What are you listening to?

Music in all its forms and styles
liz
Lunchinator

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by liz »

"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

Love Gojira will be seeing them Aug 27 for the first time opening for Slipknot! Really digging Jinjer right meow! Their album "Cloud Factory" gives me chills. I think I've found a band to occupy my time.
All well Whatever, Nevermind
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

Gojira are tops. Can't believe I only started listening to them a year ago. I'd seen the name floating around for years, but had no idea...

M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Shed523 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:00 am Love Gojira will be seeing them Aug 27 for the first time opening for Slipknot! Really digging Jinjer right meow! Their album "Cloud Factory" gives me chills. I think I've found a band to occupy my time.
Slipknot ugh really? Fucking Slipknot. Slipknot is shit always has been always will be. If anything Slipknot should be opening for Gojira. Enjoy Gojira and dip out on Slipknot. Slipknot are gimmicky trash.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

M0G wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:31 pm
Shed523 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:00 am Love Gojira will be seeing them Aug 27 for the first time opening for Slipknot! Really digging Jinjer right meow! Their album "Cloud Factory" gives me chills. I think I've found a band to occupy my time.
Slipknot ugh really? Fucking Slipknot. Slipknot is shit always has been always will be. If anything Slipknot should be opening for Gojira. Enjoy Gojira and dip out on Slipknot. Slipknot are gimmicky trash.
No doubt Slipknot are pretty bloody one dimensional and gimmicky and I haven't enjoyed anything post volume 3. But credit where it's due, they did a lot of good things for metal when they hit the scene in that they were the shot in the arm mainstream metal desperately needed. Pantera had broken up, as had sepultura, Metallica went off the rails. I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy spit it out when it first made waves?
Listen to All Them Witches
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:35 pm
No doubt Slipknot are pretty bloody one dimensional and gimmicky and I haven't enjoyed anything post volume 3. But credit where it's due, they did a lot of good things for metal when they hit the scene in that they were the shot in the arm mainstream metal desperately needed. Pantera had broken up, as had sepultura, Metallica went off the rails. I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy spit it out when it first made waves?
I agree Busty. Never was a huge fan but they headlined a Soundwave one year and put on a very worthy show.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

I just shared this with a mate last week funnily enough. Was listening to sepultura's blood rooted album for the first time in like 15 years and noticed the demo version of roots laid the foundation for pretty much every riff in every slipknot song ever.

Check the section out at 2:24

M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:35 pm
I have hated Slipknot since day one it was always a gimmick. A one trick pony. Dudes wearing masks playing shit music. Best forgotten like the Limp Bisquits and Korns of the world.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Fair enough.. so what new metal bands were you listening to in say 98 through to 2001?
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:58 pm Fair enough.. so what new metal bands were you listening to in say 98 through to 2001?
Mog was getting into NSYNC at that point.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:58 pm Fair enough.. so what new metal bands were you listening to in say 98 through to 2001?
Korn (cringes), System of a Down (cringes), Limp Bisquit (cringes) ALWAYS HATED Slipknot...i don't like to think about those years they were short and I quickly graduated on to much higher quality music. I got caught up in the fad like everyone else and I feel dirty and want to go back in time and punch myself in the face for listening to such shit.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Oh yeah Staind was another one. Linkin Park. God those were bad years musically
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

System of a Down do not belong on your cringe list.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

oh and Godsmack *ultra cringe* not only do i want to go back in time and punch myself in the face i want to go back in time and kick myself in the nuts as well

Again didn't last long within a few years I was off to musical elitism
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

liz wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:12 pm System of a Down do not belong on your cringe list.
They are cringe but not AS bad I will give you that. Probably the least cringy of the ones i mentioned
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

SOAD are one of the worse live bands I have ever seen
Canned audience laughter
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

tys0n wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:26 pm SOAD are one of the worse live bands I have ever seen
They could be hit and miss live. I saw a show of each.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

A saw 3 shows of fucking trash.

When a small opening band that have only been playing together for a year (COG) blows you off the stage just pack up your shit and leave.
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

See Mog those bands are exactly what I thought you would say. Now giving credit where it's due doesn't mean you have to like or respect them. Just means you have to respect what they did. Slipknot were a fuckton heavier than any of those bands and in my eyes at least helped keep metal relevant. Without them who knows if execs would have remained interested in the genre.

And agree with Liz and Tyson. Cog blew soad off the stage. They fucking sucked but come the 2005 tour they'd lifted their game significantly and were fantastic.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Well Cog did have something from the get-go. I'm seeing them this weekend and if their last show here is anything to go by I'm in for a treat.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Youre in for a go fuck yourself from me too mate! Haha. So bummed I'm not seeing em again. Got a mate popping his cog cherry in Perth this week, would love to be there.

And seeing as it's still titled the drawn together tour I'm assuming the set will be the same I saw earlier in the year which is a great setlist. Have fun..... bitch
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

Good banter if nothing less from the Slipknot mention lol. Really do like them I mean shit I was like 14 when I bought their self titled on a whim. Changed my early teens when I needed it! SOAD fucking love them too! Live holy fuck 3 insane shows!

The real shame at Knotfest is fucking Volbeat I really hate those guys.

I agree that right now I would take Gojira over Slipknot. Past their prime and since Joey left their drumming is for the birds. Still a great live show!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

SOAD are one of the better nu-metal bands from that era. Mudvayne were probably the best of a band bunch. Never seen the appeal of Slipknot, their music is bland, and seem to rely purely on theatrics, that having witnessed before are really not all that great. SOAD were a fun band, but don't have the back catalog to support a show longer than an hour.

I don't get the point of "cringing" though. I've never been ashamed of what I've listened to, or what others do. Nu-metal is certainly uncool, but in fairness at least some of these bands were trying something new.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

@Busty I could promise to hold up my phone for a song and post a shitty recording for you but I won't. :D
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

Really loved Mudvayne what a great Bassist! Only got to see them once in 00’ actually right before Slipknot during the Tattoo the Earth tour.