Questions for Adam

The Main Event
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Questions for Adam

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote:ARE YOU FAR ENOUGH INTO THE WRITING PROCESS THAT YOU CAN REALISTICALLY CONCEIVE OF RECORDING THE NEW ALBUM AT SOME POINT LATER IN 2014?!?!?!

Seems like the most logical question of all.

If I had just shelled $500 for a Q&A with ol' Lazy Bones then I'd seriously GRILL the fucker. Throw me out who gives a fuck, but I know the first sentence that would pass my lips as soon as we were face to face.

"Adam, ARE you far enough into the writing process to record this year?"
I agree it's a good question but....

Calfium Jay wrote: "Why did Danny report last August that the album would be released early 2014 when you are seemingly not even close to recording yet?"
...why would they want to give an answer with any kind of date attached to it when it's just going to be thrown back at them like this. Danny was being overly optimistic. There's no conspiracy here.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

There's no way this album will be any good. The hype already is insane, and it's not even written yet.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Calfium Jay wrote:ARE YOU FAR ENOUGH INTO THE WRITING PROCESS THAT YOU CAN REALISTICALLY CONCEIVE OF RECORDING THE NEW ALBUM AT SOME POINT LATER IN 2014?!?!?!

Seems like the most logical question of all.

If I had just shelled $500 for a Q&A with ol' Lazy Bones then I'd seriously GRILL the fucker. Throw me out who gives a fuck, but I know the first sentence that would pass my lips as soon as we were face to face.

"Adam, ARE you far enough into the writing process to record this year?"

Then:

"What major hurdles have you encountered since you first began the process some four years ago?"

"During the past four years were there long periods where seemingly nothing was getting accomplished and what did you do to overcome this"

"Can you give us a little taster of what is to come next year when we finally get to hear the damn thing? Heavier? Proggier? More complex? More straight forward? More experimental? Similar to the last album or in a totally different direction? "

"Did you ever consider just throwing in the towel?"

"How many songs are finished?"

"Has Maynard begun working on the lyrics yet?"

"Why did Danny report last August that the album would be released early 2014 when you are seemingly not even close to recording yet?"
Agreed. I love tool but I'd grill them too. It's not like they're asshole questions. They are all valid question. I want to know the answers to that too. Even if the answer is "well were lazy and just haven't really put our minds to it" I would be ok with that. At least it's honest lol
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

He could say something like:

"It's not 100% done - obviously that's a joke. But we have around 10 new pieces we're working on and 7 are more or less there. The other three are in various stages but we're reasonably confident that we're no more than 3 - 4 months off finishing. All things considered. I think it's likely that the album will be recorded and mixed by November."

"We're going in a slightly more experimental direction this time round, so expect the unexpected. We're trying to push the sound into new areas that we haven't really explored before and so it's been a case of testing what works and what doesn't. But it's been really exciting I can't wait til you guys hear it. I'm thinking that you'll have a copy by this time next year".

Or something.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

"It's probably the best thing we've ever done"

Said every band ever prior to a new release.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

That's right up there with:

"We're going in a new direction."

"The fans will be pleasantly surprised."

"We really dug deep to write this one."

"We're looking forward to sharing it with you all."
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Mostly the window lickers are the ones splurging $500 for the VIP. That's why the common sense questions are not being asked.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Let me remind you guys there is a Grudge thread for Tool and fan trolling. Let's keep the discussion in this thread on topic.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

xZ1mM3r wrote:"Adam, ARE you far enough into the writing process to record this year?" "Sure."

Then:

"What major hurdles have you encountered since you first began the process some four years ago?" "None."

"During the past four years were there long periods where seemingly nothing was getting accomplished and what did you do to overcome this" "No...so...no."

"Can you give us a little taster of what is to come next year when we finally get to hear the damn thing? Heavier? Proggier? More complex? More straight forward? More experimental? Similar to the last album or in a totally different direction? " "Hmmm. Not really..."

"Did you ever consider just throwing in the towel?" "Hmm...no...not really..."

"How many songs are finished?" "It's hard to say..."

"Has Maynard begun working on the lyrics yet?" "No, he's being lazy..." *chuckles*

"Why did Danny report last August that the album would be released early 2014 when you are seemingly not even close to recording yet?" "Tequila, probably!" *laughs, thanks crowd for the money (is NOT kidding) and exits room left.*
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Fuck new album questions. I want to know:

Why only one 10k days video? Will The Pot even see the light of day? Is it still for the video for that song?
Is the movie idea still just talk? Was there ever a concept in mind?
Live DVD gone bust, any other special releases with unheard material being kicked around?
Who have you not toured with that you would like to, realistically or not?
Any future plans for comics?
Have your oil painting escapades influenced any ideas for future packaging?
Since Danny jammed with Matt Stone, when will you guys guest star on South Park?
Ahhh, Infotainment!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Word is Kanaduh has a complete recording of the last Q&A session, so stay tuned!
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Why isn't anyone asking about Noiseland Arcade?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

hellboy wrote:Word is Kanaduh has a complete recording of the last Q&A session, so stay tuned!
Here it is:

http://www.fourtheye.net/2014/03/adam-j ... recording/
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

SWEET!
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

uh - Adam Jones
trustinmeandfall
My pain is just an excuse

Post by trustinmeandfall »

nice recording, thanks Kanaduh!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Haha, Kanaduh buying everyone else a REALLY thorough pat-down for the rest of the VIP sessions.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

It's really awesome that Adam is doing these though. I'm sure it's not always easy to take that time every single show while you're on tour. I had no idea the Q&A is almost two hours.
bonebroke
Geacon

Post by bonebroke »

trustinmeandfall wrote:nice recording, thanks Kanaduh!
Thanks, Kanaduh.
Really interesting.
I'm hearing the same things on this 3/12 session Kittaan was telling me about for the 3/11, re: set lists other stuff.

(xxx... and their money issues. Shame. TOOL, smart, stable human beings, phew)

Talking about not wanting to reveal necessarily what the song's 'meaning' is.
It means one thing to one person and another thing to someone else.
How one interprets the sounds, lyrics, it's so personal, and can be slight or great in difference. And yet it draws us all together and we rock out in a hall for a few hours.
Music, good stuff!

Do they wear ear plugs on stage?
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

hellboy wrote: Here it is:
Interesting.

Anyone know any more on the lawsuit Adam talked about that's been going on for 7 years?

That new riff he played was pretty sick. What did he say... hammering 5 & 7, playing in 4?
Professor of Lesbian Science
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

basejumper wrote:
Interesting.

Anyone know any more on the lawsuit Adam talked about that's been going on for 7 years?

That new riff he played was pretty sick. What did he say... hammering 5 & 7, playing in 4?
yeah but i think right before he played he said "this isnt anything new dont get excited, well its new for you i guess"
iloveposters
Geacon

Post by iloveposters »

basejumper wrote:
Interesting.

I think the lawsuit he is talking about may be about the artist cam de leon i think who was suing them over TOOL using his art or something like that...I'm not sure, Im just taking a big guess...pure speculation
5/20/2001 - NYC, NY
9/22/2001 - Hartford, CT
8/12/2002 - Trenton, NJ
5/20/2006 - NYC, NY
9/28/2006 - Camden, NJ
10/5/2006 - Hartford, CT
10/6/2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
10/7/2006 - Uniondale, NY
8/1/2009 - Jersey City, NY
1/31/2012 - Uncasville, CT
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Wow, listening to that soundcheck and Vicarious... and someone is playing harmonies on that part right before the "Vicariously, I..." section. Given that Maynard isn't there I can only assume Adam plays that with his feet on the Taurus? If so that's pretty impressive multi-tasking for that section.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I found the part regarding Paul leaving the band (seems to go against other reports that he was fired) and how Justin was brought into the fold quite interesting.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Clips have been removed at the bands request. Hope those who wanted to listen were able to do so...