What are you watching? Film/TV

Movies, TV and other video based media
nxrm
Living Duller

Re: What are you watching? Film/TV

Post by nxrm »

hellboy wrote:Cool, I love mountaineering films, so will check it out.
Awesome! I hope you enjoy it. I thought it was really well made, and told an amazing & compelling story.

Still buzzing from it actually. It was truly awe-inspiring.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

nxrm wrote: The Chill lives! You've been MIA since Puscifer...I was concerned man. :)
Lol! Yeah I don't really show up unless Tool/APC/Puscifer are touring. I lurk all the time when I am bored but I usually don't have very much to say.

Anyways to help contribute to the thread I have been watching X-Files again! Man what a good show. Can't wait for the new episodes. The old episodes premises' are so corny sometimes but the way Mulder and Scully act really make it believable and enjoyable.

Saw Star Wars for the second time and it was even better then the first. I can't wait to watch Hateful 8 again too.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

about to watch this VICE clippie again, very interesting indeed. this about the Romney family (yeah THOSE Romney's) in Mexico and their secret, or not so secret war with the drug cartels that has been going on for quite some time.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Watched the Martian the other day, it was great, but was a little disappointed mostly I expect by having read the book and expecting more (there's a bunch of detail in the book not covered in the movie).

Go read the book, it's much better.

8/10
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy wrote:Watched the Martian the other day, it was great, but was a little disappointed mostly I expect by having read the book and expecting more (there's a bunch of detail in the book not covered in the movie).

Go read the book, it's much better.

8/10
yeah the Martian was dope, I love every movie he's ever directed. definitely a Ridley Scott fanboy since Alien. Kingdom Of Heaven, Prometheus and Robin Hood were some of his most maligned movies and I truly love all three of those. the casting in Kingdom and Robin Hood was epic. the Robin Hood directors cut is INCREDIBLE, I seriously think if that cut was what they released in theaters people would have enjoyed it a bit more. there's a Free Mason undertone which was completely washed out of the theatrical release. the cinematography in The Martian was top notch, I should have seen it in IMAX. I blew that one big time, I regret that and my number one all time regret was not seeing Interstellar in IMAX as well.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

anyone out there interested in ancient civilizations? historic catastrophic events? where we come from as a species? well if you dig that stuff and have 3 hours to spare I have a video podcast for you. Joe Rogan had Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson on (together) last week and they blew my mind apart. It’s almost like science is being treated like religion in some circles in that some theories can’t (or shouldn't) be challenged. Some scientists are acting truly infallible, like holy men. That, in fact, is completely ass backwards. I hope someone enjoys this as much as I did, I'd love to start an open dialogue. :geek:

ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

The Revenant (2015)
9/10
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

no teases but the way they constructed this clip was ill yo.

lo7us

Post by lo7us »

Now watching: Straight Outta Compton
From bearded clam cums bearded jam
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Just finished watching The Revenant. Beautifully shot and directed, and had some great moments, let down only in that I found the story somewhat predictable. 8/10
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy wrote:Just finished watching The Revenant. Beautifully shot and directed, and had some great moments, let down only in that I found the story somewhat predictable. 8/10
well it's not a predictable story per say, it's pretty much a true historical account. right? I wouldn't say Titanic was an amazing movie but very predicable. or am I wrong in this case? maybe Hugo's story isn't that well known, is that what you're getting at? getting "let down" sounds like a bullshit statement :lol:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:
hellboy wrote:Just finished watching The Revenant. Beautifully shot and directed, and had some great moments, let down only in that I found the story somewhat predictable. 8/10
well it's not a predictable story per say, it's pretty much a true historical account. right? I wouldn't say Titanic was an amazing movie but very predicable. or am I wrong in this case? maybe Hugo's story isn't that well known, is that what you're getting at? getting "let down" sounds like a bullshit statement :lol:
Maybe, I don't know whether it's based on a true story or not, either way the whole "guy gets close to death and then takes revenge on the guy who wronged him" is about as predictable as it gets. I was let down in that I expected the movie to be less predictable. I know nothing about the story or books it's based on, so had no expectations in that regards.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

apparently I should see The Revenant, regardless, cuz Hellboy's take is essentially the closest thing to negative I've heard of it.

Also just finished the first season of Fargo and really enjoyed it ... just on the 2nd ep of the second season so too early to say.

Both season's have done great casting so far.
Last edited by petemasterpete on Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

First season of what?
Don't mow your lawn
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:First season of what?
Editted: Fargo
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I think I liked season 2 more than season 1, but it's not a huge leap in quality I would say.
Don't mow your lawn
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

I finally saw The Revenant a few days ago. I thought it was an incredible visual experience and an extremely well made movie.

That being said, there were definitely times the story felt contrived and derivative of other films.

I think an adaptation of what actually happened would have been compelling enough, without having to add the extraneous dramatic elements.

As for the "true" story, here's a write up of Hugh Glass' journey in "The Oregon Trail" from Time:
► Show Spoiler
For an extremely compelling and true survival story, I recommend checking out the docu-drama Touching the Void.

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

nxrm wrote:incredible visual experience
My favorite shot:

So powerful.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Damn, just amazing.

Don't mow your lawn
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

The Hateful Eight (2015)
9/10

[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

I know I know they're just cartoons but I loved the Clone Wars and now that I watched them again on Netflix I jumped over the Rebels on Disney XD. it started out kinda silly and childish but it's starting to now get pretty damn good. it's considered canon now by the Lucas Film execs so I've been keeping up with it. seems as though it's getting a lot darker and more serious. you had Chewy and Lando in the first season and now even Leia and Yoda are popping up. check this trailer out, cool shit if you're a Star Wars nut.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Watched Bone Tomahawk today. It's an interesting movie, a horror film with a western setting at Kurt Russell. Don't go expecting Tombstone II. Not a classic, but worth a download. 7.5/10

nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

hellboy wrote:Watched Bone Tomahawk today. It's an interesting movie, a horror film with a western setting at Kurt Russell. Don't go expecting Tombstone II. Not a classic, but worth a download. 7.5/10
Funny, I just watched this the other night as well. I'd rate it a 6/10 though. Not horrible, but not really good either. Well acted, intriguing plot, along with good dialogue, but some peculiar story choices.

Edit: Upgraded my rating to a 6/10 because of the writing and acting. I think if you enjoy westerns and slow burn horror films, it'll be up your alley.
Last edited by nxrm on Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Anyone seen BOTH The Hateful Eight AND The Revenant yet?!?!?

If so, which would you recommend to go see first?
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I haven't seen The Hateful Eight, but I wasn't all that impressed with The Revenant to be honest.
Don't mow your lawn