The Movie Thread

Movies, TV and other video based media
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Agreed, Buffalo 66 is crap.  The only reason Bill made me sit through it was to see  B'lo being represented.
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

Check it out, Merle's in that last trailer.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

joeypants said
The Fountain is amazing and a horribly underpraised entry in Aronofsky's filmography. Reduces me to a blubbering mess instantly.

Also, UPSTREAM COLOR is out today!! Had no idea it was coming out this quickly. Fucking hell cannot wait.

http://www.j-dar.ca/#1381

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Tyson said

joeypants said
The Fountain is amazing and a horribly underpraised entry in Aronofsky's filmography. Reduces me to a blubbering mess instantly.

Also, UPSTREAM COLOR is out today!! Had no idea it was coming out this quickly. Fucking hell cannot wait.

http://www.j-dar.ca/#1381

I think we're all aware of that.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
fuzzynuts
Maynard Believer

Post by fuzzynuts »

This year, looking forward to:

Spring Breakers

Nymphomaniac

Evil Dead

The Place Beyond The Pines

The Hobbit: Desolation Of Smaug

Only God Forgives

Iron Man 3

Amour

Nice picks, I'd add Raze, Sightseers, and Trance, and call it a good year.

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I enjoyed the first Hobbit, but I have a feeling a second one is not going to be as good.  Most likely it's just going to be a lot of fluff, just stretching out the story lines.
Don't mow your lawn
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

UndKeineEier said
I enjoyed the first Hobbit, but I have a feeling a second one is not going to be as good.  Most likely it's just going to be a lot of fluff, just stretching out the story lines.

it fits the book just fine. I put it down in three spots. the eagles/slaying of Smaug/Battle of Five Armies. kinda fits perfect. throw in some woodland elves, a giant bad ass shape shifting bear a few thousand goblins and orc's and you've got a nice little trilogy. one movie would have sucked actually. unless it was like Apocalypse Now Redux long...

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

NYHC81 said

UndKeineEier said

it fits the book just fine. I put it down in three spots. the eagles/slaying of Smaug/Battle of Five Armies. kinda fits perfect. throw in some woodland elves, a giant bad ass shape shifting bear a few thousand goblins and orc's and you've got a nice little trilogy. one movie would have sucked actually. unless it was like Apocalypse Now Redux long...

I'm hoping that that will be the best part of the whole trilogy.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

They released a huge horizontal banner showing Beorn a while back (that I'm too lazy to dig up right now) and he looked awesome. Basically just a gigantic bear, but still.

Also, Upstream Color is the tits! Really moving and entrancing, and a definite step "further" than Primer for Shane Carruth as a filmmaker. Waaaaaay more abstract and challenging than Primer though, so be prepared. This movie is very much not for everyone. Many will be flat out pissed off by it I think. Much like Primer, most will probably walk out going "what the fuck was that?" when really, it's all right there up on screen. It's just not spoon fed to you.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Tony Fuckin Danza said

NYHC81 said

UndKeineEier said

I'm hoping that that will be the best part of the whole trilogy.

he's going to be bitch smacking goblins like a black pimp from Philly in the 70's

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Just watched:

Mama

Mildly diverting horror, about two girls left in an abandoned cabin who are "cared" for by a malevolent spirit, who gets all uppity and pissy when the girls are rescued and sent to live with an uncle and his "rock" bitch.

Decent up until the last 15 minutes or, when the tone of the film suddenly shifts and goes all lovey dovey - when a suitably grisly ending would have sufficed.

Clerks II

Saw Clerks a millennium ago and don't really remember much of it, other than that I thought it completely over rated. This sequel ain't to bad though I must say. I really dug the dialogue which was wittier (although vulgar) than I imagined it would be. Particularly liked the Star Wars vs Lord Of The Rings bit. My only gripe is that I wish it had been heavier on the pop culture diatribes and lighter on the relationship-y front.

Think I might check out some of the other Kevin Smith films like Jay & Silent Bob..., Mallrats etc which apparently all tie in together, or so I hear.

markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Mallrats and Dogma are really the only Kevin Smith movies I like.  I think all the others are shit.
I like to poop naked.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Dogma is definitely his best film.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

The View Askew movies "tie in" together only because Jay and Silent Bob are always the same characters, and they remember EVERYTHING from every one of those movies.

example: Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, J & B get a bunch of money from movie rights.  Clerks 2: many of the same actors playing different roles yet J & B still have that money.

"View Askew" universe is how Jay and Silent Bob view the world, despite only being the main characters in one of those movies.

Hey! Denty!
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Kevin Smith gets way too much hate
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

I'd rather watch a Kevin Smith movie than a fucking Tarantino movie.

Tarantino is the worst thing to happen to movies. Him and motherfucking cockhole Tim "I'm a fucking cunt" Burton.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

People hate on Kevin Smith?
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

The Boss said
I'd rather watch a Kevin Smith movie than a fucking Tarantino movie.

Tarantino is the worst thing to happen to movies. Him and motherfucking cockhole Tim "I'm a fucking cunt" Burton.

Totally agree on Burton.  Just awful.

Reservoir Dogs is an excellent film.

I suggest his Jackie Brown as well; everything else is Pulp Fiction--seen one, you've seen the rest.

Kevin Smith is not funny.  I haven't enjoyed one of his films

and I've tried, I really have but that cumstain "Jay" needs to die violently.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Hey, at least Tarantino can fit into one seat on an airplane.
I like to poop naked.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

markuspoop said
Hey, at least Tarantino can fit into one seat on an airplane.

Your logic is impenetrable sir.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

ilikecheese said

and I've tried, I really have but that cumstain "Jay" needs to die violently.

You finally write something that people can actually understand and it's this.  Jay is awesome, dairy lover.
Hey! Denty!
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

I used to hate on Kevin Smith (mostly because of his shitty foray into sappy romance films) but I've softened in my old age.

Really enjoyed Clerks II, so I'll definitely check out some more. Jay and Silent Bob "make" the films. Without them they'd be pretty bland.

Tarantino....yeah he's ok. For every great film (Inglorious Basterds) there's a shit heap (Kill Bill).

I see why people worship him as much as I see why people hate on him.

And if we're going to talk AWFUL directors, do we need go no further than M Night Shamalamadingdong...???

I do hear - and this is just rumour, mind you...just rumour ok- that there are people out there in audience land that - gulp - really like that guy?!?!?!

At least that's what I've heard.