Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Tool_User
Optomist

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Tool_User »

Although there were some parts on invincible that I thought were prime for some old style maynard screaming I guess he just felt more introspective than angry about shit which is what you'd expect.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

the Grudge part from 8:30-9:30
the grudge vibes at that part. Not a criticism from me at all but definitely hear the grudge in that lick
The Grudge part was also in Rosetta Stoned 13 years ago. So what? :mrgreen:
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Anyone on here going to see them at Download UK?
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

Re: Maynards live vocals I keep remembering this interview, from 5:00 on:

The remark about the wine drinking really stepped on his toe. :D

In any case I'd prefer him doing on the record what he can replicate live, instead of going beyond his limitations and leaving those bits out on tour right away (like the Vicarious scream et al).
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Tool_User wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:39 am
I always find vocals come across the worst live too. I'm sure on cd it will fit and sound right.
100% agree on that, which makes me feel I'm being quite nitpicky, which is unfair given the quality of these compared to what will come from the studio. A lot of nuance and depth gets lost from vocals live vs recorded.

At the end of the day, if this is as "bad" as the vocals get, the roll on August!

FWIW I have almost 0 concerns that Tool are "reusing" riffs and such. It's pretty rare for any band approaching 30 years old to not suffer from this, and as I pointed out on another forum we're hardly talking about AC/DC levels of recycling here.

I actually think Invincible has a pretty unique vibe - sure it has some commonality with the Tool sound, but ploughs some new aural fields as well.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I have zero problems with being reminded of the grudge or Lateralus etc just pointing out that it reminds me of those riffs and was surprised it hadnt been called out earlier re: the grudge.

based on these 2 songs alone show me a band reaching this type of quality after 30 years in the game. They are few and far between so I have absolutely no complaints , I also find invincible to be like nothing they've ever done before structurally. I find the song groovy as all fuck which is a massive tick from me and mesmerizing at the risk of sounding like a fan boy
Listen to All Them Witches
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

The guitar solos in the BHM recordings of the new tracks sound waaayyy better than rockville, which is a mild relief I suppose.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

ziggy23 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:03 am

Zig I'm trying to remember the last time you made a comment on here compared to posting a video link. Help me out here?
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

He replied to a few of my posts just today!
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Fuck me how hopeless am I?! Sorry Zig. I just always see his videos but don't see him saying much is all.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I've actually had the same thought as you for quite a while, but he brings the best news, I had no idea about Apocalypse Now new cut
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

I love the Zig. he's fingers always on the pulse and always sharing new vids with us all, just don't recall him including many words with his videos. Just intriguing to me is all
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

hellboy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:25 am
That said, I can't quite shake the feeling that Maynard's vocals are a little underdone here. The style of his singing, and the lyrics aren't an issue. It's more the way it's been applied to the music. One 10,000 Days there was plenty of story telling happening, on some complex music that I know must have taken some time to work out (Wings and Rosetta Stoned in particular). In both Descending and Invincible, the vocals stand out quite a bit to me as having just been added to an existing instrumental, rather than woven into the track. I'm hoping that by the time the album comes out this will turn out the be a massive overreaction for now, but I'd hate to think after 13 years, they rushed it a bit at the end just to slam some Maynard vocals over the top of some admittedly cool tracks.

Despite those criticisms, I'm super excited for this album, and any real fears for me that I wouldn't dig it have certainly been allayed for now.
Wow, exactly what i was thinking, the vocals stand out, on 10,000 Days the vocal harmonies were pretty good but on these 2 songs it’s like the vocals were added hastily, i still love both songs and i think the album versions will be superb.
I forgot my pen
grr915
Bronco's Fan

Post by grr915 »

Not sure if this was posted yet, but decent audio on this recording.
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

not going to lie. i had low expectations for the new songs. sweet baby jesus, i am all in. these songs seriously rock. bham was an experience...still riding real high
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

guys his lyrics are dope he’s not going to let us down

MUSTER EVERY FIBER!

MOBILIZE,

STAY! ALIVE!
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

hellboy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:28 am
Tool_User wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:39 am
I always find vocals come across the worst live too. I'm sure on cd it will fit and sound right.
100% agree on that, which makes me feel I'm being quite nitpicky, which is unfair given the quality of these compared to what will come from the studio. A lot of nuance and depth gets lost from vocals live vs recorded.

At the end of the day, if this is as "bad" as the vocals get, the roll on August!

FWIW I have almost 0 concerns that Tool are "reusing" riffs and such. It's pretty rare for any band approaching 30 years old to not suffer from this, and as I pointed out on another forum we're hardly talking about AC/DC levels of recycling here.

I actually think Invincible has a pretty unique vibe - sure it has some commonality with the Tool sound, but ploughs some new aural fields as well.
To be fair we've waited years for this, we were all bound to descend on it like starved savages and pull it apart.

I was disappointed at first to hear the similarities with their earlier work but as you point out that's inevitable, and the more I listen the more unique it sounds.

My impression is that they decided not to hold back on this. Just go on a journey with each song and see where it leads, no boundaries no holds barred. The end product is 10 minute plus songs that take every twist and turn imaginable. Fuck yeah!
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

thekillingjoke wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:57 am In any case I'd prefer him doing on the record what he can replicate live, instead of going beyond his limitations and leaving those bits out on tour right away (like the Vicarious scream et al).
I completely disagree...

We will be listening to these songs for the rest of our lives, long after Tool is likely done touring, and well beyond the time that MJK can replicate his younger voice. I would MUCH prefer him stretch his vocals and limitation on the CD version, and leave out those parts live. I might hear him perform those songs live a handful of times... but i will hear the CD version thousands of times... I want that version to be perfection, groundbreaking, pushing the envelope.

Ive thought that with Ticks in the past. He cant perform those screams live anymore, but damn am i glad he did it at least once for the CD version so it can live on forever.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

I've got so comfortable with these live recordings that I almost don't give a shit the album release is so far away. If the album had already dropped I would never in a million years paid so much attention to live vids on YouTube. This will keep me going for a while and when the album does finally drop I can experience them in a whole new way plus hear all the other new songs that I'm not going to listen to even if they do play live.

Also thanks again for Fourtheye Hellboy. Reddit feels too impersonal and there's not really much else out there. This is a great little community, not over moderated and everyone's opinion counts no matter how retarded. Its been great sharing the dissapointment/excitment/hype with you all.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:03 am
thekillingjoke wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:57 am In any case I'd prefer him doing on the record what he can replicate live, instead of going beyond his limitations and leaving those bits out on tour right away (like the Vicarious scream et al).
I completely disagree...

We will be listening to these songs for the rest of our lives, long after Tool is likely done touring, and well beyond the time that MJK can replicate his younger voice. I would MUCH prefer him stretch his vocals and limitation on the CD version, and leave out those parts live. I might hear him perform those songs live a handful of times... but i will hear the CD version thousands of times... I want that version to be perfection, groundbreaking, pushing the envelope.

Ive thought that with Ticks in the past. He cant perform those screams live anymore, but damn am i glad he did it at least once for the CD version so it can live on forever.
I could quite easily of agreed with this as I was underwhelmed when I first heard the vocals but the more I listen the more it works for me. I still hope there's the odd scream on the album but you gotta be angry for that and I don't think he is anymore.
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

I completely disagree...

100%
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

I completely disagree...

Fair point! Haven't thought about it that way.
Not sure if he would agree to this philosophy though.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

I completely disagree...

You are not being realistic. The man is 55 years old. Moreover I would rather him do what HE WANTS in terms of vocals and harmonies. Whatever he thinks will best fit the music. So far, Descending and Invincible, do not need any screams. He is sitting in the pocket picking his spots and singing clean. It works.
The most intelligent person on this forum
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Hellboy mentioned about the lack of story telling and I gotta disagree. Has anyone posted the lyrics to Invicible yet? These are really good and fit that song perfectly.

Invincible (pulled from zee interwebs likely not completely correct)

Longing tooth and soul
Longing for another win
Merge into the (frame/fray)
Weapon out and bellied in
A warrior, struggling to remain, consequential
Go around
Bold and proud
Where I've been?
Here I am

Beating chest and drum
Beating tired bones again
Age-old battle, mine
Weapon out and bellied in

Tales told of battles won
Of things we've done
Come give your love, again

Beating tired bones tripping through, remember when?
Once invincible, now the armors wearing thin, heavy shield down

Warrior, struggling, to remain, relevant
Warrior, struggling, to remain, consequential
Cry aloud, bold and proud
Where I've been
Here I am
Where I am

Warrior, struggling to remain, relevant
Warrior, struggling to remain, consequential

A tear in my eyes, chasing Ponce de Leons fountain sword
Filled with (holes/hope), I can taste mythical
Sultans false hope, perhaps, but the truth never got in my way