Sports Thread

Everyone loves sport. If you don't you're a loser!
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Re: Sports Thread

Post by Bill Hilly »

Too many similarities in my pool once it gets closer to the final 4. I'm not really fucked, but I picked St. Joe's, NC State, and Colorado to the Sweet 16. St. Joe's and NC State were close games.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

You might be ok. I've had years where I think I'm done and end up getting 3rd. Hell, I won my pool the year UCONN won cause I was the only one to pick them.

Getting them right by itself put me in the top 10% in the country in yahoo's site, which is pretty neat cause I'm not a big college hoops fan.
Hey! Denty!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Ravenpig wrote:You might be ok. I've had years where I think I'm done and end up getting 3rd. Hell, I won my pool the year UCONN won cause I was the only one to pick them.

Getting them right by itself put me in the top 10% in the country in yahoo's site, which is pretty neat cause I'm not a big college hoops fan.
Picking a winner in a One and Done competition is more about luck than knowledge of the teams. Just look how many upsets there have been. Very different from the NBA with best of 7 matches. I like them both, but prefer the NBA playoffs.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

The NBA is boring as hell, especially since there have been so many injuries to star players in the last couple of years. It's the same teams every year in the playoffs and the 7 game series format is hard to sit through. The NCAA tournament is the greatest sports event on the planet. There's actual intensity and hustle in the college ranks.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Bill Hilly wrote:The NBA is boring as hell, especially since there have been so many injuries to star players in the last couple of years. It's the same teams every year in the playoffs and the 7 game series format is hard to sit through. The NCAA tournament is the greatest sports event on the planet. There's actual intensity and hustle in the college ranks.
I hear you. I do like them both for different reasons. If I watched more college hoops I'd probably agree with you, but I still dig the NBA more for the level of play. It's what most college players are shooting for and you get the best of the best.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

I think both levels of the game would benefit from upping the age limit to 20 or 2 years in college.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Kittaan wrote:
Ravenpig wrote:You might be ok. I've had years where I think I'm done and end up getting 3rd. Hell, I won my pool the year UCONN won cause I was the only one to pick them.

Picking a winner in a One and Done competition is more about luck than knowledge of the teams. Just look how many upsets there have been. Very different from the NBA with best of 7 matches. I like them both, but prefer the NBA playoffs.
Oh I agree don't get me wrong. But picking UCONN that year wasn't a bandwagon or luck thing. Hence the whole top 10% thing.
Hey! Denty!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Bill Hilly wrote:I think both levels of the game would benefit from upping the age limit to 20 or 2 years in college.
I agree. The majority of players who come in from HS or just 1 year of college ball end up in the D League or out of BBall entirely, and way too quickly. There are some VERY notable exceptions, but overall, this would be the number one way to raise the level of play in both college hoops and the NBA. And it's gotta be super frustrating for those players who were big fish in small ponds to come in and sit on the bench.

Another aspect is the international players. For the Warriors, Nedo is a Euro League star with all sorts of potential, and he can even dominate in his D League stints (30 a night). But he is reduced to scrub level in the NBA game. This is the story for many potential standouts internationally, and that's GOT to be frustrating for them.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Kittaan wrote:
Bill Hilly wrote:I think both levels of the game would benefit from upping the age limit to 20 or 2 years in college.
I agree. The majority of players who come in from HS or just 1 year of college ball end up in the D League or out of BBall entirely, and way too quickly. There are some VERY notable exceptions, but overall, this would be the number one way to raise the level of play in both college hoops and the NBA. And it's gotta be super frustrating for those players who were big fish in small ponds to come in and sit on the bench.

Another aspect is the international players. For the Warriors, Nedo is a Euro League star with all sorts of potential, and he can even dominate in his D League stints (30 a night). But he is reduced to scrub level in the NBA game. This is the story for many potential standouts internationally, and that's GOT to be frustrating for them.
Man, I couldn't agree more with that. It must be nice to be a Warriors fan right now. That core has many years of greatness ahead of them. I'm a Celtics fan, so I'm hoping for a quick rebuilding process around Rondo.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Bill Hilly wrote:must be nice to be a Warriors fan right now
I put in MANY years of pain, so yes, this feels great. That being said, it will be a war just to MAKE the playoffs. The West is fucking crazy this year. I hope we can move up or at least stay at the 6 slot. There is no guarantee with Dallas, Memphis and Phoenix nipping at our heels. We've got some injuries and who knows what's coming. I will feel MUCH better if we can steal one from the Spurs on Saturday. Highly unlikely.
Bill Hilly wrote:I'm a Celtics fan
Thanks for Jordan Crawford! Sure wish we could have pried Brandon Bass out of your grasp. Glad you kept Rondo. You've got a good core and depending on how you do in the draft/free agency, you'll be back.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

The West is always crazy. There are only two teams in the East worth anything and 12 or 13 over .500 in the West. I just want to see the Pacers fuck up the Heat this year and I'll be happy.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Bill Hilly wrote:The West is always crazy. There are only two teams in the East worth anything and 12 or 13 over .500 in the West. I just want to see the Pacers fuck up the Heat this year and I'll be happy.
That would make it much more interesting. It's anybody's game in the West, and the Spurs are rolling, but I would not be surprised to see someone besides them or OKC make it out of the West. I just hope it's not Houston. I legit hate those fuckers.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Dwight Howard is a dickhead. I foresee a lot of the west series going 7 games, which is unfair. The Heat and Pacers are going to plow right through to the conference finals.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Bill Hilly wrote:Dwight Howard is a dickhead. I foresee a lot of the west series going 7 games, which is unfair. The Heat and Pacers are going to plow right through to the conference finals.
my blazers might get Houston in the first round.... and itll be tough to beat Portland 4 outta 7
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

huge game tonight with NHL Playoff implications. BlueJackets vs BlueShirts.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Did you see the Wings win last night over the
Pens?

.04 seconds (that's 'seconds' for you Australians) on the clock and it 'doinks' (heh...boink) into the net off the d-man after Furry made the save.

Here's the best part.

That face.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Duke choked AGAIN.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Stanford moves on. Yes!
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Bill Hilly wrote:Duke choked AGAIN.
Will be a fantastic weekend regardless of what happens simply because of this. Fuck Duke.
I like to poop naked.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

I've got SF Austin moving on. Sloppy game on both sides. We'll see.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

markuspoop wrote:
Bill Hilly wrote:Duke choked AGAIN.
Will be a fantastic weekend regardless of what happens simply because of this. Fuck Duke.
Agreed.
And done!
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Kittaan wrote:Stanford moves on. Yes!
Pfft...'Stanford!' LOL!
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fuck yeah. great game.

[BBvideo 560,340]http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videocente ... ?id=583174[/BBvideo]
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

They are putting on some boring, what is it base ball (more like blase ball, amirite?) game on free to air here tonight, something about a dodger vs a diamond back?

Who names this shit?
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Not Tyson wrote:They are putting on some boring, what is it base ball (more like blase ball, amirite?) game on free to air here tonight, something about a dodger vs a diamond back?

Who names this shit?
young Jewish girls hired by old white guys.