Height: 182cm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by hellboy »

It's funny cos it's true
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

All hilarity aside, this is a good sign, right? Adam is well aware of the shitstorm of excitement that something as simple as this from one of them can cause.
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig wrote:All hilarity aside, this is a good sign, right? Adam is well aware of the shitstorm of excitement that something as simple as this from one of them can cause.
Yeah, I think it's good. I'm quietly confident that Adam, Justin and Danny will been done with their songwriting parts by the time Maynard finishes with APC. Hopefully they can get them under his nose before Billy does. It'll be interesting to see who wins that battle, as I suspect the one that doesn't win can probably have +12 months added to the release date.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

It'd mean a great deal to hear a snippet of music composed over the last 6 months at least.

Ps: 2 to 1 APC releases new music first
also, Avatar!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

trilobite wrote:It'd mean a great deal to hear a snippet of music composed over the last 6 months at least.

Ps: 2 to 1 APC releases new music first
Yep, being that Billy will had Maynard's undivided attention soon enough, it looks that way.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I'd also be surprised if Billy hadn't already won that battle.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:I'd also be surprised if Billy hadn't already won that battle.
I'm not so sure. Billy has talked up new APC material before (not to mention Ashes Divide) and not much has come of it (except By and Down or whatever it was called). His track record in the last 10 years is no better than Tool's.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

If you look at Adam's instagram, he posted some art he did for a new Pat Mastelotto project, and it looks really cool. A little different from some of his other recent work. Personally, I'd be all about seeing something like that as art for the new album.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Oh, and another thing I meant to post a while ago but never did, and Adam's jam room post the other day reminded me of it...

If you were inclined to ever want to see more photos of the "big board" in the jam room at The Loft... the Legend of the Seagullment FB page might not be a bad place to start. ;) Good luck making anything out of it, naturally, but uber-nerds will enjoy.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

a quick excerpt from The Strombo Show, whose guest was MJK, pertaining to Tool.

Strombo: There is so much mystery around it, which I'm fine with, I'm cool with the mythology, I'm cool with artists doing what they want. But in your head do you see a plan?
MJK: For some things, yes i see a plan, and others i just see roadblocks.
Strombo: Which one has the roadblocks?
MJK: Can't say that.
Strombo: OK.

Well i dont think its crazy to assume that the roadblocks are clearly in the Tool camp, rather than the APC camp. With light of the recent news of APC shows, and both MJK and Billy saying they are planning on releasing a new album, i think its very obvious that the roadblocks are with Tool.

This is very disheartening to hear as a Tool fan. There is so much potential with Tool. They have arguably some of the greatest musicians at their respective instruments in the world. MJK is a great lyricist, Adam and Justin are amazing at what they do. And then there is Danny.... need I say more? So much potential for a massive catalog of great albums/music. Yet they have struggled to release more than 4 full length albums in nearly 25 years. ToolArchive posted a cool video of new Tool tunes from past shows, and all the news from the band regarding the album since 2007. So many promises of release dates missed. Its really just a bummer. I can't help but feel as though the band does not get along... or maybe MJK doesnt get along with the band? I have no concrete reason to believe this; just my gut feeling after listening to multiple interviews regarding Tool.

Something is not right in the Tool camp. We get optimistic responses from Danny everytime he mentions the album. Justin in his recent intervews has said progress is great, and an album is in the works. The Pot video, the Opiate video, a DVD, Salival II, a new album, #SmokeOnTheHorizon, Another Tool song in the can, a website update is in the works...... but nothing ever comes of any of it. And then MJK says all he sees is Roadblocks. Quite disappointing to say the least.
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

xZ1mM3r wrote:UPDATE TO THE NEWSLETTER:

I compared the original Sept 2016 newsletter to the new updated newsletter to get only the section that was changed. See below for new portion.

Over 3 months later, LaraLee and I once again materialized in the very same Arby’s where the order ‘error’ occurred. After placing and getting our food, when LaraLee arrived at the table with her tray and opened the sandwich wrapper, she looked up at me with an expression of amazement. “It happened AGAIN! The SAME thing”, she told me. Instead of the Jr. Ham and Cheese that she ordered (as a change of pace, or to test the counter guy, I do not know), she was given – by the SAME counter guy as before – a Jr. Beef, Bacon & Cheese (also with a side of Potato Cakes instead of the Curly Fries that she ordered.) Obviously, the first time that this happened, I was only joking about the Arby’s employee’s exceptional ability to know more about what a person really wants than they do – this, in order to provide an example of positive thinking. However, now I had to wonder what on earth is going on? Was I missing the total picture? Had I somehow entered a dimensional portal into a parallel earth where, other than the strange Arby’s, things are quite similar? Or, maybe I had died with my soul shifted to hell? (If, so, I can report that hell is not very different from earth – except for one thing - and the strange Arby’s, of course.) And if indeed I died and was delivered to hell, was I condemned to write Tool Newsletters for an eternity without a new Tool record – even after a new album is released in the dimension of my origin? Just to make sure that I am not over-reacting, in 3 months time I will return with LaraLee to the same Arby’s to see if the counter guy gets her order correct? If not, and it’s the same ‘wrong’ order as before, I will know that I’m no longer where I though I was...
Blair's now added the following at the end:

"(Oh, and for God's sake, don't read anything into this other than what it is - a strange happening at a 'nearby' Arby's!)"
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Yep, hopefully no one is foolish enough to read too much into this update.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Metal Sucks has a pretty good summary of the recent MJK podcast:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2017/01/30/to ... -and-more/
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Arbys????

Like RBs.

Like Ranch Breenbus, the bug dude?!?!?!
Don't mow your lawn
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
Something is not right in the Tool camp. We get optimistic responses from Danny everytime he mentions the album. Justin in his recent intervews has said progress is great, and an album is in the works. The Pot video, the Opiate video, a DVD, Salival II, a new album, #SmokeOnTheHorizon, Another Tool song in the can, a website update is in the works...... but nothing ever comes of any of it. And then MJK says all he sees is Roadblocks. Quite disappointing to say the least.

That's more or less a given. It wouldn't take a genius to guess that the Tool camp is split firmly into two camps. I have heard rumours from colleagues both at my radio station and from our sister station in the US that "Maynard and Adam do not get along - Maynard basically thinks Adam is a rude snob. And a lazy one at that. And the poison between the two has been eating away at the core of the band for years.". A friend of mine who writes for a metal mag here in Oz, once interviewed Maynard and he was asked to NOT ask Maynard Tool questions and to specifically not mention Adam Jones. Make of that what you will.

I'd say it's most likely gotten to the point where the three loft guys are questioning whether or not they want to go through the whole rigmarole of releasing and touring a new album. Perhaps they just don't have it in them. I also fail to see how a lawsuit could keep you from releasing an album - when bands go through lawsuits all the time. Sabbath back in the 70's are a prime example of that. They went through some doozies. And in all that time, whenever Maynard was asked about progress on the album, he'd give an abrupt response, alluding to the fact that the other three are "lazy". So, it just doesn't add up.

You're right in that, all we ever get are "positive" updates from the loft and then months if not years of silence. And just as we're feeling that there may just be light at the end of the tunnel, along comes Maynard to crush all and any hope with one comment.

Yeah, they don't "owe" us anything, but as a long time fan it would be nice to have something to add to the mix. If it doesn't happen, so be it. And at this point it looks as if it will be years before anything concrete is announced.

Hope they find their mojo again.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Until such a point as an album happens, I don't really care how the band see each other internally. I think most people suspect that relationships in the band aren't ideal, otherwise we'd have seen more progress. There's very clearly a Maynard camp, and then the other three doing their own thing. Tool make a big deal of them being four equal partners, and I'm sure that's the case, but certainly as far as songwriting is concerned there seems to be two separate units here. I imagine Maynard see's Tool much the same as he does APC - when the songwriter(s) finish their thing, he will do his.

I don't any of these issues ending the band, or compromising touring though - I think if that were likely it would have happened by now.
_peterpwn
Has been

Post by _peterpwn »

There was az interview with Adam, if i remember correctly its even in the Tool edition of Revolver, maybe the interview together with Kirk Hammett or i dont know wich interview was that, but I remember clearly a part, when Adam said "So that is the case with my band. It's MY band. I was the one asking XY to join, I left making special effects to start a band, Tool was my idea, it is MY band".

I think Danny and Justin are strong individuals with strong oppinions, but they can be patient enough to let their part be changed by directions given by Adam, because they trust his vision

but its not just the temperment of Justin and Danny, its the trust towards Adam, because they work together so much, and they know and have daily experience of the rewarding process of trusting each others sometimes harsh oppinions and directions

but Maynard is not involved in the actual making process, he is not involved in the small or big fights in the band, so to cut the long story short, there is a trust that has to be earned every time he enters to this process

he has to trust in Adams painfully slow pace and experiments, and Adam has to trust Maynard that what he does, will fit in to the overall concept of the actual album or song they are working

and i can imagine it can get ugly when Maynard says something like, i sing whatever i want to sing, and in any way i want to sing so you just play your instruments and let me do this. and when Adam says, ok man, just please, try this, and try this, and cut this lyric a bit, or sing maybe softly here, just try it, it gets even more tense, and when Maynard says im the singer, Adam says yes but its my band, thats a dealbraker for Maynard, and with his quick temper i guess he says, OK, just work on it more then, and call me when its ready...

but that quick temper, that sometimes annoying passion or agression what Maynard brought to their table i think was extremely important for the other three to get more motivated and inspired to actually do shit and to actually GET.SHIT.DONE.ALREADY.

(PS: two interesting thing about Lateralus: they say the distance between members were the biggest then, APC came alive, Justin struggled with his identity in the band, law suits were even more ugly and they were pretty unexperienced then with this stuff so even more difficult stuff....

that dirt, that pain, that disillusionment, that outburn, that distance.... fruited one of the most unique and beautiful albums in the world... so im curious wich end they will turn out of this tedious path

ps2: this summer concert they'll have, am i too optimistic to feel somehow, that they play a new song or new tease or new video or new something there? i just feel it man

cheers
_peterpwn
Has been

Post by _peterpwn »

https://toolnavy.com/archive/index.php/t-39523.html

(talks about sacred geometry)..."to me that is what Tool is, because everyone in my band gets that. MY band. it's my band. I asked Maynard to play with me, so Tool is my band"

wow, its even more prick-like statement, or an overreaction to something, or you know "im not confident in it so i have to articulate it loudly that im the leader"
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Something to keep in mind: everyone in this band has a sarcastic, and pretty well-tuned sense of humor. I'd be willing to bet a whole truck full of money that was said in jest and, as with anything, it doesn't come through in purely text form.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Also, people say stupid shit all the time. Something Adam said 20 years ago isn't neccessarily relevant to what happens in the band today.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

My mum said she wished I was never born 25 years ago.. does this mean her view has potentially changed and that I should maybe consider calling her?

As mentioned in Puscifer thread it is beyond obvious that Maynard has little passion for Tool compared to Puscifer and am kinda surprised he still does it to be honest. I wonder what keeps him involved. Friendship, obligation, money or deep down he still does respect the living shit out of the project while being able to resent the hell out of it at the same time.
Listen to All Them Witches
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Busty McCracken wrote: As mentioned in Puscifer thread it is beyond obvious that Maynard has little passion for Tool compared to Puscifer and am kinda surprised he still does it to be honest. I wonder what keeps him involved. Friendship, obligation, money or deep down he still does respect the living shit out of the project while being able to resent the hell out of it at the same time.
My bet is on the money, and I really don't have a problem with that. I'm sure his vineyard tied into Puscifer is profitable, but being able to go out on tour for 5 weeks with headlining festivals is what pays the mortgage.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
great_gerbil
Bronco's Fan

Post by great_gerbil »

If I had to guess I'd say that Maynard is a go, go, go kind of person and that Adam is a very deliberate, cautious person.

Maynard wants to get an idea, record, and go. Adam and Justin have both said they'll take a riff or someone will bring in an idea and they'll dissect it and toy with it til they're sick of it and by then it's good to go.

I'm sure that causes tension.

I also have a weird itch that the whole team doesn't want to just make "another Tool album." People accused 10,000 Days of being derivative and, while I get where they get that, I respectfully disagree. But that kind of criticism can get under people's skin. So that wouldn't surprise me as something giving them pause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk