The Movie Thread

Movies, TV and other video based media
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by xZ1mM3r »

More so the time between them. Have some original ideas. A few years back the oscar for best original script was ratatouille. That's just sad when no original movies come out
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

xZ1mM3r wrote:More so the time between them. Have some original ideas. A few years back the oscar for best original script was ratatouille. That's just sad when no original movies come out
At any given time there are probably 30+ movies showing at the cinemas. Less that 5 of those are likely to be remakes or sequels I'd bet. Storm in a teacup.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

I see your point but I think you are missing mine. Does it not bother you in the slightest that there is talk of rebooting batman? Not to mention this batman/superman thing. It may be a good movie in the end but really? Nolans batman was great, it doesn't need rebooted
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

xZ1mM3r wrote:I see your point but I think you are missing mine. Does it not bother you in the slightest that there is talk of rebooting batman? Not to mention this batman/superman thing. It may be a good movie in the end but really? Nolans batman was great, it doesn't need rebooted
Tim Burton's Batman didn't need a reboot.

But from what I got the new Batman is an older Batman which could be a continuation of Nolan's Batman.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

ms2r wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:I see your point but I think you are missing mine. Does it not bother you in the slightest that there is talk of rebooting batman? Not to mention this batman/superman thing. It may be a good movie in the end but really? Nolans batman was great, it doesn't need rebooted
Tim Burton's Batman didn't need a reboot.

But from what I got the new Batman is an older Batman which could be a continuation of Nolan's Batman.
Yeaaaaaah but we all know it's not a continuation, no matter what they say.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Comic movies seem like an odd thing to be up in arms about in terms of reboots. I can see your general point, but I mean, the source material does this kind of thing all the time. Plus it always just comes down to money anyway. These things are cash cows and they have to keep them going.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Now what does piss me right the fuck off are needless remakes, ESPECIALLY when it really just amounts to: Americans don't like reading subtitles.

Let The Right One In is a perfect film to me, and that remake was completely pointless. If you have something new to say or a different take on the material, have at it. The Departed is a wonderful remake of another excellent film. Both have different takes on the same thing. Spike Lee's Oldboy made me want to hurl my projector through the window before he had even gotten out of the hotel!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I don't think Americans dislike subtitles as much as Hollywood thinks they do.

It's interesting that you say that about Let Me In as I've actually heard it was pretty good.
Don't mow your lawn
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Please do yourself the favor of watching Let The Right One In first if you've never seen it.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

joeypants wrote:Now what does piss me right the fuck off are needless remakes, ESPECIALLY when it really just amounts to: Americans don't like reading subtitles.

Let The Right One In is a perfect film to me, and that remake was completely pointless. If you have something new to say or a different take on the material, have at it. The Departed is a wonderful remake of another excellent film. Both have different takes on the same thing. Spike Lee's Oldboy made me want to hurl my projector through the window before he had even gotten out of the hotel!
Funny Games was just a shot by shot remake but in English.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Not Tyson wrote:
joeypants wrote:Now what does piss me right the fuck off are needless remakes, ESPECIALLY when it really just amounts to: Americans don't like reading subtitles.

Funny Games was just a shot by shot remake but in English.
That one to me is an exception because it's the same director. I still haven't seen either.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I've seen Let The Right One In, I haven't seen Let Me In.

I've only seen the English Funny Games.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Also I thought David Fincher's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was better than the Swedish version.
Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

The Swedish version looked like a made for tv movie to be fair.

And that retarded ending.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

The original Turkish "Salak ile Avanak" was far better than the US remake.
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

xZ1mM3r wrote:I see your point but I think you are missing ine. Does it not bother you in the slightest that there is talk of rebooting batman? Not to mention this batman/superman thing. It may be a good movie in the end but really? Nolans batman was great, it doesn't need rebooted
It doesn't bother me in the slightest. How Hollywood choose to waste their money is of no concern to me.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Does anyone like reading subtitles? I have no problems with foreign movies, but there's no doubt that having to read subtitles on a movie does take away some of the atmosphere. Not saying these remakes are justified for that reason, but seeing something in another language is rarely ideal.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

hellboy wrote:
Does anyone like reading subtitles? I have no problems with foreign movies, but there's no doubt that having to read subtitles on a movie does take away some of the atmosphere. Not saying these remakes are justified for that reason, but seeing something in another language is rarely ideal.
What?

No way, I Saw the Devil is one of the most thrilling movies I've ever seen, subtitles or not. That's just one example of many, hell Seven Samurai is an even better example.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote:
hellboy wrote:
What?

No way, I Saw the Devil is one of the most thrilling movies I've ever seen, subtitles or not. That's just one example of many, hell Seven Samurai is an even better example.
I'm not saying movies with subtitles can't be great. I'm just saying that something is always lost in translation.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Maybe you just need to watch more movies with subtitles. After a couple of minutes or so I usually get used to the subtitles and afterwards I forget that the movie was in English. I Saw The Killer is a good example. I know that movie had subtitles but I don't remember them at all.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Maybe you just need to watch more movies with subtitles. After a couple of minutes or so I usually get used to the subtitles and afterwards I forget that the movie was in English. I Saw The Killer is a good example. I know that movie had subtitles but I don't remember them at all.
You're saying you can understand every nuance of the script when it's in another language? I don't agree.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

joeypants wrote:Please do yourself the favor of watching Let The Right One In first if you've never seen it.
+1
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

But do note that the American version of the book, Let me In, isn't a remake, just another adaption of the book. And I think Let me In is just as good as Let the RIght One in.

And subtitles is normal here. So it doesn't bother me. And not much is lost. :)
I remember a lot of American people getting really annoyed because El Laberinto del Fauno was in Spanish with English subtitles. ha ha.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:I've seen Let The Right One In, I haven't seen Let Me In.

I've only seen the English Funny Games.
Me too, and it was fucking stupid.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I thought it was awesome, great satire and a fuck you too the audience.