Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Bill Hilly »

Meh,

At this point none of us are clinging on to little pieces of nothing. I'm also glad to see Mog posting on the Tool boards again. I actually took down his quote from my signature this morning right before he posted. But I do agree with a lot of what he says.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Busty McCracken wrote:I'm with Mog and kinda wish Mog of yesteryear was still around to give us all an almighty and well deserved I told you so to all of us... fairly confident if someone was arsed to scroll through the forums they'd find a quote from him saying something along the lines of "I wouldn't be surprised if in 2017 Tool is still teasing you all with half empty promises and everyone is clinging on to little pieces of nothing"..

And here we are, 2017 an ambiguous video and everyones getting excited... i aint mad, they can do what they want and I hope that one day this album will see the light of day but i said many years ago until I see an official release date I refuse to be excited by any ambiguous information they release.
i agree with this. But to be fair, its not JUST an ambiguous video from Adam showing misc musical equipment. Part of this is Blair saying that the band is working in a different/larger space than the loft AND "MAYNARD is working on VOCALS for some of the new Tool material. I'm sure that he has already been doing this to some extent, but now he has more room to breathe and a better vocal booth."

Thats a little more concrete than a random instagram video.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I'm not overly excited yet - this doesn't really show any progress further than I expect and we're still a long way off. My news was unrelated to Maynard though, and I still can't/won't say anything about it (I'm not sure that I ever will).
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I see no reason to get excited either, but I am still interested in hearing any updates. I refuse to get my hopes up because it's just been too long and too many disappointments over the last decade.

I'm glad Moggie has taken a more reasonable approach, but he wasn't too far off in his predictions as Busty pointed out.

I am still hopeful for Tool V eventually, but like a good wine, it will not be here until it's time.
Ki77aan :twisted:
LeoMonzo
Bronco's Fan

Post by LeoMonzo »

Good to know there's some progress ... still it feels like watching a snail race, it will be better to look around somewhere else while this race to a new album ends, then we can come back, look and enjoy. :)
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Compared to everything else the last 11 years them saying "May Jay is writing lyrics" is a huge bombshell.

Of course it doesn't mean anything is imminent but I'm not gonna give anyone shit for getting excited. This is a Tool FAN forum you Debbie downers.
Hey! Denty!
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

I can understand some of your pessimism, but in my mind this huuuge and bigly. You guys are building emotional Tool walls and not getting your hopes up(SAD), but Blair just confirmed that Maynard is doing vocals for actual music. They have been saying once Maynard gets his mouth around music it's a fast process after that.

Honestly trying to not get my hopes up as well. I am trying to calm my hype. I still can't believe after 5 years ago of thinking the album was almost ready, I am still excited and check on this site everyday. I have just been paying attention to politics so much the last few months and being newly divorced and football season is over, I have been watching a lot of news and podcasts about news, and comedy shows about news. I am just excited to read that lyrics are being created finally! Praise the flying spaghetti monster!
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

I don't think any of us are being debbie downers. We're just not on the omgshitballzzombieapocalypseanalfissurethealbumisnearfinallygofuckyourselfdoubters level yet. 11 years is a long fucking time. It's good news though! I'm still optimistic for a 2018 release.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Not gonna lie, I missed the whole Maynard working on vocals post on the previous page so was thinking everyone was getting excited over that video Adam took. Can see the reason behind the optimism now, my bad.

I'll still stand by my I refuse to get excited until I see an official release date thing but praise the flying spaghetti monster indeed. At least its a step in the right direction but like Mog mentioned, be careful to trust the suckers too much. Didnt Danny Carey say the new album was close about 6 years ago??
Listen to All Them Witches
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Maynard is seriously Mike Patton busy right now. That needs to be taken into account with a prospective timeline. Not to mention the fact that there is no guarantee that the other 3 have completed writing/arranging. Also, whatever Hellboy keeps hinting at makes me believe that recording is not imminent.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Let me also add that Danny is notoriously unreliable when to comes to commenting on new album progress...
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Ravenpig wrote:Compared to everything else the last 11 years them saying "May Jay is writing lyrics" is a huge bombshell.

Of course it doesn't mean anything is imminent but I'm not gonna give anyone shit for getting excited. This is a Tool FAN forum you Debbie downers.
I don't see anyone speaking in a negative way about anyone who finds this news exciting. I simply expressed that the news means nothing to me at this point because we have been at "soon" for a very long time. If today's news brings you happiness than I think that is fantastic. I do not believe anything that comes out of the Tool camp after all this time. Moreover, I would think Hellboy's lack of enthusiasm would be more telling at this point. Granted he can't say anything about whatever he heard, but I would imagine if there was a real reason to be legitimately excited Hellboy wouldn't be recommending continued patience and cautious optimism.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Hellboy could have heard great news about something in the tool world that is not related to a new album. He might be making assumptions about the recording process just as we are because the news he heard is unrelated.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Let's just all agree on the fact that getting an update from Blair that Maynard is with the band is good news. It's also a good sign that Adam posted a recent video in this new space that the 4 of them are in. We can't really draw any further conclusions from that until some official announcement is made. By the appearance of things, we will be notified when the time comes. IMO we haven't been notified yet.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Sweet baby jesus, gears are turning
also, Avatar!
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

2 years ago....from the February 2015 newsletter:

Now that these other things have been put to rest, let’s see about any current news. The first item would be that the members of the band will be taking a break from their writing/arranging sessions next week WHILE Aaron Harris (“ISIS”, PALMS”) sets up an area in the Loft for Maynard to be able to work on vocal melodies as the others play (loudly) their completed tunes. In that there is a lot of equipment to be moved and reorganized, it will take at least a few days to set up Maynard’s ‘station’ in the adjoining room. Admittedly, this is exciting news, but let’s not jump to any conclusions just yet…
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

aenimal wrote:2 years ago....from the February 2015 newsletter:

Now that these other things have been put to rest, let’s see about any current news. The first item would be that the members of the band will be taking a break from their writing/arranging sessions next week WHILE Aaron Harris (“ISIS”, PALMS”) sets up an area in the Loft for Maynard to be able to work on vocal melodies as the others play (loudly) their completed tunes. In that there is a lot of equipment to be moved and reorganized, it will take at least a few days to set up Maynard’s ‘station’ in the adjoining room. Admittedly, this is exciting news, but let’s not jump to any conclusions just yet…
Not entirely sure what you may be trying to suggest with the above quote, but clearly these things take time. Also...
junior wrote:I think they temporarily relocated, possibly so some repairs/remodeling could be done at The Loft, or just to get out of there for a while.
Based on news updates regarding prior albums, I think we'll know when they're actually in the process of recording, mastering, and when to expect a release.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

nxrm wrote:
Based on news updates regarding prior albums, I think we'll know when they're actually in the process of recording, mastering, and when to expect a release.
Yep, I've said before that I don't expect it'll be a big secret when Tool start recording. If nothing else I'd expect Danny would be pretty chuffed when it happens and will be telling all and sundry at the Baked Potato.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

hellboy wrote:If nothing else I'd expect Danny would be pretty chuffed when it happens and will be telling all and sundry at the Baked Potato.
No doubt! Good things on the horizon indeed.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:
Ravenpig wrote:Compared to everything else the last 11 years them saying "May Jay is writing lyrics" is a huge bombshell.

I don't see anyone speaking in a negative way about anyone who finds this news exciting. I simply expressed that the news means nothing to me at this point because we have been at "soon" for a very long time. If today's news brings you happiness than I think that is fantastic. I do not believe anything that comes out of the Tool camp after all this time. Moreover, I would think Hellboy's lack of enthusiasm would be more telling at this point. Granted he can't say anything about whatever he heard, but I would imagine if there was a real reason to be legitimately excited Hellboy wouldn't be recommending continued patience and cautious optimism.
Hey Mog.

Honestly I didn't read your post so this wasn't directed at you. Maybe you're right that there weren't any strictly "negative" posts but there were a few "yea but" posts.

I get it and I don't necessarily disagree with those. All I'm saying is what I said there.

My personal reaction to reading the news was, "Hey, how about that? Cool." That's about it.
Hey! Denty!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

nxrm wrote:

Not entirely sure what you may be trying to suggest with the above quote, but clearly these things take time. Also...
junior wrote:I think they temporarily relocated, possibly so some repairs/remodeling could be done at The Loft, or just to get out of there for a while.
Fairly sure he's suggesting 2 years ago that Blaire stated that Maynard was going to be doing vocals while the band played music and here we are 2 years later with the same info. I understand people getting excited and hopefully a new album is released within 12 months.

It may well turn out that way but just as likely in 2 years we may hear that maynard is in the loft doing vocals also.. their mysterious shtick has grown old for some of us is all.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

After nearly 12 years of waiting, and jumping on every little piece of news... watching this forum, this thread, light up it is exciting because we are all having a chat about the possibilities of something new. I agree 100% that by now all of us take every bit of news with a grain of salt, but it is really cool to see all the people that contribute to this forum all have a chat (I know I am a relative newbie), but it is cool none the less.... It is also super cool to finally get some sweet news that MJK is doing vocals, after all of the interviews and podcasts where he says "If I don't have music, I can't write lyrics".... and Blair says "I'm sure that he has already been doing this to some extent".... Cheers guys this is good we should be happy and positive, because why not....
Be good to each other.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

It is kinda good to actually see this place talking about the band which is the reason we're all here, I'll give ya that.

Have been a lurker, somewhat poster for a 7 odd years now, is gonna be mega weird to see this place actually talking in depth about new Tool music if / when that happens.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

I visit this forum daily and have for years now. I still get excited about tool music and news about a new album. I'm excited for any news we get, even if it leads nowhere
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

Busty McCracken wrote:
nxrm wrote:

Fairly sure he's suggesting 2 years ago that Blaire stated that Maynard was going to be doing vocals while the band played music and here we are 2 years later with the same info. I understand people getting excited and hopefully a new album is released within 12 months.

It may well turn out that way but just as likely in 2 years we may hear that maynard is in the loft doing vocals also.. their mysterious shtick has grown old for some of us is all.
Bingo. And I've never bought it when it's implied that MJK hasn't been writing lyrics all these years....I realize he can't finalize his contributions until the others finalize theirs, but I'm sure he's been working on whatever he can as it becomes available.