New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

The Main Event
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by nxrm »

And the lighting and speaker rig is something else.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

wow great photo
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

liz wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:17 pmwow great photo
Can't take any credit for these as I'm just lifting 'em from r/Toolband. :D

However, I was actually standing next to the guy taking this picture, when it was being taken.

And, I do wish I'd seen/met the kilt wearing, acid tripping, first time seeing Tool guy that Kittaan told me about though.
Matthewc25
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Matthewc25 »

I finally got the chance to see them on the 20th! Holy crap was it an amazing experience! I was in absolute awe throughout the whole show! They sounded so good! I loved the new songs live and hearing fear Inoculum live truly makes me respect it a lot more. I was lucky to also get a poster. I didn’t get a signed one but I’m happy I got a regular one.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Matthewc25 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:17 pm I finally got the chance to see them on the 20th! Holy crap was it an amazing experience! I was in absolute awe throughout the whole show! They sounded so good! I loved the new songs live and hearing fear Inoculum live truly makes me respect it a lot more. I was lucky to also get a poster. I didn’t get a signed one but I’m happy I got a regular one.
Right on! Congratulations on getting a poster as well.
Matthewc25
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Matthewc25 »

nxrm wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:48 pm
Matthewc25 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:17 pm I finally got the chance to see them on the 20th! Holy crap was it an amazing experience! I was in absolute awe throughout the whole show! They sounded so good! I loved the new songs live and hearing fear Inoculum live truly makes me respect it a lot more. I was lucky to also get a poster. I didn’t get a signed one but I’m happy I got a regular one.
Right on! Congratulations on getting a poster as well.
Thanks!! It was a great time! I loved how involved Maynard seemed to be. I’ve seen videos and heard all of the stories of him just chillin in the back. He was all over the place.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Matthewc25 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:46 pm Thanks!! It was a great time! I loved how involved Maynard seemed to be. I’ve seen videos and heard all of the stories of him just chillin in the back. He was all over the place.
It's a great first Tool show to have experienced.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

nxrm wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:54 am I've been enjoyed these side stage pictures recently. Had no idea Danny's riser platform was transparent.

Yeah, he's had a transparent one since 2006 (I don't think he had one in 2002. Could be wrong).
There've been a few shows here and there in the past 13 years with a "normal" one, but only because of shipping schedules and stuff.
This one is new for this tour, though. 2' taller and (I think) 2' wider and deeper than the old one.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Cool pics.

Went to see Jack Savoretti yesterday and during the concert he made an interesting remark: some people in the crowd start shouting for some requests and he answered that he was honoured people still knew these (old) songs which he self just didn't know how to play/sing anymore. Dude has six albums between 2007 and 2019. He and his band played a 90 minute set.
With above and Danny Carey's remark that he would have to re-learn Rosetta Stoned completely I think the current setlist is getting more and more obvious. It is just darn hard to keep remembering everything from all songs to nail them in concert. It needs rehearsing rehearsing rehearsing. And they are probably trying harder tot get 7empest right these days then some oldies.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Can you imagine Adam trying to do both Descending and 7empst on the same night?

He ain't buckethead.
Canned audience laughter
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

Thing is.... they were crushing Invincible and Descending by the end of Euro tour. The mastered bootleg from Lexington - only the 3rd time both songs were played live - is amazing quality. The visuals were on-point - remember the pyramid red lazer heptagram/pentagram shebang? - it's all there ready to go, yet they throw down Parabola, Pot etc. #bummer. The vox were finished in late 2018 - so there's nearly 12 months (excluding the 10years preceding it) where, you know, maybe could rehearse a little?
Only thing I can think of is MJK doesn't like a 9min instrumental with nothing to do. So play it before the end of 1st set and with CCTrip at the beginning of the 2nd there's a good 25mins powernap right there. And ok yeah maybe it's just too much on the guys to play in one gig. Idk.
I'll still go see them, and am super grateful for the opportunity to do so. And it'll still be awesome - the FI chain circle thing looks spooktacular. Pneuma etc. All good. Just wish they'd play Descending cause I think it's an absolute banger.
Carry on.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Well, I'd be happy with one or the other, rather then neither
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

junior wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:49 pm Yeah, he's had a transparent one since 2006 (I don't think he had one in 2002. Could be wrong).
There've been a few shows here and there in the past 13 years with a "normal" one, but only because of shipping schedules and stuff.
This one is new for this tour, though. 2' taller and (I think) 2' wider and deeper than the old one.
Must be nice to have that extra space to set up all the gear with the new riser.

If you didn't see my comment in the Tour thread, what you did with Pneuma in Los Angeles was incredible. Bravo man.

And, seeing you crack open that can of Guinness (despite being sick) after the Sunday night show was awesome. :D
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

Vacuum guy must have a lot harder job with all that carpet vs a few rugs.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

junior wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:49 pm Yeah, he's had a transparent one since 2006 (I don't think he had one in 2002. Could be wrong).
Why transparent? I assume there's lights/lasers underneath?
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Everything got to be trans something these days.
Canned audience laughter
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

ya, HB. watch some youtube videos. lights shine under the riser thing onto his kit and him. looks pretty cool that way.
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

Looks like Danny's playing some old Sonor Phonic bassdrums, might also be Signatures, but I'm not sure if they ever made black ones.
Anyway, both awesome drums! :-)
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Danny is a God. I’m still buzzing over his performances in LA. The other lads were quite good as well. ;)
Ki77aan :twisted:
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

hellboy wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:35 pm
Why transparent? I assume there's lights/lasers underneath?
Yeah. It's transparent to put lights under.
The idea more or less coincided with the introduction of the brass kit, and has continued regardless of which kit he's using.
It seemed like a good idea to make it even shinier. We used to have some lights on the corners of the old wooden riser and it just looked better to put them under glass.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

MobileVortex wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:51 pm Vacuum guy must have a lot harder job with all that carpet vs a few rugs.
The main grey area is actually Marley, which gets mopped.
Maynard's risers have grey carpet, though, so Vacuum guy still has a job.
Last edited by junior on Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

nxrm wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:58 am Must be nice to have that extra space to set up all the gear with the new riser.

If you didn't see my comment in the Tour thread, what you did with Pneuma in Los Angeles was incredible. Bravo man.

And, seeing you crack open that can of Guinness (despite being sick) after the Sunday night show was awesome. :D
I hadn't read the Tour thread in a bit, so I hadn't seen it.
Pneuma and Invincible have been progressing well. There hasn't been a lot of time to work on things the way our daily schedule has been going, but the days are getting faster.

I've tracked down the sickness to being allergies, mostly, so I likely wasn't contagious.
I'm probably going to have to start wearing a dust mask during the shows. The pot smoke is getting too thick (and nasty) out there, and it's been making me feel miserable, including headaches, cough, and general misery. Not a fun way to try to run a show. Sometimes it feels like someone is burning a tire.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

pot smoke
:mrgreen:
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

wow, now that weed is mostly legal/is legal, its that bad in arenas huh ? i figured with the non smoking thing everywhere even that wouldnt be that bad.

makes sense i guess. when i was out shopping the other day i smelt weed twice out in front of a couple of stores..wasnt young people either. everyone and their grandma smokes weed now it seems. haha..sorry its bothering you though, that sucks. i cant smoke that stuff since 97. was fun before that but i had to stop long ago. dope sniffers!
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Weird. Here smoking isn't allowed inside. This includes smoking weed.