limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Apocalyptic Themes

Post by limeygringo »

Ænima - title track

Lateralus - Faaip De Oiad

10,000 Days - Rosetta Stoned, Right In Two

#5 - Everything We've Heard So Far

Thoughts on the concurrent thread of Apocalyptic themes on albums?
Ahhh, Infotainment!
children
Metalologist

Re: Apocalyptic Themes

Post by children »

Flood is sort of apocalyptic too. I see all their albums as having different threads of continuity. Flood to Aenema. 4 Degrees to Stinkfist. The Grudge to 10,000 Days. Sweat to Third Eye. Faaip de Oiad to Rosetta Stoned. Opiate to The Pot sort of too. I'm sure there are more I am forgetting at the moment. It's all one big story in my mind.
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
Raffa D
of Arimathea

Post by Raffa D »

children wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:33 pm Flood is sort of apocalyptic too. I see all their albums as having different threads of continuity. Flood to Aenema. 4 Degrees to Stinkfist. The Grudge to 10,000 Days. Sweat to Third Eye. Faaip de Oiad to Rosetta Stoned. Opiate to The Pot sort of too. I'm sure there are more I am forgetting at the moment. It's all one big story in my mind.
Brilliant. If you come up with more. Let us know please.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

children wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:33 pm It's all one big story in my mind.
Indeed it is.
Canned audience laughter
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

children wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:33 pm Flood is sort of apocalyptic too. I see all their albums as having different threads of continuity. Flood to Aenema. 4 Degrees to Stinkfist. The Grudge to 10,000 Days. Sweat to Third Eye. Faaip de Oiad to Rosetta Stoned. Opiate to The Pot sort of too. I'm sure there are more I am forgetting at the moment. It's all one big story in my mind.
crawl away - H
go taff!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Not sure I'd call the themes of Invincible and Descending apocalyptic personally, but certainly they both has a shared theme of late life reflection and lamentations
_peterpwn
Has been

Post by _peterpwn »

Descending for me is the new national anthem of western civilization
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

I would say Vicarious has a very apocalyptic theme. Maynard being the voice of “God”. I know they have said 10,000 days is their blues album and that kind of rings true.
All well Whatever, Nevermind
Octopod
Maynard Believer

Post by Octopod »

I'm glad to see some folk who think this way about Tool's art. This is what I have always thought about their music and presentation.

I think of their records as pieces of a single concept rather than concept albums. Instead, the band is the concept.

This is not to say that I believe that everything was planned out from the beginning. It's more like they began with a few core concepts on Opiate, and developed those same concepts from different angles with each subsequent album.

Another thread I would add to those you mention above is the Sweat to Prison Sex to H. to Schism.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

_peterpwn wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:36 am Descending for me is the new national anthem of western civilization
Same as what I was thinking.