and fuck micro transactions. I don't need a new fucking skin or an emote or some other bullshit that has no relevance to the actual game play.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:Dude I am right there with you with Destiny. I played the shit out of it but over time it became apparent just how much of the game was changed in the last year of development and how much of the DLC was already present on the disk. The Vanilla release was a joke in terms of content. It is the Activision model...trim the Vanilla game down, take out elements and sell those elements as DLC. I had three maxed out characters but I was so disgusted with House of Wolves that I deleted all my characters and deleted the game as well. I legit will never buy or play a Bungievision game ever again. Their model represents everything that is wrong with gaming right now.

As for the fall/winter I have already preordered Halo 5, Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront, Uncharted Trilogy remaster, Uncharted 4. I am holding off on preordering Rainbow Seige, The Divsion, Battleborn, Assassins Creed Syndicate and the new Tomb Raider game. As a rule I have come to a place where I simply refuse to preorder games any longer. There are exceptions, but overall I feel like preorders have a profoundly negative impact on the industry. Particularly preordering DLC. Under no circumstance will I preorder a season pass or DLC of any kind. It takes all the pressure off the developer as it pertains to the Vanilla release. They can cut corners, cut out content, and basically fuck over the consumer and there is nothing you can do about it. They already have your money. The more gamers refrain from preordering, paritcularly DLC/Season Passes, the better off the industry will be.

Oh and fuck micro transactions. I don't need a new fucking skin or an emote or some other bullshit that has no relevance to the actual game play.
I agree that the game was watered down and their DLC model is off-putting, but i used to buy every assassins creed game that came out yearly and the cost difference is only like $15 if you look at it that way. Look I'm already trying to justify it. If my buddy and I wern't able to share the cost of all games by purchasing digitally i would no doubt pass on it. Since we can split it $20 each doesnt seem that bad. We pretty much coordinate what games we want to buy and trade off and on which games we get. So far 100% we are getting Halo 5 and Battlefront. Neither of us have played any of the fallout, so that's off the list for now even tho it looks great. I cant deny I'm looking at rockband. Used to throw a lot of parties with that game, and my wife and I would play it constantly when we were dating, but I can probably wait for a pricedrop. Rainbow Six is on my radar, as is assassins creed, it will really depend how hooked i get on Halo and Battlefront on if i get either of them. The division looks great, but i'm afraid Ubisoft will pull another Watch Dogs with this title, only time will tell on that one. I cant see it releasing until this time next year. I've been in the Gigantic Alpha/Beta, and it's a lot of fun, good Free to Play game that you can get a few quick matches in when you got time to kill.

As for micro transactions, i dont mind them if it's just for a skin. I like the league of legends model. The only thing you pay for is skins, and they are not necessary to game-play at all. I have purchased a few, but I'm all for supporting developers. I've logged so many hours in that game, they deserve a little bit of my $$$. I totally get not purchasing them though. When my friends an I get on and have a full fleet of Arcade skins, it's a lot of fun trolling the other team :P. Worth my $7 haha.

Did you see the Halo 5 opening cinematic? I can't wait...
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'm more or less done with consoles, so never got around to playing Halo 4. I did enjoy the other three though, and would welcome PC versions of Halo should they ever come to fruition.

As for pre-ordering, I have done this in the past and never ended up significatly disappointed, but done see any reason to pre-order games anymore. It just seems to encourage the whole DLC/pre-order bonus rorting that goes on with the big publishers. The only exception I'd make for this would be collectable stuff such as the Fallout 4 pipboy, but I never did get around to ordering that.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

The open battlefront beta started today, has anyone tried it out yet?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Nope, too busy playing MGSV to bother with some shitty EA multiplayer FPS
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

MobileVortex wrote:The open battlefront beta started today, has anyone tried it out yet?
Yep I tried it out on the PS4. Not bad. Only running at 900p which is lame. Does maintain a fairly consistent 60fps. Mechanics aren't bad. Definitely a Battlefield vibe, but they did a good job with keeping with the Star Wars lore and setting. Not a bad game. I will play it a bit, but with all the games I have ahead of it I probably won't touch it much until January. I will be on the XBox One for the rest of the year once I finish the Uncharted remaster that came out today.

Gaming Schedule:
XBox One
Halo 5
Fallout 4
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Assassins Creed Syndicate

Will slip in some Battlefront on the PS4 now and again.

Next year I will mostly be on the PS4. Other than Just Cause 3, which I will play on the XBox One, the rest of the games I will play will be on the PS4.

PS4
Jan-April
Battlefront
Battleborn
Uncharted 4
The Division

Haven't decided which console I am going to play Doom on yet.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

hellboy wrote:Nope, too busy playing MGSV to bother with some shitty EA multiplayer FPS
Mother Base....Solid Snake.... :lol:

Battlefront > MGSV (Japanese Games suck balls :p )
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

I'm so ready for Halo 5. I should have a good 8-10 hours with it before I jump on a plane for AZ. I'm confident that MS/343 will have their shit together for launch day, and I'll actually get to play.

Side note: Destiny Year 2 is a blast. I know it left a sour taste in your mouth (understandably so), but it's worth another go :).
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

MobileVortex wrote:I'm so ready for Halo 5. I should have a good 8-10 hours with it before I jump on a plane for AZ. I'm confident that MS/343 will have their shit together for launch day, and I'll actually get to play.

Side note: Destiny Year 2 is a blast. I know it left a sour taste in your mouth (understandably so), but it's worth another go :).
Hit me up if you wanna run some Halo 5. Wanna get a crew together to run the shit out of Warzone. I will play a bunch of traditional arena as well, but Warzone just looks like too much fun.

As for Destiny, no fucking way. BungieVision is the plague of the industry. No disrespect intended, I am honestly glad they fixed some things and apparently it is a better experience, but the way they went about slicing out the vanilla release and releasing content that was supposed to be in the original game as DLC and then have the balls to lock out year one players that didn't buy the Taken King is absolutely ridiculous. I have always hated Activision. Never thought I would hate Bungie but I sure as shit do now. It doesn't impact me directly, I can afford to buy whatever game I want. It is about those that cannot and about the state of AAA gaming. We are in a fight and our only weapon is our wallets. That is why I will not pre-order DLC and why I don't pre-order many games any longer. At this point unless I know the game is basically done, I am not gonna pre-order it. Don't care about skins, shaders or emotes!

Happy gaming!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:
hellboy wrote:Nope, too busy playing MGSV to bother with some shitty EA multiplayer FPS
Mother Base....Solid Snake.... :lol:

Battlefront > MGSV (Japanese Games suck balls :p )
I normally agree with Japanese Games, but this time around it's different. MGSV is rivaling Witcher 3 for GOTY at the moment for me.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I generally prefer Western games, but I usually find the game design of the Japanese games I play to be a lot more interesting than that of Western developers.
Don't mow your lawn
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Halo 5 two weeks motherfuckers

Just look at the majesty that is Warzone. LOOK!!! Behold the power and glory!!

[youtube][/youtube]
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Official PlayStation Holiday 2015 Commercial. Star Wars: Battlefront.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.