Lateralus - an experience

The Main Event
TheWizardofAus
Maynard Believer

Post by TheWizardofAus »

This took place the second weekend of March and more than a month later I'm still filled with awe and a little shaken.

My wife and I went to bed around 10pm. Never been much of a dreamer, but I woke just before midnight, startled from my sleep by a vision. The spirit of 'La Medicina' appeared, saying it's time. A little startled, I went downstairs and prepared the space - it's been some time since our last tete-a-tete.

During the 25 minute preceding meditation, I asked a few standard questions: how much? fireplace? Candles or darkness? music or silence? The last question came like a whisper - "Lateralus, headphones".  Well ok then. I've never heard Lateralus through headphones in the ceremonial setting. I searched the back of the fridge, gave thanks and let the brew in.

It began in the usual fashion, but with a new appreciation for the art I was witnessing. I was intrigued by The Patient separated by 2 instrumentals. I had a strange sense of finishing one chapter of the album, and starting another, between Schism and Parabol. I don't believe in coincidence, but interestingly the purge came half way through Ticks and Leeches. I came back, settled in, and hit play to finish T&L. I should add that I'm very pleased the f-bombs are edited with such subtlety. To me, it seems they didn't compromise their own, and therefore the albums, integrity.

The title track began, and in the time between the intro and the first verse I recalled how pivotal this track has been in my life. So much so, i have 'embrace the random' indelibly marked on my left arm, like a code to live by.

I'll 'Tarantino' what happened next. I've had a feeling for a while this album was centered around the chakra belief system.  I remember reading somewhere we should buy the cd because it contained hidden data. At first I thought this was a poor marketing strategy.

But midway through the song, I heard what I can only describe as a fluctuation behind the drums. Focussing on the sound, I slipped into a hypnogogic state and became aware of the Ajna pulsing. It was an on/off throb for maybe half a dozen times before I became fully conscious of it. I snapped awake with excitement and bewilderment.

Just as in a dream you question what you witnessed, but then I heard the word 'intuition' sung and became less skeptical. Of course the lyrics are (to a small degree), interpretive, but when I heard the words 'I lose myself between the sounds ... I feel it move across my skin', all doubt was erased.

Perhaps there is an inclusion of binaural beats to induce this state? Perhaps Danny's drum formulae really could bring the New Jerusalem! I can only speculate. But this is the first time there was a tangible experience and not just interpretation.

I know there may be many other fig leaves to be revealed within this album (and my interpretations may be way off), but I think I'm done trying to chase the answer. Whether the effect I experienced was intentional by the artists, it has taught me what I need will be revealed when the time is right.

“A man of knowledge lives by acting, not by thinking about acting. ” ―  Carlos Castaneda
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

interesting read....

some times when im sitting   it feels like my body axis/metaphysical-gravitational self rotates forward.    its quite an interesting feeling
go taff!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Yo Wizard... was your brew, Ayahuasca?
Professor of Lesbian Science