The Grudge (WARNING: 26 years to #6?)

The Main Event
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: Vitriol rising)

Post by Calfium Jay »

Somebody decides to sue them over some un-credited artwork and it ends up taking 7 years and costing millions and millions of dollars?!?! And due to the "stress" of the lawsuit, they manage to complete ONE (yeah you heard right....ONE!!) new song in nearly 5 years locked away in the loft working on new material. What a joke. It's obvious they've lost their nerve or their mojo or whatever and this whole "lawsuit" shinola is being used as a ruse to deter fans away from what is really stinking up the garbage here.

They've become nothing more than a sadass cover version of themselves (a bit like the recent Black Sabbath hoopla) pumping out the same shit to the same dedicated few year after year after year after year.

Congratulations on becoming the new Guns N Roses, guys.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

pumping out the same shit to the same dedicated few year after year after year after year.
If only that were actually true. They haven't pumped out any shit in years.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Calfium Jay wrote:Somebody decides to sue them over some un-credited artwork and it ends up taking 7 years and costing millions and millions of dollars?!?!
Great excuse to use when they tour again.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Calfium Jay wrote:They've become nothing more than a sadass cover version of themselves (a bit like the recent Black Sabbath hoopla)
Except Sabbath did manage to excrete an album recently....
Ki77aan :twisted:
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Calfium Jay wrote:Somebody decides to sue them over some un-credited artwork and it ends up taking 7 years and costing millions and millions of dollars?!?! And due to the "stress" of the lawsuit, they manage to complete ONE (yeah you heard right....ONE!!) new song in nearly 5 years locked away in the loft working on new material. What a joke. It's obvious they've lost their nerve or their mojo or whatever and this whole "lawsuit" shinola is being used as a ruse to deter fans away from what is really stinking up the garbage here.

They've become nothing more than a sadass cover version of themselves (a bit like the recent Black Sabbath hoopla) pumping out the same shit to the same dedicated few year after year after year after year.

Congratulations on becoming the new Guns N Roses, guys.
There's a good chance that Jones is just secretly fucking pissed at everyone. They've all moved on to do what amounts to way more than he has done in the past seven years, musically.

I'm pretty sure he made some butthurt comment when The Nard first started his PUSCIFER stuff. Something along the lines of "it was a bit weird when he went off, because we were like we still want to play" or something to that effect.

I don't know, I don't think that interview painted Jones in a particularly good light. It didn't make him seem like a dick either, but I definitely got some weird vibes from it.

I just want them to cut the bullshit and commit to something other than cash-ins for a change. And seriously, if they keep getting legally fucked the way they apparently have been over the years, it might be time to find a decent lawyer when you make the big decisions.

The Nard's tell-all book in fifteen years is going to be fucking hilarious.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

So are they being "legally fucked over" or are they using it as an excuse? From what I can tell Tool have been involved in 3 legal cases. For a band that size, I don't imagine that it's a significant amount of legal trouble. I think Tool's "problem" is that they tend to keep it in house, rather than isolate themselves from the issue.

Maybe not the best way of doing it, but hard to argue with a band that have been together for so long and release good, though not very much material.
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

This whole lawsuit business sounds a bit rich.

Adam has used this excuse in the past time and time again. Never mentioned the Alex Grey accident because that excuse didn't sit well.

Just be honest and say you've run out of ideas.

But whatever..
Last edited by doors on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Do you know what pretentious means?
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Maybe Adam should ditch his brother, screams of nepotism.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

doors wrote:This whole lawsuit business sounds a bit rich.

Adam has used this excuse in the past time and time again. Never mentioned the Alex Grey accident because that excuse didn't sit well.

Just be honest and say you've run out of ideas.

But whatever..
Mostly this.

But at the end of the day, who really gives a fuck. They're almost at has-been level.

If this forum was called any other name, with any other band as a singular focus, I would rarely even think about the band.
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Yes, there are good people on this forum.

I've become indifferent about this band but sometimes they say stuff that..ah forget it.
Last edited by doors on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

doors wrote:^
Yes, just thinking about all that has happened in the last decade or so hurts my brain.
Fuck, just think of where we all were when TOOL's last album came out . . .

Since then, I've lived in two different countries, had four very serious relationships, been to over ten countries, and spent thousands of dollars on booze.

In the time between the last MELVINS album and the one before it, I've managed to have a bowl of cereal, a shower, and put on some cologne that I think might just get that cute chick who sits across from me to smile at me - just a little.
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Sorry I've changed my post..

I like your perspective on things - it keeps it positive and personal.

Sounds like you've had the time of your life.

I've had 3 serious relationships, been to 8 countries, completed a postgraduate degree, quit smoking and had 1 career change. Not bad for 8 years. :?
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

This thread is depressing
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

doors wrote:Just be honest and say you've run out of ideas.
They might be trotting out excuses, some good, some bad, most unnecessary, but I doubt they would bother continuing if they were genuinely out of ideas.
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

^
Don't they have to release one more album before they can opt out of their record deal/label?

I heard someone say that their independent now. Who knows?

They probably have no other choice but to release an album, unless they want another lawsuit.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

There is speculation that there is one more album on their record deal, but I've never heard that confirmed anywhere.

Worst case for them is if they don't do another album, they either lose money or put out a greatest hits or live album.

They may as well be an indie band though. I doubt they get much mileage from being on a major label anyway. As a band with a cult following, they pretty much sell themselves these days.
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Worst case for them is if they don't do another album, they either lose money or put out a greatest hits or live album.

:o

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

I'd be happy if they released a live album, from 2001 or 2002 of course.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

I honestly don't care if I ever hear another Tool record or read another update about the supposed new record. I don't even have interest to see them live anymore. My summer shows I am attending in the next couple months are NIN, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam. I have a feeling of exhilaration to see these 3 bands, which I haven't had with Tool since the Lateralus/Aenima tours. There was a time back in 97-02 that I would not even compare another live act to Tool. I don't even consider Tool a top 10 act anymore. After seeing Tool numerous times since the release of 10K Days, I can't spend another dime on this band and watch them fucking mail it in. Pearl Jam is my favorite live act. They have garnered my respect by treating their fans appropriately and changing up their set list every night. PJ openly acknowledges that they would not be where they are at without the fans, and they gladly show their appreciation. I can't stand AJ's pompous attitude towards Tool fans. This new RS article just accentuates his holier than thou attitude. Stupid cunt.
I think I would actually be butt hurt about this new update if I was waiting 8 + years for a follow-up to Lateralus. If I didn't hear the rehashed and rushed 10,000 Days, I would probably be up in arms about this delay. If I didn't hear similarities to previous songs in the "new material" segues from the last few cash grab tours, I might be excited for a new album. I've lost that loving feeling. Now it's gone. I expect a decent album when it finally does come out. Probably on par with their last one. Nothing spectacular. I will probably go and see them live whenever it is released. I expect to see 3 or 4 new songs, plus Vicarious, Jambi, 46&2, Stinkfist, Aenima, Schism, and Lateralus. I just can't expect great things out of this band anymore.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

[youtube][/youtube]
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Bill Hilly wrote:I honestly don't care if I ever hear another Tool record or read another update about the supposed new record. I don't even have interest to see them live anymore. My summer shows I am attending in the next couple months are NIN, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam. I have a feeling of exhilaration to see these 3 bands, which I haven't had with Tool since the Lateralus/Aenima tours. There was a time back in 97-02 that I would not even compare another live act to Tool. I don't even consider Tool a top 10 act anymore. After seeing Tool numerous times since the release of 10K Days, I can't spend another dime on this band and watch them fucking mail it in. Pearl Jam is my favorite live act. They have garnered my respect by treating their fans appropriately and changing up their set list every night. PJ openly acknowledges that they would not be where they are at without the fans, and they gladly show their appreciation. I can't stand AJ's pompous attitude towards Tool fans. This new RS article just accentuates his holier than thou attitude. Stupid cunt.
I think I would actually be butt hurt about this new update if I was waiting 8 + years for a follow-up to Lateralus. If I didn't hear the rehashed and rushed 10,000 Days, I would probably be up in arms about this delay. If I didn't hear similarities to previous songs in the "new material" segues from the last few cash grab tours, I might be excited for a new album. I've lost that loving feeling. Now it's gone. I expect a decent album when it finally does come out. Probably on par with their last one. Nothing spectacular. I will probably go and see them live whenever it is released. I expect to see 3 or 4 new songs, plus Vicarious, Jambi, 46&2, Stinkfist, Aenima, Schism, and Lateralus. I just can't expect great things out of this band anymore.
I so badly want to give your oral sex right now that it's making me uncomfortable to NOT have my lips around your penis.

Bonus points if you've actually been a woman this entire time.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
So much for getting to know someone....
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

The Boss wrote:
I so badly want to give your oral sex right now that it's making me uncomfortable to NOT have my lips around your penis.

Bonus points if you've actually been a woman this entire time.
You're in luck. I do accept oral sex on my penis. Sorry, no bonus points at this time.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy