Re: What are you watching? Film/TV

Post by tys0n »

Finally watched Repo Man last night, what a great fucking movie
Canned audience laughter
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

hellboy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:33 pm It was great if you didn't go in expecting a Michael Bay movie
My favorite war movies are the thin red line and Das Boot. That aren't Bayhem movies either. ;)
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Executions not great but as far as war stories go, I dig the shit out of Enemy at the gate
Listen to All Them Witches
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Much better than it had any right to be. Chucky has never been creepier.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

Chernobyl is worth all the hype. I'm only an episode and a half in, but it's fascinating. The denial is probably the most intriguing part. Everybody's running from the truth making things worse because the truth means certain death. Lots of good sociological and political insights to be had.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

gamebounty wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:29 pm Chernobyl is worth all the hype. I'm only an episode and a half in, but it's fascinating. The denial is probably the most intriguing part. Everybody's running from the truth making things worse because the truth means certain death. Lots of good sociological and political insights to be had.
I enjoyed it as much as an insight into Communist Russia as much as the horror of the event itself.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Haven't watched it but I applaud HBO for doing the series an entire generation has grown up knowing very little about Chernobyl. In particular how unbelievably close we came to having half of Europe become completely uninhabitable. Three men literally saved half of Europe. Had that melt down hit that water reservoir it would have changed the course of human history.
The most intelligent person on this forum
snazzl3frass
Has been
Height: Tall as fuck

Post by snazzl3frass »

You haven’t watched it yet? Go shovel the graphite off your roof and get with the times man!
Nice couch. Fuck your couch.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

M0G wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:07 pm Haven't watched it but I applaud HBO for doing the series an entire generation has grown up knowing very little about Chernobyl. In particular how unbelievably close we came to having half of Europe become completely uninhabitable. Three men literally saved half of Europe. Had that melt down hit that water reservoir it would have changed the course of human history.
I'm somebody who knows very little, so the show is a great introduction. Not sure how accurate it is, but even the basics (like the water reservoir catastrophe) are great to learn about.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Finally getting around to watching Star Trek Discovery season 2 and it isn’t bad but I just hate how much canon has gotten fucked up plus the whole Mycelium Network thing just doesn’t feel like Star Trek proper it bugged me in season 1 and bugs me still. I want to get excited for Star Trek Picard but Patrick Stewart is 79 years old I wonder how many seasons they can run with that.

We need a brand new Star Trek set in the future beyond TNG. Something JJ Abrams cannot get within 15 miles of.
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Started watching Dark. Pretty decent so far.
Deftones!
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Dark is really good. Season 2 even better then the first.

Discovery is star trek fanfiction tbh. Some funny moments though.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

SD: Discovery was fun, though I find Season 2 just doesn't have the same appeal as 1.

I think Picard looks interesting - seems to be a bit different from the usual Star Trek fare, but we'll see. There was nothing "great" about the trailer either, just lots of fan service.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Finished watching stranger things season 3 last night. Doesn't seem to get much love on here so I'm guessing is a bit too much of a nostalgia fest for most on here. I watch minimal tv shows but really enjoy this series and rate this season gone as the most enjoyable.

Dustin is fricking adorable
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'm a fan of Stranger Things overall, though I find most of the nostalgia too forced for my liking. I do enjoy the story though, and will check out season 3 eventually.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Yeah I get that. It seems to me like the creators themselves are massive nostalgia fans of that era so are just making nods to what they love so Im ok with. But yeah can see why people would find it a bit much.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

ms2r wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:37 am Dark is really good. Season 2 even better then the first.

Discovery is star trek fanfiction tbh. Some funny moments though.
Not even sure if I would call it fan fiction Star Trek fans tend to know canon better than the writers do. It is okay but Star Trek hasn’t been good since Voyager. Enterprise was meh. Deep Space Nine was superb and of course The Next Generation masterful. Not sure if they will ever recapture that DS9/TNG level that was Star Trek at its finest.

The movie reboots were pathetic. The way they ripped Canon up was pathetic. Discovery went wrong right off the bat with the Mycelium Network a multi-dimensional fungal network spanning the multiverse get the fuck out with that. I can get past it and Discovery had some decent moments in Season 1 but the way they are handling the Spock situation in Season 2 is once again goofy. Plus they have Sarek so absolutely wrong.

Picard trailer didn’t do much for me. A 79 year old on the run with a rag tag group of kids as a crew? I will watch it because I respect the hell out of Patrick Stewart but my expectations are extremely low.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

City on the Hill is pretty good, slow to start but the last episode ramped it up a lot.
Canned audience laughter
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Again I will mention Perpetual Grace Ltd. It's excellent.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I couldn't get into it the same reason I couldn't get into Patriot, it can't decide if it's a comedy or a drama.

Or maybe I should just lighten up.
Canned audience laughter
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Its definitely comedy, very offbeat with wonderful use of language.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

earthrocker wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:40 am Started watching Dark. Pretty decent so far.
ms2r wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:37 am Dark is really good. Season 2 even better then the first.
Agreed. Really enjoyed Dark. Atmospheric, interesting characters, and an all around well made show.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Apocalypse Now: Final Cut was fucking 10/10.

The restoration of the film makes it look as if it was filmed last year, amazing being from the 70's.

For some reason the only major scene cut out by Francis was when the guys fuck the playboy models, which in my opinion is fine as what are the fucking odds they randomly show up to see the USO show and then suddenly end up on a base with them a few miles up the river.

I'm so fucking glad I've seen this now on the big screen and I can tick it off my bucket list and I just want to give a shout out to my shitty fucking town that when I went to see this masterpiece at 2:30pm on a Saturday, prime time for most people that only myself and one other boomer showed up.

The horror.
Canned audience laughter
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Just searching for reviews of the Final Cut, seems Australia got the first taste.

Feeling kinda special right now.

/sip beer

oh
Canned audience laughter