The Grudge (WARNING: 26 years to #6?)

The Main Event
User avatar
hellboy
Site Admin
Posts: 11536
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Height: 182cm
Contact:

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by hellboy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:50 am

tys0n wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:39 am
hellboy wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:25 am
tys0n wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:21 am
Yeah but all it was the same fucking thing you already owned in a new package.

The same fucking thing.
I guess, in the same way that if I upgrade by 2007 Camry to a 2019 model it's the "same fucking thing"
So the 2019 Camry had the exact same fucking engine of the 2007?

Just a prettier chassis?
I dunno, I haven't checked

User avatar
Calfium Jay
Duck Sucker
Posts: 2670
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:31 pm
Height: 189cm
Location: Between the buttons!!!

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Calfium Jay » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:33 pm

hellboy wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:15 am
There was a fair gap between releases though. Ask me in 21 years time what I think of a FI re-issue.

In 21 years? You mean when the next album comes out??


:|
People like me just want to watch the world burn.

rinkwhopper
Has been
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:55 pm
Contact:

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by rinkwhopper » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:55 pm

tys0n wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:21 am
Yeah but all it was the same fucking thing you already owned in a new package.

The same fucking thing.
at least with that there were autographs and a chance at fabulous prizes.

User avatar
Boldizar
Optomist
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:15 am

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Boldizar » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:38 am

tys0n wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:19 am
For every whining cunt complaining about this tours set list Jesus H Christ, we've gotten the same complaints for 13 years now and now they are finally touring a new album you complain about the new tracks they don't play?

Like I said before the tour, they are going to treat these new songs like pokemon, gotta catch them all. Where is the appreciation you actually get to hear 4 new songs from Tool live instead of the same old complaint you been spweing for years about 'same old rehashed set list'

No matter what they do, even if they offered to fellate you after the show you'd still complain because you're cunts, Tool fans are cunts and y'all are just thirsty for the six inch wrench.
Complete horseshit. Sounds like you are offering to fellate them. Fucking CCtrip does count as a "new song", Danny's been doing it for like 3 years anyways. Is it really whining to want to see them okay the new album on the tour for the new album? It's a disappointment for them to role out a set list of only 3 new songs, but for them to start rotating a 4th on and off for no reason is fucking stupid. Who the hell can afford to travel around hoping to "catch" the acceptable, good version of the show?

People are complaining because they are playing the same stupid bullshit hits despite having a new, phenomenal album. Why is this so hard to grasp? I would have had zero complaints if they played 4 actual songs every night, even if they rotated. But no, not only can Tool not release a new album properly, they can't support it with a tour properly either.
Dan Brown's Fear Inoculum: Best novel ever written, inspiring, worth the wait, not enough yelling, every page reads like the DaVinci Code... 3/10

User avatar
Busty McCracken
Queric
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Busty McCracken » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:48 am

I get everyone's disappointment and right to bitch. I mean I'm not 100% on the seats I got for Melb and woulda been nice to get a better view of the whole stage front on but at the same.. Fuck yeh I got tickets and am seeing tool. I guess there's just two ways at looking at life.

1: This is bullshit, they only played 3 new songs and a bunch of old songs ive already heard. Fuck tool.

2: How good is this. My favourite band are still alive and together, releasing quality new music nearly 30 years after formation and sounding as good as they ever have. They're playing some deadly new songs along with the hits.

I know what side of the fence I sit on and how enriched my life is as a result. Half full . Half empty. As I've said earlier on these boards.. there's a life lesson in this shit.
Listen to All Them Witches

User avatar
tys0n
Lost Cosmonaut
Posts: 3321
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by tys0n » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:49 am

Boldizar wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:38 am
tys0n wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:19 am
For every whining cunt complaining about this tours set list Jesus H Christ, we've gotten the same complaints for 13 years now and now they are finally touring a new album you complain about the new tracks they don't play?

Like I said before the tour, they are going to treat these new songs like pokemon, gotta catch them all. Where is the appreciation you actually get to hear 4 new songs from Tool live instead of the same old complaint you been spweing for years about 'same old rehashed set list'

No matter what they do, even if they offered to fellate you after the show you'd still complain because you're cunts, Tool fans are cunts and y'all are just thirsty for the six inch wrench.
Complete horseshit. Sounds like you are offering to fellate them. Fucking CCtrip does count as a "new song", Danny's been doing it for like 3 years anyways. Is it really whining to want to see them okay the new album on the tour for the new album? It's a disappointment for them to role out a set list of only 3 new songs, but for them to start rotating a 4th on and off for no reason is fucking stupid. Who the hell can afford to travel around hoping to "catch" the acceptable, good version of the show?

People are complaining because they are playing the same stupid bullshit hits despite having a new, phenomenal album. Why is this so hard to grasp? I would have had zero complaints if they played 4 actual songs every night, even if they rotated. But no, not only can Tool not release a new album properly, they can't support it with a tour properly either.
Tool played three ten minute long new songs and some of their great songs.

Why the FUCK did you go to the show?

To not hear Tool play Tool?

They are always going to play the hits, realise this next time and don't buy a ticket.
Canned audience laughter

User avatar
Kittaan
Rent Freznor
Posts: 4847
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:56 am
Location: , Location, Location!

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Kittaan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:58 am

Recurring themes are recurring.

When you set your expectations up to fail, you likely won’t be disappointed... in being disappointed.

Sucks that you didn’t enjoy the experience BoldOne, and it’s not like I don’t agree on some of your points, but see above.
Ki77aan :twisted:

User avatar
joeypants
Goderator
Posts: 1703
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:51 am

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by joeypants » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:25 am

I can in some way understand the griping. Everyone has their cherry picked things they'd really like to hear. But having lived through years and years and years of catching them on tour and also hearing the complaining (and at times being frustrated with setlists, HELLO, 2009!), I just came to accept how it is and also the fact that even in 2009, not once did I see them and walk away "disappointed." Would I have liked to have heard different things? Yes. Especially on those "rotation roulettes" where you try to check setlists and catch them on a night where you'll hear the "other song" and then you don't or WORSE, they just cut one.

But this is still hands down the greatest live band I've ever seen, each and every time. Hate it for those who were disappointed but... sometimes the whinging reaches really bratty territory. If it comes to that level, maybe don't go next time. Or do. I recommend going each and every time you can.

User avatar
Kittaan
Rent Freznor
Posts: 4847
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:56 am
Location: , Location, Location!

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Kittaan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:34 am

My one and only experience (out of 20 or so Tool gigs) of being close to disappointed was two Texas shows in 2009. But it wasn’t set list related. It was MJKs seeming disinterest in being on stage. He was disengaged and performed well under par IMO. I’ve heard similar complaints from many others on that leg. The next shows were so refreshing because he had climbed out of that hole by then. But the rest of the boys have never disappointed in any way. Even a “bad” Tool show is tits.
Ki77aan :twisted:

User avatar
joeypants
Goderator
Posts: 1703
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:51 am

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by joeypants » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:27 am

That run was a low point for them, and I'd be surprised if they didn't agree. They were "changing" the setlist only but cutting more and more songs, and that's when Maynard began a habit of skipping chunks of songs every night (see: Vicarious). Also just seemed not into it whatsoever. Rosetta Stoned was still a massive highlight for me on that leg, but that was the only time I left a show and thought "shit, I really wish I hadn't driven all the way to Atlanta for this."

But then they came back in 2010 and blew my mind wide open all over again, and have been doing so since.

User avatar
Busty McCracken
Queric
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Busty McCracken » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:18 pm

Nailed it lads. I totally get their desire to hear certain songs and gripe in the bands setlists choice but to see so much ongoing pissing and moaning about it makes ya question if they get disappointed by many things in life coz of expectations.

Before anyone says this is the grudge thread. Y'all motherfuckers been whinging about this shit in all the threads and that is my grudge. Your pissing and moaning.
Listen to All Them Witches

User avatar
hellboy
Site Admin
Posts: 11536
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Height: 182cm
Contact:

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by hellboy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:28 pm

Complaining about setlists is common among all bands really. There's no such thing as a setlist that suits everyone.

I still think they should play more new stuff than "hits" (not sure I'd consider deep cuts from Opiate and Undertow hits though). I'll be disappointed if I don't get to see Fear Inoculum, Invincible, Pneuma and Descending. And 7empest too, though I have no real expectations they will play this.

User avatar
Busty McCracken
Queric
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Busty McCracken » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:11 pm

hellboy wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:28 pm
Complaining about setlists is common among all bands really. There's no such thing as a setlist that suits everyone.

I still think they should play more new stuff than "hits" (not sure I'd consider deep cuts from Opiate and Undertow hits though). I'll be disappointed if I don't get to see Fear Inoculum, Invincible, Pneuma and Descending. And 7empest too, though I have no real expectations they will play this.
They are the 4 I'd like to see the most from the new album. 7empest is awesome but my desire to see it live isn't as strong as it is for the other 4.
Listen to All Them Witches

Wychowski
of Arimathea
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:35 am

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Wychowski » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:29 pm

Busty McCracken wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:11 pm
They are the 4 I'd like to see the most from the new album. 7empest is awesome but my desire to see it live isn't as strong as it is for the other 4.
I agree. 7empest is fun... But i'm not gagging to see it live. TBH... I'd probably trade it or FI to see them perform Lateralus again. It's been ages.

User avatar
Busty McCracken
Queric
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Busty McCracken » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:32 pm

Yeah man I've made mention plenty of times on here how weird it's gonna be seeing tool live and not hearing Lateralus. I am very looking to seeing FI , since first listen I always felt it will be an amazing opener for them.

But yeah, I'd take Lateralus over 7empest such is my love for the song.

Watch and wait to see the inevitable grudges come at us after that comment
Listen to All Them Witches

User avatar
tys0n
Lost Cosmonaut
Posts: 3321
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by tys0n » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:33 pm

You guys are fucking nuts.
Canned audience laughter

Wychowski
of Arimathea
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:35 am

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Wychowski » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:44 pm

Yeah, i'm with you, 100%. It's the perfect closer & arguably their finest piece.

haha... Indeed. Mr T is quick off the mark.

User avatar
Busty McCracken
Queric
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Busty McCracken » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:55 am

Wychowski wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:44 pm
Yeah, i'm with you, 100%. It's the perfect closer & arguably their finest piece.
If it's just you and I in the conversation there's no argument about it. That song live is something special.
Listen to All Them Witches

User avatar
tys0n
Lost Cosmonaut
Posts: 3321
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by tys0n » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:08 am

After d/r/t it's all Parabol/a for me and I hope I get that!
Canned audience laughter

User avatar
Busty McCracken
Queric
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Busty McCracken » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:26 am

Going off the set list the last few years you'd have to assume you're a solid chance mate. I just hope if they go down that route they skip the pot in favour of Parabol. Would rather hear the whole piece than just the second half of it.
Listen to All Them Witches

User avatar
Specter
Rhandy
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:29 am

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Specter » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:04 pm

Me three doors down in a whole lotta love hate love
Play em all
Over the course of a few tours.
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom

Wychowski
of Arimathea
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:35 am

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Wychowski » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:30 pm

Specter wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:04 pm
Me three doors down in a whole lotta love hate love
Play em all
Over the course of a few tours.
My drs tell me It's good to have hopes and dreams.

User avatar
tys0n
Lost Cosmonaut
Posts: 3321
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by tys0n » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:51 pm

Specter may seem crazy but we still call him Superman.
Canned audience laughter

User avatar
Specter
Rhandy
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:29 am

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Specter » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:47 am

Wychowski wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:30 pm
Specter wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:04 pm
Me three doors down in a whole lotta love hate love
Play em all
Over the course of a few tours.
My drs tell me It's good to have hopes and dreams.
My nurses tell me they’re the doctors.

You know, we’re never gonna survive unless we are a little crazee
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom

User avatar
Specter
Rhandy
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:29 am

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Specter » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:50 am

tys0n wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:51 pm
Specter may seem crazy but we still call him Superman.
If I didn’t know I was a little crazy, I’d be a little crazee.

Superman is Dead
Our Lady Peace offering plate
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom

Post Reply