Descending / Invincible

The Main Event
_peterpwn
Has been

Descending / Invincible

Post by _peterpwn »

i think we should make a topic about the new tracks, i know they are bootleg, but it would be easier to gather oppinions and infos on them, and august 30 is so far away, i need my new tool fix, and i'm looking for the best looking/sounding versions of these two songs to listen

for me personally, i have looked through every USA and EU versions i've found, and both of them (especially descending) have a tendency to have many mistakes which is due to the extreme subtleties that makes up to the extremely refreshing and amazing grooves and emotions and manipulations these tracks deliver, so its very hard to pull off live

for me the best sounding, and played maybe the most tightly by the band, are the Berlin versions, these are the ones i'm listening

video quality are also the best in these in my findings, cheers
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Re: Descending / Invincible

Post by Kittaan »

Now that’s what I’m f’n talking about. I suggested this a while back, but couldn’t be bothered to actually make a thread... waaaay too much effort, and it would have distracted me from my primary mission of being appalled at many member’s complete inability to form coherent and grammatically correct posts.

I also suggest a poll / voting on the best versions and then ranking them accordingly. It would work best with separate threads for D and I. I’ll just sit back and watch while you do all the work.

Fanks bruh.

EDIT: I finally got the chance to watch these versions on decent equipment. Great quality. Amazing to see the progression of the entire band, can't wait to hear studio versions of these tracks. So many questions... looking forward to the answers.

Thanks for making the thread.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

The tool archive version of invincible from rock ville is the best one for me. You can hear enough of the crowd to add some atmosphere but not so much that it distracts.

Also they seem to change the amount of time adam leaves in that little pause before they all go mad at the end. On this version the timing is just bang on for me I love that bit.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

The Rockville shows are the ones with the annoying drunk woman shouting. Definitely not the go to recordings. These Berlin videos or Birmingham were the best I have heard.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Yeah there's a few screams at the beginning but they soon shut up.
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Berlin is probably the best videos so far.

Sound wise - Someone enhanced both songs from the first show of the tour and they are still the best quality imo.

Both songs are great. Invincible was an instant yes...but Descending is incredible
Deftones!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Descending is the better song it isn't even close. The live version of Descending is already a top 10 all time level Tool song, if not higher. Descending is a showcase of technical prowess and Danny Carey goes off. Invincible is dope. Love it. But Descending smokes it.

Berlin vids are the best. Sound quality tough one Berlin got the drums better than any other vid so I will probably go with that one since Danny is the most important member of Tool by a very large margin.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

M0G wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:08 pm Danny is the most important member of Tool by a very large margin.
I have to agree.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

So people are saying what their favourite clips are but aren't posting vids or links?

Really?

Stupid cunts.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I like this one the most personally (sound only, visuals are just a slideshow):

gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

At this point I'm too accustomed to the Birmingham recordings. Descending is kind of a bummer because Adam leaves his delay peddle on in the beginning, then he and Danny are slightly off when the gong hits. Other than that it's a great recording. I've noticed that they seem to make more mistakes with these songs too.

Invincible has 69 plays and Descending has 67 on my Itunes, though you could probably add 12 to each to account for all the times I've played them at the coffee shop I work at. For reference, other songs added around that time at most have like 16 plays. Just goes to show how much I love Tool.

Descending is growing on me. For now, Invincible is my favorite of the two, but I can see the studio recording changing that. Descending is a little heavier thematically. The quiet section 2/3rds through is pretty boring, but everything is else is gold. I REALLY like the tonal shift that happens when Maynard starts singing the "Come our end suddenly" part. It's like drifting into a dark, ominous tunnel. The crowd seems to react really well to it too. Invincible is more straight forward in its tone, where as Descending volleys between dark and light sections. It'd be cool to see more songs do that on this album. I actually can't think of any other Tool song that does it this well. Still want Maynard to come in on the second half but if he doesn't it's no big deal. Plenty of Maynard elsewhere.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

this is one of the better semi recent ones i could find,mostly for the sound,the stage show is noticeably better and looks good here. (Poland has a good version of Descending but the audio is better on this one from Rock Im from June 9th)

a little newer for this one but not the best performance. not a lot of good footage from Europe that hasnt been mentioned already. June 16th

(a lot of you are lazy ;)

limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

hellboy wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:43 pm I like this one the most personally (sound only, visuals are just a slideshow):

Holy shit, you can actually hear Justin, especially on Invincible. It's like hearing it for the first time. Which city is that? I really hope the bass lines come through that well on the record.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

limeygringo wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:09 am
hellboy wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:43 pm I like this one the most personally (sound only, visuals are just a slideshow):

Holy shit, you can actually hear Justin, especially on Invincible. It's like hearing it for the first time. Which city is that? I really hope the bass lines come through that well on the record.
I'm reasonably somewhat partially confident that his basslines will come through clearly enough on the mastered studio album to at least come close to matching the bootleg ;)
Listen to All Them Witches
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

limeygringo wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:09 am
Yeah, the bass is the best part about those remasters - it makes Invincible sound next level. I think it could be Justin's finest hour
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

i do believe thats the Birmmingham show from early May. thats the one that got tinkered with the most.
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

bob wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:20 pm
i do believe thats the Birmmingham show from early May. thats the one that got tinkered with the most.
It's definitely not Birmingham, you can tell from the flubs and the minute lyrical differences. Someone in the YouTube comments said Chicago, I haven't checked but it's definitely not the audio from those Chicago vids. Someone was right next to Justin recording this one.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

i heard something interesting about Descending'Ascending on an ep of ''beyond belief'' with George Noory yesterday.

remember how some of the setlists 2 or 3 years back had ''A/Descending'' written like that ? according to certain buddhist traditions theres a thing about Ascending/Descending. It makes me wonder if theres actually an ''Ascending'' tune after hearing this, either way, sheds light on this type of thing, tool related or not.
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

bob wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:19 am i heard something interesting about Descending'Ascending on an ep of ''beyond belief'' with George Noory yesterday.

remember how some of the setlists 2 or 3 years back had ''A/Descending'' written like that ? according to certain buddhist traditions theres a thing about Ascending/Descending. It makes me wonder if theres actually an ''Ascending'' tune after hearing this, either way, sheds light on this type of thing, tool related or not.
Sooooo Chöd
All well Whatever, Nevermind
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

look it up. i already did..theres stuff on it. like i said, tool related or not its still something for sure and the setlist had it at one point till they went back to just Descending. im a buddhist now. :P
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

I thought it was obvious that A/Descending was referring to spiritually. Not necessarily Buddhism but it's all the same to me. Maynard refers to it in Wings. Parabola refers to it as well. Rising action/climax/falling action: the cycle of life and death.
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

children wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:43 pm I thought it was obvious that A/Descending was referring to spiritually. Not necessarily Buddhism but it's all the same to me. Maynard refers to it in Wings. Parabola refers to it as well. Rising action/climax/falling action: the cycle of life and death.
Isn't it so uplifting? Every time I listen to Descending I feel my soul elevate and touch the infinite.

We will come to findddd

that we are all onnnne mind!!!!

WOW
The most intelligent person on this forum
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Ok fanboi

Now let's get back off topic

Bob Marley is Chöd

"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson