House of Cards

Movies, TV and other video based media
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

House of Cards

Post by xZ1mM3r »

If anyone likes this show. Heres a thread.

[youtube][/youtube]

(Cool to hear Netflix use some APC for their commercial.)

xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Re: House of Cards

Post by xZ1mM3r »

So ive heard that the whole plot of season 3 has leaked??

DO NOT POST LEAKS PLEASE
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Yes, I will be trying my best not to binge this too quickly (assuming all the the eps are released en masse on Friday as usual with Netflix series)

It's great to be able to do a couple a night and absorb them over time.

Excellent show - writing, acting, the whole deal.
Ki77aan :twisted:
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

It is a brilliant show. I keep meaning to watch the English precursor which is also purported to be excellent. I doubt that their lead is as good as Spacey though.

And you do have to slow yourself down with this series There is a natural tendancy to gobble!
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Episode 6 Chapter 32. I am trying to take it one bite at a time. A wonderful episode from the misogynist Russian ambassador in the toilet to Frank's soliloquy "what are you looking at".

This is the best thing on TV.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

I agree. It's getting really good. I'm on chapter 9, no spoilers til were both done lol
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

It's ok Zed I won't even be dropping spoilers for the first two seasons (I need to give the Aussies more time to catch on). I watched the first half of the first season twice because I had to share it with my partner. There are very few shows I would ever watch twice but the writing and scenarios are so clever that the second view still feels very fresh.

What is Doug up to? :)
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Yeah i dunno. I wonder who his allegiance is too....? Its a great show. And forgive me for my ignorance but Oz had a PM correct? How similar are our governments, how easy is the show to follow for someone who doesn't live in the states?
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

xZ1mM3r wrote:Yeah i dunno. I wonder who his allegiance is too....? Its a great show. And forgive me for my ignorance but Oz had a PM correct? How similar are our governments, how easy is the show to follow for someone who doesn't live in the states?
We do indeed have a PM. Your system differs to ours in a few ways most notable of which is that our "executive" (PM and cabinet ministers) are all drawn from parliament and given their positions via their various party mechanisms. We don't choose our PM but rather we vote for our local members and they then decide who leads them if they are in the party which forms government.

I do find the US system more complicated than ours but over the years I have gained a reasonable understanding I think and this show probably only enhances my knowledge of the process.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

liz wrote:this show probably only enhances my knowledge of the process.
And it should scare the shit out of you too.

My wife and I just finished S3 Ep 5 last night and forced ourselves to shut it down at midnight. You could so easily find yourself bingeing this into the very wee hours... Very smart writing, excellent casting and acting overall. I love being able to figure out what's coming, but with this show, they do not telegraph much. I usually get the aha moment seconds before the reveal, which makes it all the sweeter. If this is anything like what really goes down on Capitol Hill, and I bet it is, it's no wonder how fucked up things have become.

To Zimmer's point, I would be interested to see a similar take on another government's process. That would be a cool twist to HOC itself, once Frank's story runs it's course, to branch out to other countries?
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

As I've said before Kittaan I think there is an argument for my voting rights in your elections!

There is the original HOC set in England. I'm going to watch it next.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

liz wrote:As I've said before Kittaan I think there is an argument for my voting rights in your elections!

There is the original HOC set in England. I'm going to watch it next.
Holy Shit, totally forgot that this came from an original UK series. What a typical Yank... I have it on my list as well but spaced it completely....
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Naattik wrote:

Holy Shit, totally forgot that this came from an original UK series. What a typical Yank... I have it on my list as well but spaced it completely....
I believe they have it subtitled for a Yankee audience. ;)
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

"Imagination is it's own form of courage" Frank Underwood
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

It's all gone. Another stellar season that I watched as slowly as I could.

What I have also done is watched the 1st episode of the British series. There are only 4, 50 minute episodes and they were first aired in 1990! I haven't verified this but I swear that the opening soliloquy is word for word. There is no doubt that much has been heavily copied and that Spacey watched the original. It holds up well - this British version and it gets extra points for being original, but it doesn't detract from the brilliantly sharp American version.

The political systems may differ, but it seems that in democracies at least, politicians may just be politicians the world over.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

One of the better series i've ever watched. It's up there with Breaking Bad and the first few seasons of Dexter.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Staying away from this thread until I watch the rest of the season... taking it sloooooowwwww.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

S4 was way better than S3. Love this series! Hate to binge it though, only to wait another year until S5.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Ettan you have gobbled too quickly. It is a dish to be savoured. I'm up to episode 6 and I thought I was bad.

It's delicious fun seeing Claire and Frank battle this season.