New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

The Main Event
sonnyboy11
Bronco's Fan

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by sonnyboy11 »

Can I offer an alternative to the sick/allergy thing? It's got something do with the fogger machines. I have a head cold that kicked in yesterday something fierce after a few days of feeling a little under weather. I was in the front row night 2 at Staples and one of the foggers tipped over and blasted me in my face for most of Jambi. Stagehand came out later and fixed it. I get allergies too, but man, something else is going on and I think it's the smoke from those industrial strength foggers. Either way, wearing a bandanna going forward for these shows if on floor, at least occasionally.
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

Just smoke weed. Inoculate yourselves.
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Specter wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:25 pm Just smoke weed. Inoculate yourselves.
you sound like a friend of mine..he goes ''you need to do DMT to reset your brain so you can smoke weed again" haha...wth hes trying to do to me! :S
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

Get you to smoke weed again?
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Went to the San Antonio last night.. holy fuck, that had to be in the Top 3 out of the 12 times I've seen em, maybe even the best. Every song was performed so damn well and the new music is invigorating, don't miss this tour people!

Junior, what on earth was that life size Lego man in the control booth?
Ahhh, Infotainment!
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

sonnyboy11 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:34 pm Can I offer an alternative to the sick/allergy thing? It's got something do with the fogger machines. I have a head cold that kicked in yesterday something fierce after a few days of feeling a little under weather. I was in the front row night 2 at Staples and one of the foggers tipped over and blasted me in my face for most of Jambi. Stagehand came out later and fixed it. I get allergies too, but man, something else is going on and I think it's the smoke from those industrial strength foggers. Either way, wearing a bandanna going forward for these shows if on floor, at least occasionally.
It is the weed, for me, definitely not the foggers.
YMMV

Weed has been an irritant to me for well over 25 years.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Doesn't Maynard have a spare gas mask lying around you can borrow?
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

limeygringo wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:28 pm Junior, what on earth was that life size Lego man in the control booth?
It was Scott (our laser guy)'s birthday, and his assistant laser guy made that for him.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

hellboy wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:08 pm Doesn't Maynard have a spare gas mask lying around you can borrow?
If I don't find a solution I might have to quit touring.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

ms2r wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:04 pm Weird. Here smoking isn't allowed inside. This includes smoking weed.
It's not allowed here, either.
People seem to think it doesn't apply to them.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

junior wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:10 pm
hellboy wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:08 pm Doesn't Maynard have a spare gas mask lying around you can borrow?
Maybe a smoke proof curtain around the lighting booth you can project things onto
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

You're doing a fantastic job, Junior! Hope you get well soon and be able to continue the touring forever (!) :)
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Start handing out edibles!

Also would need less security, win win.
Canned audience laughter
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Loudewire headline "TOOLS LIGHTING DIRECTOR QUITS MID TOUR, JOINS WILLIE NELSON CITING CONCERNS OVER MARIJUANA SMOKE FROM THE AUDIENCE "
Canned audience laughter
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

tys0n wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:46 am Loudewire headline "TOOLS LIGHTING DIRECTOR QUITS MID TOUR, JOINS WILLIE NELSON CITING CONCERNS OVER MARIJUANA SMOKE FROM THE AUDIENCE "
“You serious, Clark?”
sonnyboy11
Bronco's Fan

Post by sonnyboy11 »

Sure as hell hope it doesn't come to that, junior. You've done a fantastic job over the years. Health must come first though. I am personally learning that the hard way in recent times.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

I Imagine thoes Denver shows were pretty unbearable. It's crazy how much weed was getting smoked in there.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

junior wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:34 pm I hadn't read the Tour thread in a bit, so I hadn't seen it.
Pneuma and Invincible have been progressing well. There hasn't been a lot of time to work on things the way our daily schedule has been going, but the days are getting faster.

I've tracked down the sickness to being allergies, mostly, so I likely wasn't contagious.
I'm probably going to have to start wearing a dust mask during the shows. The pot smoke is getting too thick (and nasty) out there, and it's been making me feel miserable, including headaches, cough, and general misery. Not a fun way to try to run a show. Sometimes it feels like someone is burning a tire.
Not a fun way to run a show at all, and I'm sure you're not the only one the smoke is affecting. I hope the dust mask helps.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

junior wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:34 pm
Get well soon junior.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

Yeah, definitely hope you feel better junior and there was definitely some skunky weed at the Houston show. I vaped, so hopefully I didn't add to your misery.

Question for you junior on the screen that goes around the stage for parts of the show. It would periodically have some really cool lightening/electrical effects on it that appeared to be generated on the screen. Does it have LED's in it or was it laser effects projected on it? Also, I noticed the front of the risers didn't have the LED's in them this time, was this an artistic or technical choice? Seemed like the whole stage had a kind of clean, minimalist vibe to it.

Looked like Adam had some equipment issues during one of the songs. The guitar tech was running around with cables and guitars for about 2 minutes. I don't think he got to use his talk box at all. He kinda shrugged to the crowd as if to say "what are you going to do?" after the song. I have to say, Adam was much more animated than in past shows. Even pulled out a couple of "guitar" poses when he was really bending a note.

MJK sang Vicarious entirely with his megaphone, I don't recall him doing that before. He also sat and even laid down while singing. He may have been irritated at everyone checking the Astros score. I think he was saving his voice a bit for Part of Me, cause he absolutely ripped it. Plus he had a some good screams periodically. Not much talking from him this show. Basically "Astros", "don't follow hockey" and "don't know the score of the hockey game, but ____ (no idea what he said here) won!".

Really like Danny's bit on the gong and solo. Really trippy (hence the name) and the sounds seem like they were coming from all over the arena. Definitely a cool effect. Dude is a rock on the drums, I am 10 years younger than him and I am sore from just watching the show.

Justin is always great. He gets so into the songs, love watching him play. Those bass riffs are mental and vibrate your whole body. You can really tell he enjoys playing the new stuff and had a lot of input into the songs. Also, instead of beer bottles, he looks like he has a few candles on his side of the stage. I remember in 2007, he was kneeling down messing with his pedals and drinking beer the whole show. By the end there was probably 6-7 bottles around his pedals. Still played like a beast.

Overall the Houston show was good. Crowd was into it on and off and it didn't help that the Astros were playing during the show. Lots of people on their phone checking the score. Not one of their best I have seen, but was great to see them on stage again. All the festivals were too far away from me, so it had been a couple of years.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:51 am MJK sang Vicarious entirely with his megaphone, I don't recall him doing that before. He also sat and even laid down while singing. He may have been irritated at everyone checking the Astros score. I think he was saving his voice a bit for Part of Me, cause he absolutely ripped it. Plus he had a some good screams periodically. Not much talking from him this show. Basically "Astros", "don't follow hockey" and "don't know the score of the hockey game, but ____ (no idea what he said here) won!".
He's been singing Vicarious through the megaphone for a few years now (found some videos dating back to 2014).

He was also sitting on one of the risers, lying down and putting his feet up in the air, during the song for both Los Angeles shows. It looked like part of the character he was playing while singing the song. I wouldn't read too much into it.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

nxrm wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:01 pm
ToolFanFromWayBack wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:51 am MJK sang Vicarious entirely with his megaphone, I don't recall him doing that before. He also sat and even laid down while singing. He may have been irritated at everyone checking the Astros score. I think he was saving his voice a bit for Part of Me, cause he absolutely ripped it. Plus he had a some good screams periodically. Not much talking from him this show. Basically "Astros", "don't follow hockey" and "don't know the score of the hockey game, but ____ (no idea what he said here) won!".
He's been singing Vicarious through the megaphone for a few years now (found some videos dating back to 2014).

He was also sitting on one of the risers, lying down and putting his feet up in the air, during the song for both Los Angeles shows. It looked like part of the character he was playing while singing the song. I wouldn't read too much into it.
Ah, guess they (or he) have/has a lot of it planned ahead. Thanks for the info...
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Howdy Junior, hope you’re feeling better and enjoying Tulsa (? heh). You guys pack up and hit the road right away for Milwaukee? Just wondering since there’s some ugly weather coming about. Ugh. I think Tool has only played Milwaukee one time (July 2007) and really looking forward to be able to wake up and sleep in my own bed on the same day Tool plays. Hope you can answer but I get that you’re a busy dude.

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:51 am Question for you junior on the screen that goes around the stage for parts of the show. It would periodically have some really cool lightening/electrical effects on it that appeared to be generated on the screen. Does it have LED's in it or was it laser effects projected on it? Also, I noticed the front of the risers didn't have the LED's in them this time, was this an artistic or technical choice? Seemed like the whole stage had a kind of clean, minimalist vibe to
I saw the first night at Denver. There’s definitely a projector at the mix for it. I didn’t see the lasers focused on it but could be wrong.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:51 am Question for you junior on the screen that goes around the stage for parts of the show. It would periodically have some really cool lightening/electrical effects on it that appeared to be generated on the screen. Does it have LED's in it or was it laser effects projected on it?
It's only a projection surface. No internal generation.
The lightning effect is done with the lasers.
Looked like Adam had some equipment issues during one of the songs. The guitar tech was running around with cables and guitars for about 2 minutes. I don't think he got to use his talk box at all. He kinda shrugged to the crowd as if to say "what are you going to do?" after the song.

Stuff breaks, sometimes. Especially vintage stuff.
MJK sang Vicarious entirely with his megaphone, I don't recall him doing that before. He also sat and even laid down while singing. He may have been irritated at everyone checking the Astros score. I think he was saving his voice a bit for Part of Me, cause he absolutely ripped it. Plus he had a some good screams periodically. Not much talking from him this show. Basically "Astros", "don't follow hockey" and "don't know the score of the hockey game, but ____ (no idea what he said here) won!
He's been doing that the whole tour.

His quote was "The Pack(ers) won".
Danny's Chiefs lost to the Packers right before the last part of the show. Danny was watching it during intermission, and Maynard saw the loss happen, so he was winding him up a bit.