I’ve noticed a few interesting happenings in regards to bands that have supported Tool over the years, and today I shall compile them into one handy post for you all to enjoy.
Firstly, not only are the Melvins touring with Unsane, but it appears they are recording something. A new album I guess. Seems not all that long ago they released the last one, but I always welcome a new Melvins album!
Someone was bugging me about the Mastodon/Opeth tour the other day, and yes, they are touring together in the US. Here are some dates:
- 04/04 – Portland, ME – State Theater (M)
- 04/05 – Boston, MA – Orpheum Theater (O)
- 04/06 – Montreal, QC – Metropolis (O)
- 04/07 – Toronto, ON – Sony Centre (O)
- 04/09 – Philadelphia, PA – Electric Factory(M)
- 04/10 – Wallingford, CT – The Dome (M)
- 04/11 – New York, NY – Roseland Ballroom (M)
- 04/13 – Chicago, IL – Riviera Theatre(M)
- 04/14 – Grand Rapids, MI – The Intersection (M)
- 04/15 – Pittsburgh, PA – Stage AE (M)
- 04/16 – Knoxville, TN – TN Theater (O)
- 04/18 – Oklahoma City, OK – Diamond Ballroom (M)
- 04/19 – Dallas, TX – Palladium Ballroom (O)
- 04/20 – San Antonio, TX – Back Stage Live (O)
- 04/21 – Corpus Christi, TX – Concrete Street (O)
- 04/23 – Denver, CO – Fillmore Auditorium (O)
- 04/25 – Las Vegas, NV – House of Blues (M)
- 04/26 – Los Angeles, CA – Gibson Amphitheatre (O)
- 04/27 – Oakland, CA – Fox Theatre (O)
- 04/28 – Reno, NV – Grand Sierra Resort (M)
- 04/30 – Seattle, WA – The Paramount (O)
- 05/01 – Vancouver, BC – Orpheum Theatre (O)
- 05/03 – Edmonton, AB – Edmonton Events Center (O)
- 05/04 – Calgary, AB – MacEwan Hall (M)
- 05/05 – Saskatoon, SK – The Odeon (O)
- 05/06 – Winnipeg, MB – Burton Cummings Theatre (O)
- 05/09 – Washington, DC – The Fillmore (O)
- 05/10 – Charlotte, NC – The Fillmore (M)
- 05/11 – Myrtle Beach, SC – House of Blues (M)
- 05/12 – Atlanta, GA – Masquerade Music Park (M)
They will be sharing the headlining slot, and the little O’s and M’s can help you determine who will be headlining on what night. Aussies can look forward to some Mastodon shows later this month!
I did a quick Google search on some other support acts for you, and came up with the following:
- Tweak Bird & Dalek don’t seem to be doing much.
- Jakob have been recording (with Aaron Harris of ISIS I believe) and hope to have something out in April.
- Speaking of ISIS, they may or may not have broken up, who really knows! All I know is I accidentally trolled Aaron’s Facebook page thinking it was someone else!
- As previously noted Meshuggah are doing a few tours, and are also putting an album out shorty.
- Tomahawk are supposedly recording very soon (February is what I heard).
And that’s about all I could come up with. Enjoy your weekend!
Update: Since you can’t keep a good thread down:
- Wovenhand don’t seem to be doing much, but have a date in Denver in March
- Melt Banana seems to be playing some shows in Japan, having toured the US last year.
@hellboy – Could you elaborate on the trolling of Aaron’s facebook page (not that I care about such details lol)?
What, we can’t get any updates as to what Melt Banana is up to?
isis most definitely broke up nearly 2 years ago, i dont know why you would act like there is some question in that
and no, planning a posthumous rarities compilation doesnt mean they are back together
Lighten up dtnd, it was a joke…
What about Wovenhand?? I thought those guys were pretty awesome!
what’s this thing about the isis breakup? details, hellboy. DETAILS!
Isn’t Intronaut preparing to start writing a new album or something?
Wovenhand and Melt Banana updates added!
Good O but where’s the Cosmic Psychos update?
Couldn’t find any news on them!
What, no Mastodon updates? I mean they are going back out on tour soon with Opeth.
I kid, I kid. Seriously I don’t think anyone would’ve missed the lack of Melt Banana updates.
Opeth AND Mastodon. No Buenos. Opeth Mastodon is beyond terrible live. I would only go to see Opeth and Ghost.
Edit: Mastodon is beyond terrible live. Opeth is fucking phenomenal live.
Edit: Mastodon are beyond terrible live. Opeth are fucking phenomenal live.
Are these bands per contract agreement with Tool prior to going on tour legally obligated to keep quiet and not speak about what Maynard and the band is like in person? When they tour do they have any interaction with Tool at all? Are they allowed to make eye contact with any of the bandmembers? Does Blair troll them? I’m really quite intrigued about the opening bands interaction with the guy from Tool.
Edit: I noticed I said “Guy from Tool” when I meant to type “Guys” but I think I’ll leave it…
^ That reminds me. I saw this posted on another forum and found it funny. It’s from some newspaper opinion column. “Last night I worked a Tool concert. For those not familiar with them, Tool is a heavy metal band of spoiled brats. They held a meeting with us (I am an Usher) prior to the event and threatened to have us all fired if we did not keep everyone in their seats and if they saw anyone taking pictures or videotaping the show. Oh-and their organ player does not like to be watch or looked at, so we were… Read more »
I saw Mastodon opening for Soundgarden and the sound was terrible. I wasn’t sure if that was just because they were the opening band or not. I am kind of intrigued to see the Opeth/Mastodon tour though. Mastodon’s latest album is amazing.
@polarbear: I bet “their organ player” is a reference to maynard. lol
So I wonder if Tool is just fucking with everyone or what?
Also, I’ve been a fan of Wovenhand since they toured with Tool in 2010 and have been waiting for a show near Oklahoma, but all the lead singer does is spout cryptic bible quotes on facebook. One of the best parts of their show was that bassist and he left apparently.
Big Business is working on a new album
Chigago Post-Rock/Metal-Trio Russian Circles (which supported Tool in 2007 in London and Manchester, GB) will be touring Europe in April/May in support of their most recent album ‘Empros‘. Just so you know. 😉