Star Wars Hype Train (SPOILERS - Beware!!!)

Movies, TV and other video based media
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Star Wars Hype Train

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote:
THE1TRUEMOG wrote:this Star Wars reboot looks like some sort of bad Tweenie movie. .

I don't exactly agree with this but I don't I completely disagree with you either.
I would say once again - I hope people aren't expecting an adult movie.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I was expecting full penetration, is that not what a Star Wars is for?
Don't mow your lawn
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

the chill wrote:
THE1TRUEMOG wrote:The trailer sucked. I am not the world's biggest Star Wars fan and maybe that helps in this case.
You just said you aren't the biggest Stars Wars fan and now you say JJ is not making for the pure Stars Wars fan? If you aren't a purest, then can you even be the expert on what a true Star Wars movie is? Also judging by the trailer it reeks fan boy Star Wars. I think you are confused and talking shit about a movie you haven't seen yet.
I have watched all the Star Wars movies multiple times. I am simply not a fanboy and am capable of objectivity analyzing the topic at hand. I despise JJ Abrams and have extremely low expectations based off his history and the material presented so far. It looks like dumb downed tweeeny nonsense that has been poorly casted. Hardcore Star Wars fans deserved better.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:Hardcore Star Wars fans deserved better.
So you say, yet I don't see many hardcore Star Wars fans complaining.
blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Post by blacksabbath »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:
the chill wrote:
THE1TRUEMOG wrote:The trailer sucked. I am not the world's biggest Star Wars fan and maybe that helps in this case.
You just said you aren't the biggest Stars Wars fan and now you say JJ is not making for the pure Stars Wars fan? If you aren't a purest, then can you even be the expert on what a true Star Wars movie is? Also judging by the trailer it reeks fan boy Star Wars. I think you are confused and talking shit about a movie you haven't seen yet.
I have watched all the Star Wars movies multiple times. I am simply not a fanboy and am capable of objectivity analyzing the topic at hand. I despise JJ Abrams and have extremely low expectations based off his history and the material presented so far. It looks like dumb downed tweeeny nonsense that has been poorly casted. Hardcore Star Wars fans deserved better.
How does despising the director lead to objectivity? It's like Phillip Morris conducting a study on lung cancer. Lol.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

hellboy wrote:
THE1TRUEMOG wrote:Hardcore Star Wars fans deserved better.
So you say, yet I don't see many hardcore Star Wars fans complaining.
Is that a result of rampant fanboism or genuine, objective analysis? It is a question worth further discussion. Ultimately we won't know until it is out, and even then...one cannot discount the power of the mob mentality. So far, the movie looks to be targeting a younger audience. I am not impressed with the casting. More relevant is your reaction to an opinion that in no way was directed at you. I took a shot at Disney and JJ Abrams and stand by that.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

blacksabbath wrote:
THE1TRUEMOG wrote:
How does despising the director lead to objectivity? It's like Phillip Morris conducting a study on lung cancer. Lol.
The directors past history is highly relevant in this discussion. Abrams butchered Star Trek to the point of it almost being comical. Given what I have seen so far from the casting and previews I am underwhelmed and concerned he is doing the same with Star Wars. A series so venerated and loved by so many deserved a more talented director in my opinion. It most certainly deserved more talented lead actors. Abrams has casted a bunch of young nobodies.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:More relevant is your reaction to an opinion that in no way was directed at you. I took a shot at Disney and JJ Abrams and stand by that.
What reaction? My only criticism of your post has been to point out that most hardcore fans don't seem bothered.

If you want to know my thoughts on your opinion, then I'll happily provide them: I agree with some of your points, and disagree with others. There's aspects of the trailer I don't like (in particular the "style" of the CGI being used in particular in the scene with Han Solo and the battle scenes). I have no opinion on whether or not the cast sucks, JJ sucks or Disney sucks, because I don't feel the need to create one until I've seen the movie.

For what it's worth, I don't share your criticisms of the new Star Trek movies. They're not amazing flicks by any stretch, but are quite easily better than most of the original Star Trek movies.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

hellboy wrote:
THE1TRUEMOG wrote:More relevant is your reaction to an opinion that in no way was directed at you. I took a shot at Disney and JJ Abrams and stand by that.
What reaction? My only criticism of your post has been to point out that most hardcore fans don't seem bothered.

If you want to know my thoughts on your opinion, then I'll happily provide them: I agree with some of your points, and disagree with others. There's aspects of the trailer I don't like (in particular the "style" of the CGI being used in particular in the scene with Han Solo and the battle scenes). I have no opinion on whether or not the cast sucks, JJ sucks or Disney sucks, because I don't feel the need to create one until I've seen the movie.

For what it's worth, I don't share your criticisms of the new Star Trek movies. They're not amazing flicks by any stretch, but are quite easily better than most of the original Star Trek movies.
There was most certainly a reaction, otherwise the off topic jab in the gaming thread never would have happened.

As for the Star Trek films, I couldn't disagree more.

Regarding your Star Wars thoughts, fair enough. So far, I don't like the choices Abrams has made. That shouldn't bother anyone or cause a stir.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:There was most certainly a reaction, otherwise the off topic jab in the gaming thread never would have happened.
It must have cut pretty close to the bone to have elicited such a response from you. Thanks for keeping me amused this afternoon!
THE1TRUEMOG wrote:That shouldn't bother anyone or cause a stir.
Why would we bother posting opinions if this was genuinely the case?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Back on-topic - I watched A New Hope over the weekend, which was sadly the enhanced edition. The CGI they used is laughably dated and shit. I hope the get around to releasing the originals one day.
blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Star Wars Hype Train

Post by blacksabbath »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:
blacksabbath wrote:
THE1TRUEMOG wrote:
The directors past history is highly relevant in this discussion. Abrams butchered Star Trek to the point of it almost being comical. Given what I have seen so far from the casting and previews I am underwhelmed and concerned he is doing the same with Star Wars. A series so venerated and loved by so many deserved a more talented director in my opinion. It most certainly deserved more talented lead actors. Abrams has casted a bunch of young nobodies.
What is relevant to discussion is not my point. You cannot be objective in regards to something that you have opinions about. Opinions are the essence of being subjective. You state that you despise Abrams and that the previous movies he directed were not to your liking. Then you state that you are being objective on your speculations in regard to the Star Wars movie he directed. This is contradictory. And this is enough to not bother having any further discussion with you about something I'm looking forward to, and will probably enjoy unless it's extremely terrible. I'm just going to trust Kevin Smith until I actually see it.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

hellboy wrote:
THE1TRUEMOG wrote:There was most certainly a reaction, otherwise the off topic jab in the gaming thread never would have happened.
It must have cut pretty close to the bone to have elicited such a response from you. Thanks for keeping me amused this afternoon!
Classic Redirection. My response was quite tame :roll: Fairly obvious you got a little tweaked.

Back on topic...Star Wars Battlefront beta isn't half bad. Just make sure you are on the imperials side in Walker Assault or you don't stand a chance. Imagine they will balance that before release. Will be curious to see how the movie hype will drive game sales.
blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Star Wars Hype Train

Post by blacksabbath »

hellboy wrote:Back on-topic - I watched A New Hope over the weekend, which was sadly the enhanced edition. The CGI they used is laughably dated and shit. I hope the get around to releasing the originals one day.

It's pretty bad, but the blue ray editions are really good quality aside from the dated cgi parts. Could they update the cgi in the prequels? Seems like they should at some point.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

blacksabbath wrote:
What is relevant to discussion is not my point. You cannot be objective in regards to something that you have opinions about. Opinions are the essence of being subjective. You state that you despise Abrams and that the previous movies he directed were not to your liking. Then you state that you are being objective on your speculations in regard to the Star Wars movie he directed. This is contradictory. And this is enough to not bother having any further discussion with you about something I'm looking forward to, and will probably enjoy unless it's extremely terrible. I'm just going to trust Kevin Smith until I actually see it.
I certainly hope you find it enjoyable. I certainly don't hope it is bad. My premise is not contradictory and is clear given my explanation of my misgivings regarding Abrams based on past history and what I have seen to date. Objective analysis of a topic such as this will inherently have subjective undertones given it's nature. Fundamentally we are dealing in DEGREES as it pertains to penultimate analysis. My lack of significant emotional attachment allows me to get as close to one can to an objective perspective in a medium such as this on a topic of this nature.

As for Kevin Smith, well I love his work and respect the hell out of him, but the man might be the biggest Star Wars fanboi on the planet.
blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Post by blacksabbath »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:
blacksabbath wrote:
I certainly hope you find it enjoyable. I certainly don't hope it is bad. My premise is not contradictory and is clear given my explanation of my misgivings regarding Abrams based on past history and what I have seen to date.

As for Kevin Smith, well I love his work and respect the hell out of him, but the man might be the biggest Star Wars fanboi on the planet.

Thanks man. We all hope it is wonderful. And Smith, fan boy or not, has high standards, and has actually been on the set and saw parts of the movie. However, objective means unbiased. Even if your premise is logical and relevant, it's not objective, as you are clearly biased given your feelings on Abrams. That's part of your argument against fan boys. They are heavily biased. But you're just on the other extreme, anti-fanboy. It's the same lack of objectivity. That's all I'm saying. You can't claim to be objective on this. I can't either, Jar-Jar is actually humorous to me. That's how much I love Star Wars. I saw episode 3, 7x in theaters. lol.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

blacksabbath wrote:
Thanks man. We all hope it is wonderful. And Smith, fan boy or not, has high standards, and has actually been on the set and saw parts of the movie. However, objective means unbiased. Even if your premise is logical and relevant, it's not objective, as you are clearly biased given your feelings on Abrams. That's part of your argument against fan boys. They are heavily biased. But you're just on the other extreme, anti-fanboy. It's the same lack of objectivity. That's all I'm saying. You can't claim to be objective on this. I can't either, Jar-Jar is actually humorous to me. That's how much I love Star Wars. I saw episode 3, 7x in theaters. lol.
Check my post again. I go into more detail on the objective/subjective discussion.

That is awesome you saw it 7 times. When something brings you that much joy it is a special thing indeed.

It is how I feel every time I watch Inception or any Daniel Day Lewis movie lol

Slightly off topic but it is in the sci fi realm...Have you seen The Martian yet? Would love to see it get an Oscar nod. A celebration of science.
blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Post by blacksabbath »

I'm really out of the loop on things, so I just watched the trailer for the Martian. Holy Crap! That looks awesome. And DDL is an amazing actor. But, I don't get why people love Inception so much? I may need to watch it again, but I feel like the same topic is covered in The Matrix and Vanilla Sky. And it's a topic I'm really bored with. But the Martian looks really good.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

hellboy wrote:Back on-topic - I watched A New Hope over the weekend, which was sadly the enhanced edition. The CGI they used is laughably dated and shit. I hope the get around to releasing the originals one day.
Jon Landis spoke at an event recently and said flat out that the original/unaltered trilogy will be coming to Blu Ray "soon." But I mean, as soon as Lucas sold off everything to Disney this was kind of a foregone conclusion, just a matter of when.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Some theories based on the trailer (I've wrapped it in a spoiler tag, but it's just me speculating and not really based on stuff that's "leaked" onto the net):
► Show Spoiler
blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Post by blacksabbath »

That's possible, hellboy. I read that he came from a clan that studied the dark side and that they all took the title ren, like Darth. And he was obsessed with Vader. Seems like if he had the training you speak of he wouldn't have the obsession to me. It does make sense what you are saying though. .
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

blacksabbath wrote:Seems like if he had the training you speak of he wouldn't have the obsession to me.
Seems plausible to me. Vader was corrupted by the Dark Side as well, and that seems to be somewhat attributed by his "poor" training by the Jedi.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I saw a theory that suggested he's obsessed with Darth Vader because...
► Show Spoiler
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:I saw a theory that suggested he's obsessed with Darth Vader because...
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Actually I think it's pretty clear what's going on:
► Show Spoiler

Which is why we've neither seen Luke Skywalker or Chewbacca in any of the promotional materials.
Don't mow your lawn