Long time no news! Updating weekly appears to be a weak point of mine, but here’s the latest and greatest. Highlights include:
- Justin’s Goblin Master bit at Primus shows
- Daily Grail discuss the importance of Occult Rock
- A Perfect Circle release video for The Doomed
- Tool Newsletters: Still a thing!
- Albums of the last few weeks: Godflesh, Converge, Polaris, Merchant
Oh and in case you missed it, Adam said Tool have re-recorded Opiate. We all knew this already though right? I think it was recorded back in 2015 when the guys from Motorhead filmed Tool in the studio.
Justin as the Goblin Master
We all know that Justin featured on the new Primus album as the Goblin Master, but you may not know that Justin also plays this part in their live shows, albeit in video form. For your enjoyment:
Occult Rock: The Influence of Magick in Modern Rock
Magic with a K is of great importance, and this article from the Daily Grail goes into a bit of history being the occult in modern rock. It’s got quite a bit on Tool, so worth a read. It’s got some good photos of the talismanic boards often present at Tool shows.
A Perfect Circle released The Doomed video
Here it is!
Tool Newsletters: Still a thing!
Blair says that Newsletters are still being written, and hopefully one day published!
Q: What happened to the Tool newsletters?
A: Having first made sure that all of the archived newsletters were recovered during the transfer (initially I had some doubt), I have been checking on the progress of getting them posted ever since. Recently, the earliest ones (going back to 2000) began to appear on the back end – at which time I was informed that the delay in getting the rest of them up is due to the developers having to import and edit all them manually as a result of the code that our old webmaster used. Soon (again, according to the folks at Full Screen Direct) they will be displayed and archived in a separate section. Once this is done, I will also add the newer ones that I have been writing (every month) but not posting until there is a dedicated area. Thank you for your patience.
Albums of the last few weeks!
- Aussie doom band Merchant put out a stellar release last week. If Yob is your thing, check this out!
- Godflesh are a favorite of mine, and have a new album out this week called Post Self. It’s not bad and worth a listen…
- Converge are one of the best modern punk bands around, especially if you’re in the the heavier subgenres. The Dusk In Us is another great addition to their discography.
- Another Aussie band, this time Polaris put out a good if somewhat forumlaic progressive metal album called The Mortal Coil.