Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by xZ1mM3r »

THEORY!!!!

Recently a video was posted to Adams instagram page.... see below for ToolArchives breakdown.
[youtube][/youtube]

The style in which it is recorded, if you take out the high speed, is very similar to these videos posted years ago by Maynard, on pusciferdotcom youtube page; which has been used by Maynard for a long time.

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

The video zooms in on random objects and moves around the studio space in a very similar fashion to the 'Tool effing tool' videos... Obviously it is not conclusive evidence of anything, but it leads me to believe that Maynard was the one who actually recorded the video which was posted to Adams instagram page, meaning MJK was in the loft jamming/recording/etc. Doesnt mean much even if its true, but it interesting to me.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Kittaan wrote:It was revealed on TA, at least once. Some people took clues like restaurants and other references Blair and band members made on the block it's on and correlated it. I remember a Google maps screenshot with it being circled.

I never went by, but I would love to get an invite some day.
I did something similar but with much MUCH more accuracy, and without match up clues from newsletters. When i said im pretty confident i found it, what i meant was i definitely found it hah
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

xZ1mM3r wrote:The video zooms in on random objects and moves around the studio space in a very similar fashion to the 'Tool effing tool' videos... Obviously it is not conclusive evidence of anything, but it leads me to believe that Maynard was the one who actually recorded the video which was posted to Adams instagram page, meaning MJK was in the loft jamming/recording/etc. Doesnt mean much even if its true, but it interesting to me.
We've known since the February 16th post that Maynard's been working with the band on new material. Blair posted an update about this on Toolband.com. They're not in "The Loft" though. As Blair stated: "In speaking with Danny last night, he told me that the band has temporarily MOVED some of their gear into a larger space (across town) where MAYNARD is working on VOCALS for some of the new Tool material. I'm sure that he has already been doing this to some extent, but now he has more room to breathe and a better vocal booth."

And, stay away from The Loft you stalker. :)
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Btw guys the March Newsletter is currently out and about the next tour.... albeit 'work in progress'

Thats another month out the way!
Deftones!
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

earthrocker wrote:Btw guys the March Newsletter is currently out and about the next tour.... albeit 'work in progress'

Thats another month out the way!
Thanks for the heads up on the March Newsletter!
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

Actually did alright with tour tickets. Seemed like they got the bot situation under control a tiny bit. Last Januarys tour was a nightmare. Excited for a Chicago show, its been Way too long. Got a nice 100 level seat right behind Junior for optimum sound!

They should do a standard two song change, seems to be the reg for different years tour. Still wish they would change more, but they have been good about throwing in great songs I never thought id hear. Also hoping they switch out Descending, its cool and great, but everyone has heard it a dozen times. Lets hear another new little jam! If not a whole song! Bring Rosetta Stoned back!

Have they ever played Maynards Dick live? That would be something. I must say its their catchiest tune.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

Capt. Shipwreck wrote: Got a nice 100 level seat right behind Junior for optimum sound!

Have they ever played Maynards Dick live? That would be something. I must say its their catchiest tune.
Hopefully slightly higher and not directly behind us, since the laser platform would block your stage view. They tend not to sell the obstructed seats.

I don't recall them playing that catchy tune in my time (the past 20.5 years), but I'd heard it in soundcheck some time ago.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

xZ1mM3r wrote:I was curious where exactly "The Loft" was located... I did a deep dive on the internet and I'm pretty confident I found it. Although its hard to tell from the outside because it looks like nothing. During my search I came across a reddit post of people wondering the same thing, and HB actually had commented that its best if its not common knowledge. So i wont be posting the address or anything. Just interesting to see the building where all of my favorite songs were written :)
Yeah, best keep specifics off line, though I'm aware of many that know the address. It's been hinted at in Tool newsletters as well. It's a rather non-descript building (at least from Google Street view anyway, since I've never been there in person). Funnily enough they don't have a big flashing "Tool Loft" neon sign on the outside :(
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

I do wonder how long they'll actually hang on to The Loft though. With Danny's new place in Malibu, he's now closer to Adam and Justin. Assuming it's his primary residence and that he sold his house in Hollywood, it seems like it would make more sense to find a new place to practice/rehearse near home. Not sure how practical that is, but even on a good day a drive from Malibu into Hollywood is nothing to look forward to.

I think it's safe to assume that The Loft will cease being part of the Tool world at some point in the future, unless it's turned into a museum or shrine for Toolgrimages. I can see it now, a Tool tour bus dedicated to pointing out historical points of interest throughout Los Angeles: The Tool Loft is down that alley. Up the street is where Danny Carey used to live. There's Maynard's old Hollywood Hills home, and this is where the Knitting Factory used to be: many a Volto shows took place here. We'll drive up here to have a look at the home where Adam Jones' used to live before he moved to Malibu. Continuing on, here's the Baked Potato, there's where La Ve Lee used to be (another former Volto hang out). Up ahead is the Pet Store where Maynard worked when he first moved to Los Angeles, and we'll soon be driving by Blair's old apartment where he lived before moving to Las Vegas. :D
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Hopefully slightly higher and not directly behind us, since the laser platform would block your stage view. They tend not to sell the obstructed seats.

I don't recall them playing that catchy tune in my time (the past 20.5 years), but I'd heard it in soundcheck some time ago.[/quote]

No, not directly behind! It's nice to know a song like that is still on the radar somewhere, soundcheck or not! Junior how far in advance do you get a set list to play around with? Just a curiosity.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

Capt. Shipwreck wrote: No, not directly behind! It's nice to know a song like that is still on the radar somewhere, soundcheck or not! Junior how far in advance do you get a set list to play around with? Just a curiosity.
Sometimes it's a few hours before the show. There were times years ago that it was minutes before the show, but that's become less common.
Generally, when starting a tour we'll see a rough guess of a list (in no particular order) a month ahead of time so we know what songs they've been rehearsing. They'll often decide an approximate order in the week before it starts. It's subject to change until they find an order they like, and then they tend to stick with that order aside from some variables and tweaks.
We try to be ready for anything. Last fall they threw in "3rd Eye" a day or 2 before the first show, so I winged it in Sacramento and then programmed stuff for it over the first few days of the tour. Though they had done that song a few years ago, they hadn't done it since we built the most recent lighting rig, and I had nothing prepared for it. That's generally how any last minute surprises are dealt with, from my side. There are also a few songs that we thought they were going to play at one time or another, so we have them ready just in case they ever do play them.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Cool insight Junior, thanks for the post. Probably explains why the lighting for Third Eye was somewhat minimal.

Great job as always.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Yeah thanks for the insight Junior. Very cool. Good to know they still keep you on your toes. Good luck with the coming tour. I can't wait to get back in the same venue with all you guys.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

junior wrote:
Capt. Shipwreck wrote: No, not directly behind! It's nice to know a song like that is still on the radar somewhere, soundcheck or not! Junior how far in advance do you get a set list to play around with? Just a curiosity.
Sometimes it's a few hours before the show. There were times years ago that it was minutes before the show, but that's become less common.
Generally, when starting a tour we'll see a rough guess of a list (in no particular order) a month ahead of time so we know what songs they've been rehearsing. They'll often decide an approximate order in the week before it starts. It's subject to change until they find an order they like, and then they tend to stick with that order aside from some variables and tweaks.
We try to be ready for anything. Last fall they threw in "3rd Eye" a day or 2 before the first show, so I winged it in Sacramento and then programmed stuff for it over the first few days of the tour. Though they had done that song a few years ago, they hadn't done it since we built the most recent lighting rig, and I had nothing prepared for it. That's generally how any last minute surprises are dealt with, from my side. There are also a few songs that we thought they were going to play at one time or another, so we have them ready just in case they ever do play them.
Thanks for that man very cool. Your work is second to none a Tool show is certainly one hell of a visual experience and we have you and tour team to thank for that.
greasy
Has been

Post by greasy »

greasy wrote:No presale? Get ready for nosebleed seats......
HB....thanks for the rant. You gotta throw a lotta shit at the wall until something sticks, and Its safe to say it will be read by somebody in their camp. Bravo sir.
Yes, I am the same Greasy from the hubs (remember AMT?)

https://www.ebay.com/str/cgreinsky
sudnshok
Bronco's Fan

Post by sudnshok »

greasy wrote: HB....thanks for the rant. You gotta throw a lotta shit at the wall until something sticks, and Its safe to say it will be read by somebody in their camp. Bravo sir.
Their website - that people have PAID to use - has been broken for like 6-7 years now. If they can't fix a simple website, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to fix a broken ticketing system. If people keep packing these shows for an easy payday - despite this band doing absolutely nothing for the last 8 years - there is no incentive for them to change. I know I am in the extreme minority, but I will not be attending any of these shows...not until they produce some new material. Next time I see them live will be when they tour to support the new album, which looks like may never happen.
greasy
Has been

Post by greasy »

sudnshok wrote:
greasy wrote: HB....thanks for the rant. You gotta throw a lotta shit at the wall until something sticks, and Its safe to say it will be read by somebody in their camp. Bravo sir.
Their website - that people have PAID to use - has been broken for like 6-7 years now. If they can't fix a simple website, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to fix a broken ticketing system. If people keep packing these shows for an easy payday - despite this band doing absolutely nothing for the last 8 years - there is no incentive for them to change. I know I am in the extreme minority, but I will not be attending any of these shows...not until they produce some new material. Next time I see them live will be when they tour to support the new album, which looks like may never happen.
We all know about the lawsuit with Cam that they had to deal with. That not only took up a lot of time, but from a creative standpoint, certainly can create a roadblock. I would hardly say they have done absolutely nothing for the last 8 years. A few tours, settling the lawsuit, working on the new record, and whatever 'curveball' surprise that may or may not exist certainly counts for something. Am I frustrated that the album is not out? Certainly. However I, nor any of us here, completely understand what delays they have dealt with as a band. I am, and will continue to be patient.
Yes, I am the same Greasy from the hubs (remember AMT?)

https://www.ebay.com/str/cgreinsky
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I had the realisation the other day that if they were to come to Aus around a similar time as Metallica for a tour, id choose Metallica based on the opportunity of hearing new songs I haven't heard before and that surprised the shit out of me, given my love for Tool live.

But when you consider I'm 2000 kms away from the nearest city they play and have now made the trip for 3 separate tours on essentially the same album, I suppose it makes sense.
Listen to All Them Witches
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

sudnshok wrote:
A scenario where the only metric of fan satisfaction is how widely they open their wallets is a sad one.

The reality is that Tool sell out quite quickly, and the few who hold back out of principal make no impact. The message is going to need to come from elsewhere, hence the letter.

They need not fix a broken ticketing system - they clearly have the capacity to sell tickets on their store (ie VIPs). I'm not asking them to take on Ticketmaster/Stubhub, only extend their range of presales to include non-VIP tickets.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Busty McCracken wrote:I had the realisation the other day that if they were to come to Aus around a similar time as Metallica for a tour, id choose Metallica based on the opportunity of hearing new songs I haven't heard before and that surprised the shit out of me, given my love for Tool live.
You know I'd probably go and see Metallica if they toured (and I expect they will later this year) but if force to choose between to two Tool would win every time, regardless of what songs they played.
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

I don't know if this makes sense but does Tool make more money by going threw Ticketmaster/AXS? Would they lose money if they set aside seats for a pre-sale? I not saying they are some greedy heartless bastards but I don't think they would like to lose any money on ticket sales if they could help it. Conspiracy time!!!!! Adam Jones owns stock in stubhub.......dumb dumb duuuuuuuummmmmmbbbbbbbb!

All in all it's just laziness and lack of passion of the band to not even have a updated website. No updates on lyrics or tour dates. No 10,000 days vinyl. No bullshit curveball. I wasn't upset when I first started to write this and now I am pissed at them. We need to start up and bump The Grudge thread!
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Don't think I'd go see Metallica if someone gave me free tickets, and this coming from someone who loves their '80's stuff.

Hetfield attempting to sing = WOOF!!!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

the chill wrote:I don't know if this makes sense but does Tool make more money by going threw Ticketmaster/AXS? Would they lose money if they set aside seats for a pre-sale? I not saying they are some greedy heartless bastards but I don't think they would like to lose any money on ticket sales if they could help it.
Maybe they would lose money, but considering they charge you $50 to join TA they're probably making it back there.

On top of that, I doubt many would object to a small surcharge on presales if that's what it took to happen.

And money is kinda beside the point anyway - I mean how many more Malibu mansions, vineyards and Lamborghini's do the members of the band need?
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

hellboy wrote:
the chill wrote:I mean how many more Malibu mansions, vineyards and Lamborghini's do the members of the band need?
To be fair Danny's Lamborghini is getting a bit old. Time to pony up for a new Aventador SV to go with that Malibu home.