Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
bob
Toast

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by bob »

they have never played an entire album live before. kinda thinking that wont happen but the more they play that hasnt been played a thousand times im all for. screw new fans wanting 'the hits!' :S

cant predict any songs. let me hear the other new first!
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

Please no "playing the whole album in sequence"-tour. That's 80-90 minutes of knowing what will happen next and very little surprises. I've found myself bored after a while during every "full album"-show I've been to, regardless of the band (and in some cases I thought the band seemed bored themselves). Play all the new songs - cool! But mix up the set with older/varing songs in between, not just an encore of 2-3 classics.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Grinspoons guide to better living 20th anniversary front to back followed by the hits was thoroughly enjoyable
Listen to All Them Witches
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

If you're going to a "playing the whole album in sequence"-tour and expect surprises then you're kinda simple.

"Dude, they said they'd play the whole album in full, why the fuck are they playing the whole album in full, where is my surprises?"
Canned audience laughter
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Busty McCracken wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:33 am Grinspoons guide to better living 20th anniversary front to back followed by the hits was thoroughly enjoyable
They are doing a "Chemical Hearts" tour later this year.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Cringespoon
Canned audience laughter
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Say what you will but they put on great shows.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Great live band! And yeh Liz I saw that, bastards aren't coming up this way though. As long as it's a great album front to back I enjoy those shows. If I don't love the album they're a bit hit n miss as to be expected
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

Soooo do you guys think their could be an announcement at tonight’s show. This being the last Venue show and seeing they announced the release date on their first venue show
All well Whatever, Nevermind
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Shed523 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:56 am Soooo do you guys think their could be an announcement at tonight’s show. This being the last Venue show and seeing they announced the release date on their first venue show
I mentioned the possibility in Discord yesterday. I'm not holding my breath, but would be an interesting kinda symmetry
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Funny how for years everyone complained about Tool just playing a greatest hits setlist every tour. Now with a new album on the horizon people are complaining about the IDEA of them only playing new music. We know nothing about their next tour and people are already complaining about pure speculation.

I see why Maynard thinks fans are insufferable :lol:

FANS: "Play something new!!"
TOOL: *plays full setlist of new music*
FANS: "play the old stuff!"
PulsedHalo
Has been

Post by PulsedHalo »

Lol...seriously. If they played the full album I would not mind at all. I remember when Lateralus came out they played most of the album live in 2001 and 2002. It was awesome. Maybe not in sequential order but most of the songs were definitely played.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:05 am Funny how for years everyone complained about Tool just playing a greatest hits setlist every tour. Now with a new album on the horizon people are complaining about the IDEA of them only playing new music. We know nothing about their next tour and people are already complaining about pure speculation.

I see why Maynard thinks fans are insufferable :lol:

FANS: "Play something new!!"
TOOL: *plays full setlist of new music*
FANS: "play the old stuff!"
I am really hoping they play the new album in its entirety. Maybe a two song encore, OG Genesis Lamb style.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

thekillingjoke wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:48 am Please no "playing the whole album in sequence"-tour. That's 80-90 minutes of knowing what will happen next and very little surprises. I've found myself bored after a while during every "full album"-show I've been to, regardless of the band (and in some cases I thought the band seemed bored themselves). Play all the new songs - cool! But mix up the set with older/varing songs in between, not just an encore of 2-3 classics.
When was the last time Tool had any surprises in their set? I'm not talking about swapping one song from show to show either.

You might want to disconnect from the internet when this next tour starts up if you don't want to be bored from the lack of surprises.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
_peterpwn
Has been

Post by _peterpwn »

good vibes this movie

thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

The Lateralus era setlists were great! I'm fine with the band playing every new song of course, including the "Danny listening to call-in radio shows" or "Maynard squeezing his cat"-bits. It's just the in sequence-thing that generally bums me out.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Bill Hilly wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:51 am
thekillingjoke wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:48 am Please no "playing the whole album in sequence"-tour. That's 80-90 minutes of knowing what will happen next and very little surprises. I've found myself bored after a while during every "full album"-show I've been to, regardless of the band (and in some cases I thought the band seemed bored themselves). Play all the new songs - cool! But mix up the set with older/varing songs in between, not just an encore of 2-3 classics.
When was the last time Tool had any surprises in their set? I'm not talking about swapping one song from show to show either.

You might want to disconnect from the internet when this next tour starts up if you don't want to be bored from the lack of surprises.
Eulogy was a massive surprise! Shame they only did it once though. Man if they play that in Sydney I'll be one happy man. But what was that a few years ago and oh, part of me a month ago.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

I think this is going to be the best old-man rock album of all time.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

I still hope (and dont believe a single moment) that they'll include a random Soundgarden cover.

I would die to hear either Tool playing Soundgarden or Soundgarden plaing Tool. Unfortunatly both
seems impossible.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

they played eulogy at soundcheck 2017.....just no maynard.
go taff!
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

I presume nothing worth noting from the show tonight?

Onto the holiday!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Bill Hilly wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:51 am

In fairness, I was surprised when they added two unreleased songs to the setlist. But I broadly accept your point
NowhereFaded
Bronco's Fan

Post by NowhereFaded »

budsyralli wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:24 pm they played eulogy at soundcheck 2017.....just no maynard.
Was blessed to attend the Gorge wa VIPexperience and can confirm they played Euolgy at soundcheck for us mere
Mortals.

BTW any word on VIP tickets being available on the next us tour?
I highly recommend it !! Best money I ever spent (:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

NowhereFaded wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:48 pm Was blessed to attend the Gorge wa VIPexperience and can confirm they played Euolgy at soundcheck for us mere
Mortals.
Eulogy is sound checked pretty regularly. I remember they also used this for the soundcheck at the SIdney Myer Music Bowl show in Melb back in 2011. I didn't get played during the actual set. I've read numerous reports of it being sound checked at other times as well, but only remember it being actually played once anytime since 2007
NowhereFaded wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:48 pm BTW any word on VIP tickets being available on the next us tour?
I highly recommend it !! Best money I ever spent (:
Was a little surprised we didn't on the last tour. I'm sure VIPs will be back at some point.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

TOOL played Eulogy only once on their small set of shows in October 2017... Somewhere in Pennsylvania I think.

Last night's show in Lisbon was incredibly impressive. The band was once again very tight or on point but there was just a great vibe in the arena. Extended versions of both Schism and Stinkfist and CCTrip seemed to be fleshed out a little more too.

Maynard said something at the end like "Thank you very much. This worked out well. This is one of our favourite places so it's good to see you again" etc. He then did the "You can take out your iPhones" bit. They also flashed up the August 30th graphic that obviously received a massive cheer.

Adam's guitar cut out towards the end of Stinkfist but they managed to keep the song going while he got another... Crowd cheered when he started playing again.

Overall though, it was one the best TOOL shows I've ever seen so I am very excited about them starting up again in October...