Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Spoonman
Geacon

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Spoonman »

Tool_User wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:04 am
Spoonman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:16 am Just back from Berlin. Took 12 years to see the guys live again...

It was a nice show, but somehow it didn't feel right for me. The setlist felt like it was just puzzled, there was no build up of tension, just one song following the next.
What really got me was "Intolerance" (!)

Anyway, if they come back (hopefully in less than 12 years), I will be back first row.
I get ya, maybe cos it is kind of a greatest hits tour? Hopefully it will feel more cohesive when they do the album tour.
Yes, felt like a greatest hits compilation. The last time I saw them (2006 and 2007) they also played their most prominent songs, but the setlist was balanced much smarter (in my opinion).
Attachments
photo_2019-06-03_00-43-02.jpg
photo_2019-06-03_00-43-02.jpg (104.59 KiB) Viewed 8895 times
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Spoonman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:23 am
Tool_User wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:04 am
Spoonman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:16 am Just back from Berlin. Took 12 years to see the guys live again...

It was a nice show, but somehow it didn't feel right for me. The setlist felt like it was just puzzled, there was no build up of tension, just one song following the next.
What really got me was "Intolerance" (!)

Anyway, if they come back (hopefully in less than 12 years), I will be back first row.
I get ya, maybe cos it is kind of a greatest hits tour? Hopefully it will feel more cohesive when they do the album tour.
Yes, felt like a greatest hits compilation. The last time I saw them (2006 and 2007) they also played their most prominent songs, but the setlist was balanced much smarter (in my opinion).
Must admit the set list does look a bit random and I spose the intermission doesn't really help but glad you enjoyed the show! Any other highlights or favorite moments? Cool pic!
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Although I do like the songs a lot I think it is time for them to change Stinkfist, 46&2 and Schism for something else.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

ms2r wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:46 am Although I do like the songs a lot I think it is time for them to change Stinkfist, 46&2 and Schism for something else.
it isnt anything new. the 06 'warm up tour' everyone thought was just gonna be the ''the hits'' but they continued to play that set for 2 years straight give or take a few songs. adding wings/10k changed it in a better way but that songs kind of boring imo. then when they played in 09 it was basically the same which was lame.

2012 was a more stand out set..hooker,ticks,intension,pushit,parabola, that changed things up and it made the same old tunes seem better. my cousin said that and hes right. i felt it too. kinda sad, they are better then what they mostly play. come the fall hopefully it will be drastic enough to make a difference this way.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Stand out set, always difficult. Best shows have been the one in 013 from 2001 and the one in Oberhausen from 2006.
Being my first and seventh (last so far) show I've seen them.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/200 ... 6548b.html
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/200 ... 6c2ed.html

Wouldn't want to miss both.

In all those seven shows they played Stinkfist, 46&2 and Schism. Aenima being dropped for only 1 show.
Kinda cool I was at a concert at which they played Ticks & Leeches.
Last edited by ms2r on Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Canned audience laughter
Primate
Maynard Believer

Post by Primate »

Tool_User wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:04 am I get ya, maybe cos it is kind of a greatest hits tour? Hopefully it will feel more cohesive when they do the album tour.
Indeed. Considering Intolerance a rare treat and Descending & Invincible a preview, what we´re left with is - fanboy hat off - singles played live.
While I´m happy and excited about them being back at it, and thankful for having been able and - fanboy hat on - allowed to see them again after so many years, I can´t wait for them touring the new material. Imagine a new-songs-only-tour...
snazzl3frass
Has been
Height: Tall as fuck

Post by snazzl3frass »

bob wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:24 am adding wings/10k changed it in a better way but that songs kind of boring imo.
You shut your mouth!
Nice couch. Fuck your couch.
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

ms2r wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:42 am Stand out set, always difficult. Best shows have been the one in 013 from 2001 and the one in Oberhausen from 2006.
Being my first and seventh (last so far) show I've seen them.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/200 ... 6548b.html
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/200 ... 6c2ed.html

Wouldn't want to miss both.

In all those seven shows they played Stinkfist, 46&2 and Schism. Aenima being dropped for only 1 show.
Kinda cool I was at a concert at which they played Ticks & Leeches.
Swamp Song was a real highlight! Still remember...
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

Setlist needs a revamp bad. I find myself taking a planned bathroom break during stinkfist or schism. They have too many good songs to be so stale. Also they should just stop playing festivals.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

It makes sense that the sets are hit heavy, look at what metallica plays they aren't any different. The majority of fans at a gig won't have seen them live so will want to see the hits so I'm at least gonna give Tool credit for appeasing the fans in that regard. Although having said that, it's probably more about what Maynard feels like singing. You would expect that when the album is released it will take up most of the set though.

Seeing them for the first time I'll take whatever they've got. I just hope I enjoy it, festivals can be a bit hit and miss and I've waited years for this. Just need to keep my expectations in check.
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

SRORRIM FO LLAH ~ HALL OF MIRRORS

Other than the article, not sure what to make of it...if there's anything to be made of it.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

I think Aenema is an odd opener. It doesn't really have that feel. Then again, I think third eye is weird to open with too.
Last edited by Boldizar on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

The Lateralus Vicarious Aenima flow in 2006 was really good at the end of the concert.
Having Stinkfist at the end well be a different experience.
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

I don't mind the singles heavy setlist for Europe. They haven't been here since 2007 and these are the first shows ever for a considerable part of the audience. And I got to check off four songs of my "to hear live" list, including 25 minutes of new music. Complaining about that would seem a bit like "what have the Romans ever done for us" to me.

The four shows I've been to have given me a pretty good selection of songs anyway:

Opiate
Intolerance, Prison Sex, Sober, Swamp Song
Stinkfist, Eulogy, Forty Six & Two, Pushit, Ænema
The Grudge, Parabol, Parabola, Schism, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection
Vicarious, Jambi, Wings for Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Lost Keys, Rosetta Stoned, Right In Two
Descending, Invincible

The only big miss for me is Third Eye.

Ænema works surprisingly well as an opener, maybe beause Maynard has tweaked his vocals a bit on this song (less anger, more... spiteful glee?).
It got the audience going really fast in Berlin.

Stinkfist as a closer doesn't work for me either, though.
It has too much of a kickstarting "wanting for more" feel to it, both musically and lyrically.
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

bob wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:24 am
ms2r wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:46 am Although I do like the songs a lot I think it is time for them to change Stinkfist, 46&2 and Schism for something else.
it isnt anything new. the 06 'warm up tour' everyone thought was just gonna be the ''the hits'' but they continued to play that set for 2 years straight give or take a few songs. adding wings/10k changed it in a better way but that songs kind of boring imo. then when they played in 09 it was basically the same which was lame.
you are not the only one that thought it was boring. ive never heard a crowd talk so much than during 10,000/wings, which sucks because it is a relatively quiet song. obviously MJK took notice as well as they havent played it since that tour and this snippit in a interview:

In retrospect, Keenan regrets pouring his private pain into the album. "I think probably the stupidest thing I could have done on 10,000 Days was put myself out there as much as I did with the tracks 'Wings for Marie (Part 1)' and '10,000 Days (Wings Part 2),'" he explained. "I'll never make that mistake again. It just took too much out of me – too much emotionally, mentally, physically – all those manifestations. Those songs were exploited and misconstrued, people were flippant and dismissive. I won't be doing that anymore. And technically, 'Wings' is very difficult to pull off. If any one of us is off, it falls apart and makes that thing tragic, and that's not a good song for me to have fall apart. It's just too personal."

too bad people were such turds when it came to this song and they could not respect a man that they claim to enjoy/love that is pouring his heart and soul out there. id love to hear this song again, but wouldnt want it ruined by the turds

and you wonder why MJK is an asshole to the fans....
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

The couple of times I saw Wings performed perfect and with a perfect audience was fucking magical. Those were exceptions. Usually filled with screaming and talking which was awful. Totally get why they pulled it.
snazzl3frass
Has been
Height: Tall as fuck

Post by snazzl3frass »

It makes perfect sense why he would dislike the fans. There’s always assholes out there that ruin it for the rest of us. Seems every tool gig I’ve been to there’s always a dude in the audience screaming Maynerrrrrrrd!

Tool’s Tools
Nice couch. Fuck your couch.
PulsedHalo
Has been

Post by PulsedHalo »

https://metalinjection.net/av/quality-f ... lhrInS-An8

Watch this magic! OH man!! I cannot wait for the fucking 30th of fucking August!!!!!
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

ill just say it. there is a large percentage of tool fans that are just pure trash. i know its not a revelation, but..

just needed to get that off my chest.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

nxrm wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:00 am SRORRIM FO LLAH ~ HALL OF MIRRORS

Other than the article, not sure what to make of it...if there's anything to be made of it.
How did you get there?
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

joeypants wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:24 pm The couple of times I saw Wings performed perfect and with a perfect audience was fucking magical. Those were exceptions. Usually filled with screaming and talking which was awful. Totally get why they pulled it.
Got lucky in Oberhausen. At least from where I was the audience was respectful and quiet. 10,000 Days and Wings sounded excellent and were the highlights of an already highlight show.

But I can understand MJK's stance.

And yes, hearing 25 minutes of new music is something I look forward to!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

PulsedHalo wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:32 pm https://metalinjection.net/av/quality-f ... lhrInS-An8

Watch this magic! OH man!! I cannot wait for the fucking 30th of fucking August!!!!!
Whoa, those lighting rigs are fucking nuts!!
PulsedHalo
Has been

Post by PulsedHalo »

Sound quality is good too!
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

rshforgothispw wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:07 pm
nxrm wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:00 am SRORRIM FO LLAH ~ HALL OF MIRRORS

How did you get there?
Just contemplating the most recent news post at Toolband.com: https://toolband.com/news/2019/srorrim-fo-llah/

Looks like Blair may be referencing Len Stringfield's 'UFO Crash / Retrievals: Search for Proof in a Hall of Mirrors, Status Report VII' in the title of the news post.

But maybe, just maybe...there's a clue or hint about the new album as well.
Last edited by nxrm on Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.