Last album or more

The Main Event
Hodef
Bronco's Fan

Last album or more

Post by Hodef »

I've been told this new album is Tool's last album. I figure there will be at least 2 more albums maybe 3. Has anyone talked to a member of Tool that said whether there will be more albums?
Hodef
Bronco's Fan

Please delete one of these.

Post by Hodef »

I made a mistake by posting this topic twice. Sorry.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Re: Last album or more

Post by Busty McCracken »

I kinda think you made a mistake by creating a thread for this at all man.

We've waited 13 years for a new album which is yet to be released , yet people are asking about the next album? Can't we just enjoy this one once it actually comes out and then if in say 3-4 years if we are all still alive, then ask the question?
Listen to All Them Witches
Hodef
Bronco's Fan

You're right

Post by Hodef »

I just wondered if anyone knew. It is too early. You're right. Sorry.
tys0n
Streeper

VAGINAS

Post by tys0n »

Maynard said in an interview Tool will continue to make music until one of them dies, still trying to work out if that was a threat though.
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

It's all good dude, you're not the first to ask the question.

Tool themselves wouldn't be able to answer it. See how successful this album is and the ensuing tour. If we get another new album it wouldn't be for a bloody long time to enjoy this one as if it's the last and go from there
Listen to All Them Witches
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Hodef - no one knows outside of the band. It's fine to have a speculation thread like this, but attempting to find some kind of definitive answer is a waste of time.

FWIW I've said before numerous times, I don't believe Tool are planning for the next one to be their last album, but unless they increase their productivity in the next few years, it will likely be so.
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

It most likely will be an actual 27 years (10,000 days) until the next album, given that chart that showed their release cycles follow the Fibonacci.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

limeygringo wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:08 pm It most likely will be an actual 27 years (10,000 days) until the next album, given that chart that showed their release cycles follow the Fibonacci.
Nice! I will be 76!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Maynard did say they would "make music until one of us dies." And I believe that.

I truly also believe that age/impending time will kick Adam and Co. in the ass and they won't take so long after this one.
Hodef
Bronco's Fan

Post by Hodef »

Joey pants
thanks for positive comments and encouragement. I also think Tool will take less time with the next album. Of course, we shouldn't talk about this until after the new album release. I got tired of all the negativity at my last forum. Let's hope they make a few more before Tool has to call it quits. I'm hoping for at least 3 albums after the new release coming up. Thank you.
snazzl3frass
Has been
Height: Tall as fuck

Post by snazzl3frass »

Yikes, 3 more albums? I don't think I'd be able to handle that. Then again I
Nice couch. Fuck your couch.
Hodef
Bronco's Fan

Waste of time

Post by Hodef »

Snazzl3frass
I think the administration is right in that speculating about albums is a waste of time, because no one outside of Tool knows how many albums they have left. I remain an optimist that there will be 2 to 3 albums left until Maynard shoots it down.
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

They do have an extensive backlog of material that hadn't made it on recent albums. Maybe they'll release that after they've gone independent. I'd be ok with that, even if it's all just instrumental.
Hodef
Bronco's Fan

More albums

Post by Hodef »

Snazzl3frass
I'm hoping they don't sign another contract. It would make more sense to go independent. What backlog there is could translate into more albums. It's matter of inspiration as someone told me. I don't doubt that Adam and Co. have the inspiration, not to mention the material. It's a matter of what they can do with limited time and getting Maynard into the mix. There is Hope.
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

They don't need another contract. They've got the resources to be independent now, and that would make more sense considering they're all about full control of their art. I'm holding out hope for a decent amount of releases in the next 5-10 years; whether live releases, some kind of movie, etc etc. Yeah, hope is a pretty bold word to say in the Tool-verse, but fuckit.
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Re: More albums

Post by limeygringo »

Hodef wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:57 pm Snazzl3frass
I'm hoping they don't sign another contract. It would make more sense to go independent. What backlog there is could translate into more albums. It's matter of inspiration as someone told me. I don't doubt that Adam and Co. have the inspiration, not to mention the material. It's a matter of what they can do with limited time and getting Maynard into the mix. There is Hope.
My sister met someone who worked for Volcano when she worked at a winery, he had a bunch of promo stuff for Tool, free albums, bottles of Caduceus(!). She said he said Maynard hates being around record company people, that the guy and Maynard had a great conversation at a party once but once he found out he was with "the company", he bailed the conversation. Who knows if that's really true, but i wouldn't be surprised.

I'm fairly sure they're sick of the BS, after the lawsuit in the 90s and I'm pretty sure the founder of Zoo wasn't there after that, either. Plus Maynard's whole thing now is about going off the grid and DIY. And it only makes sense for the band to follow in the footsteps of all their peers going indie.

But I honestly doubt they'll put out another record. Ænema is starting to look fairly prophetic these days.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

This will be Tool’s last full length album. Enjoy it.
The most intelligent person on this forum
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

I bet you a chicken dinner it won't be. Heck, I'll even throw in a Chewbacca ice cream pop. I sense another album release competition in the near future. Near in "Danny" terms.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

snazzl3frass wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:25 pm I bet you a chicken dinner it won't be. Heck, I'll even throw in a Chewbacca ice cream pop. I sense another album release competition in the near future. Near in "Danny" terms.
I will take that bet sir. Although I am a bit scared as to what a Chewbacca ice cream pop tastes like. How about a box of wine instead...

CHAPPELLLE SHOWWWW!!!!

oh how i miss my early 20s. High, hopeful, full of life.
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

M0G wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:44 pm I am a bit scared as to what a Chewbacca ice cream pop tastes like. How about a box of wine instead...
Tastes like waiting 13 years for an album that was to come out "soon" in 2012. And stale light beer.

Box of wine, fuck yeah. It's been years since I've played slap the bag. Ah, to be a college burn out again.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

snazzl3frass wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:47 pm
M0G wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:44 pm I am a bit scared as to what a Chewbacca ice cream pop tastes like. How about a box of wine instead...
Tastes like waiting 13 years for an album that was to come out "soon" in 2012. And stale light beer.

Box of wine, fuck yeah. It's been years since I've played slap the bag. Ah, to be a college burn out again.
So it's the Bud Light of ice cream pops then
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

More like Busch Light. I can't smell that stuff without dry heaving.

But yeah one more full album please, ya old fucks.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Pure speculation here obviously, but I think it’ll be their last album.

Cool scenario speculation: it looks like this album will in fact be a bunch of long songs- something that I can’t say I’m a fan of (ultimately the album will determine everything of course). They may have a bunch of shorter songs (4 mins to 7 minute range) already ready to go in the not to distant future (ie 3 years).
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

That would be great but in hindsight I don't think they'd do that. I think various members have complained about how releasing albums every couple years tends to "make bands sound like garage band covers of themselves"