How will Tool approach the design of the new album?

The Main Event
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Re: How will Tool approach the design of the new album?

Post by The Boss »

I'd be a fan of simple, symbolic pieces that represent the themes of the next album.

As in, revisit that confidence Jones had with "UNDERTOW".

"10,000 DAYS" was just trying waaay too hard.

"LATERALUS" got it with the thematic design. It found a great balance between the intricacy of Grey's work with the band's/Jones' theme. Though it should be shockingly clear at this point that every single thing about that album is perfect to me.

(Yes, even the typo ;))
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

The Boss wrote:I'd be a fan of simple, symbolic pieces that represent the themes of the next album.

"LATERALUS" got it with the thematic design. It found a great balance between the intricacy of Grey's work with the band's/Jones' theme. Though it should be shockingly clear at this point that every single thing about that album is perfect to me.

(Yes, even the typo ;))
a legitimate response about Tool??? on a Tool forum??!! WOW haha...

I agree with what you said though, Lateralus is a COMPLETE album. Everything flows together; it's an album that you honestly can listen front to back and actually feel a vibe and similar undertones throughout. 10,000 Days was enjoyable for me, I agree it wasnt up to par with Lateralus, but I didnt feel as though it was a let down in any way. However I do hope they return to their Lateralus "roots" on the new album. And I believe they will MUSICALLY, although I am worried that Maynards lyrics may not live up to the Lateralus level. Maynard has written amazing lyrics but they all had an emotion behind them, and I'm just not convinced that he will have the emotions needed to really create great lyrics. He can still draw from his mothers sickness and the pain he felt from that to create music, but he's really done that a lot, and in the words of Maynard, "if the songs dont help me out of something, how are they supposed to help you?".... So if he is still singing about that then it looks as if they havent helped him.

I just worry his only emotions to draw from at this point in his life are mundane and too simple to really get great songs from.... is he going to sing about his grapes not making it through winter? His house not selling as fast as he wants?
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
The Boss wrote:I'd be a fan of simple, symbolic pieces that represent the themes of the next album.

(Yes, even the typo ;))
a legitimate response about Tool??? on a Tool forum??!! WOW haha...

I agree with what you said though, Lateralus is a COMPLETE album. Everything flows together; it's an album that you honestly can listen front to back and actually feel a vibe and similar undertones throughout. 10,000 Days was enjoyable for me, I agree it wasnt up to par with Lateralus, but I didnt feel as though it was a let down in any way. However I do hope they return to their Lateralus "roots" on the new album. And I believe they will MUSICALLY, although I am worried that Maynards lyrics may not live up to the Lateralus level. Maynard has written amazing lyrics but they all had an emotion behind them, and I'm just not convinced that he will have the emotions needed to really create great lyrics. He can still draw from his mothers sickness and the pain he felt from that to create music, but he's really done that a lot, and in the words of Maynard, "if the songs dont help me out of something, how are they supposed to help you?".... So if he is still singing about that then it looks as if they havent helped him.

I just worry his only emotions to draw from at this point in his life are mundane and too simple to really get great songs from.... is he going to sing about his grapes not making it through winter? His house not selling as fast as he wants?
Well said, mate.

I'm of the (unpopular) opinion that "LATERALUS" was and always will be their greatest achievement. Those who know me know I'm ne'er one to gush over TOOL, but it's fucking beyond perfect to me. From start to finish, lyrically, musically, artwork-wise, everything - BEYOND perfection.

I'd almost assume that it's why I keep frequenting TOOL forum/s and still have in interest in the band - were I not such a prick.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

The Boss wrote:
Well said, mate.

I'm of the (unpopular) opinion that "LATERALUS" was and always will be their greatest achievement. Those who know me know I'm ne'er one to gush over TOOL, but it's fucking beyond perfect to me. From start to finish, lyrically, musically, artwork-wise, everything - BEYOND perfection.

I'd almost assume that it's why I keep frequenting TOOL forum/s and still have in interest in the band - were I not such a prick.
I also am of that opinion... dont get me wrong, Undertow was great.... AEnima was even better (this album is a very close 2nd for me), but then came Lateralus... it has everything like you mentioned.

Lateralus is TOOLs greatest achievement... The new album, in my opinion, will not be better than Lateralus, and likely not better than AEnima.. that isnt to say it wont be a great album, because even Tools mediocre stuff is still amazing; we/I just hold them to a higher standard because of Lateralus.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
The Boss wrote:
Well said, mate.

I also am of that opinion... dont get me wrong, Undertow was great.... AEnima was even better (this album is a very close 2nd for me), but then came Lateralus... it has everything like you mentioned.

Lateralus is TOOLs greatest achievement... The new album, in my opinion, will not be better than Lateralus, and likely not better than AEnima.. that isnt to say it wont be a great album, because even Tools mediocre stuff is still amazing; we/I just hold them to a higher standard because of Lateralus.
I couldn't agree more.

This has been one fine evening.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Total-package wise, I don't know that they can ever top Lateralus. And that's OK. Every band has to have one of those. Granted, Tool has one of, if not the absolute best, quality ratios of any band I've ever heard so them not topping it is no indicator of poor quality on the rest of the releases.

Also the "time and place factor" can't be taken out of the equation either. Lateralus is still their best work without factoring that in, but a band can only be that that particular place once in their career (i.e. finally forming into a true arena behemoth that isn't going away). That's a big part of the magic surrounding that album and the subsequent tours.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Also yes to all this. I still loved 10K Days presentation, but no need to top it in the "more" department. Then again... kind of want to see them try.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I hope it's just a white page with "TOOL" written on it. Nothing else, no song titles, no album name, nothing.

Imagine all the theories us "toolios" could come up with!
Hey! Denty!
Alittlevil
Has been

Post by Alittlevil »

Just a link to a band "The Atlas Moth" talking about their favorite all time album covers. TOOL rates #1, talking about the Pink Floyd album covers and the Led Zepplin one being water reactive is also interesting I think.

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured ... tlas-moth/
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Their (The Atlas Moth) new cover is fucking awesome. I am not above gimmickry at all, and I hope Adam Jones goes all out with them.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

I don't think the LP will have a name.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I would dig that. Every band needs one of those, right?
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

anyone catch the new video during 'intension' on this latest tour?
go taff!
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

I don't recall seeing a new video. All I've seen is Alex Grey's "Original Face" as a backdrop. Any video links to share? Thanks!
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Ki77aan :twisted:
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

Looking forward to reading about your upcoming King Buzzo show. I only just listened to the album for the first time today. I thinks it's great.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

joeypants wrote:I would dig that. Every band needs one of those, right?
yeah I think so. plus it would probably cut 30-40 days off of the release timeline lol.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
budsyralli
Fornicraster

Post by budsyralli »

@nxrm the video clip/ image was of nature....like looking down a dirt road in a field...the image slowly distorted throughout intention.....it was on the side screens and not the main backdrop
go taff!
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Kittaan wrote:Image
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

budsyralli wrote:@nxrm the video clip/ image was of nature....like looking down a dirt road in a field...the image slowly distorted throughout intention.....it was on the side screens and not the main backdrop
Thanks for the extra info. I'll look around for that.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Speaking of Intension...

Dear Tool,

Please consider hoisting a gigantic white tarp over the arena at all shows from now on. Thanks.

nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

joeypants wrote:Please consider hoisting a gigantic white tarp over the arena at all shows from now on. Thanks.
I agree. Maybe a performance in the round, in a dome.
budsyralli
Fornicraster

Post by budsyralli »

still no video/image of this mysterious ' intension' video to be found. anyone else at the Portland show?
go taff!
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

budsyralli wrote:still no video/image of this mysterious ' intension' video to be found. anyone else at the Portland show?
The Eugene show from the following night is on YouTube. Just watch it.
budsyralli
Fornicraster

Post by budsyralli »

watched it...no sign of the video on side screen
go taff!