Mastodon

Music in all its forms and styles
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Re: Mastodon

Post by Calfium Jay »

I don't think it sounds "prog" at all. In fact, if anything, they are becoming more and more like a conventional "rock band" as time goes on.

Not good.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

am I listening to the right song? I'm confused as to why people are hating. "High Road" right? .....Mastodon? maybe I need to get my ears fixed. this song is dope as fuck. it's a headbanger from the start. cynical fucks.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:am I listening to the right song? I'm confused as to why people are hating. "High Road" right? .....Mastodon? maybe I need to get my ears fixed. this song is dope as fuck. it's a headbanger from the start. cynical fucks.
Has't got anything to do with being cynical. Most just don't like the vocals it appears. Your opinion is as valid as anyone's of course. Musically, it should have been called the "Middle Road".
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Sorry but I expect better from a band like Mastodon - a band that I hold in pretty high esteem. Hopefully the rest of the album is "better".

This is not being cynical at all. It was just extremely underwhelming. The chorus in particular was boring and even slightly cringe worthy.

Still, I am looking forward to hearing the entire album.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

With The Hunter they took things into a more mainstream direction. Certainly more accessible to a larger audience. This new track continues in that direction. I respect Mastodon for trying new things but sometimes you swing and miss. That chorus is fucking awful.
The most intelligent person on this forum
iloveposters
Geacon

Post by iloveposters »

My friend who works for their record company passed along three tracks to me, and I am completely underwhelmed. Was a big fan of Crack The Skye, The Hunter was alright, but this so far is pretty meh. It sounds like Mastodon but nothing really stands out. I am wondering if I have to hear these songs in context with the rest of the album to see if they sound more fluent and not as conventional rock.
5/20/2001 - NYC, NY
9/22/2001 - Hartford, CT
8/12/2002 - Trenton, NJ
5/20/2006 - NYC, NY
9/28/2006 - Camden, NJ
10/5/2006 - Hartford, CT
10/6/2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
10/7/2006 - Uniondale, NY
8/1/2009 - Jersey City, NY
1/31/2012 - Uncasville, CT
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

Definitely underwhelmed. And yes that chorus is fucking heinous. Then again I have never dug their vocals. Let us hope the rest of the album is a far cry from this mainstream sound. Maybe they should have taken their time a little? There was no rush for this album. I'll hold the rest of my opinion to myself until the album drops.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

BlackHole83 wrote:Definitely underwhelmed. And yes that chorus is fucking heinous. Then again I have never dug their vocals. Let us hope the rest of the album is a far cry from this mainstream sound. Maybe they should have taken their time a little? There was no rush for this album. I'll hold the rest of my opinion to myself until the album drops.
There was no rush for the album, but most professional musicians actually enjoy writing music. I know you being a Tool fan that is probably a difficult concept to process.

Bottom line they Fucked up the chorus. That ruined the song. That being said, the music itself is good. Had they wrote that same song with a completely different chorus I would have likely dug it.

I think they hit their peak with Blood Mountain. I don't mind the direction they have to decided to go in but I don't think it showcases their talent as well as their work prior to The Hunter. They are still a good band and I am looking forward to the new album.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Love this more and more. ESPECIALLY the chorus haha.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Finally had a chance to listen to the new track. Gave it 4 spins. I hear the gripes about the chorus on one level, but I didn't hate it.

I loved The Hunter, but this was just OK. Of course, I am really anticipating hearing the whole album, but hoping it's better than this track was for me.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Here's a partial review of Once More Round The Sun:

http://www.media.wmg-is.com/media/porta ... 855119.pdf

Sounds like it's going to be in a similar vein to The Hunter - ie straight up rock riffs with anthemic choruses. I'm a bit disappointed by this.....thought they were going back to weirder, proggier territory....

:|

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

No point getting too carried away judging this until it's released.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Calfium Jay wrote:Here's a partial review of Once More Round The Sun:

http://www.media.wmg-is.com/media/porta ... 855119.pdf

Sounds like it's going to be in a similar vein to The Hunter - ie straight up rock riffs with anthemic choruses. I'm a bit disappointed by this.....thought they were going back to weirder, proggier territory....

:|
Not really surprising. The Hunter was an obvious departure from all their prior work. I am still looking forward to it. The chorus in the new song sucked but the rest was cool. As long as the entire album isn't full of terrible choruses it will be all right.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

I'm not getting my hopes up:

Bill via Loudwire
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Boy I'm glad I'm on the other side of the fence here. I still have been blasting High Road multiple times daily. I'm really excited to hear whatever this "Winter EP" is they're going to release with songs they cut off this thing for being too "dark" or "moody" or whatever.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

petemasterpete wrote:I'm not getting my hopes up:

Bill via Loudwire
Damn that was a rough review. It just might be an album full of shitty choruses. Man that would suck.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Mastodon has debuted the album art in the new issue of Metal Hammer.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Kinda reminds me of that episode of Aqua Something You Know Whatever they were on.
Don't mow your lawn
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Album artwork has been released. It is a quadruple gatefold album. Looks sweet!

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Looks good to me. Let's hope Tool can also do something cool with vinyl when they get around to releasing something.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

hellboy wrote: when they get around to releasing something.

Really wish they would go ahead and get on that. I'd love it if they would release the new album on vinyl when they release the new album.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

badkittygothgirl wrote:
hellboy wrote: when they get around to releasing something.

Really wish they would go ahead and get on that. I'd love it if they would release the new album on vinyl when they release the new album.
That's just crazy talk.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

who's the artist? anyone know? he/she does incredible work. it pops.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

The Boss wrote:That's just crazy talk.

I know, more like wishful thinking. In this aspect, it is the one time I wish they were like other bands. *gasp, cringe* I know.
N.Y.H.C. wrote:who's the artist? anyone know? he/she does incredible work. it pops.

His name is Skinner. Here is his fb page. https://www.facebook.com/theartofskinner