The Outer Worlds

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

The Outer Worlds

Post by hellboy »

The Out Worlds is Obsidians latest Fallout meets Mass Effect style RPG which comes out later this week. There seems a few of us keen on this, so I figured I might create a thread specifically for it.

I've read a few early reviews, and it seems that the game appears to be a solid one, yet probably not one that really pushes any boundaries. As a fan of the genre, I'm expecting I'll enjoy the game. Release is this Friday, so planning to spend a few hours with it over the weekend
tys0n
Streeper

Re: The Outer Worlds

Post by tys0n »

As long as it's more of an RPG than Fallout 4 was I will be happy.

Also I like to spam speech so hopefully that's a thought out perk, I'm going in blind really.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I've read and watched very little of the game to be honest, except for the trailers and the odd article. I'm kinda expecting a reskinned Fallout 4, but with a better quality dev team behind it. I don't really know much about the levelling and combat systems, though I expect they are Fallout-like.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I'm sure you are all aware but just in case The Outer Worlds will be on gamepass for PC and Xbox!
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

tys0n wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:25 pm I'm sure you are all aware but just in case The Outer Worlds will be on gamepass for PC and Xbox!
Already pre-downloaded! Tempted to chuck a sickie tomorrow (but I won't)
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

As soon as I got to the character creation screen and female was the default gender I quit and uninstalled.

3+ hours it really is the spiritual successor to New Vegas, I'm leaving the main quest alone unless the side quests/tasks lead me there which they have done in the time I've played.

Also it's all about the speech!!! That's all I wanted really, fucking fighting when you can charm.

One complaint is why is sneak with hack and lockpick?

Ehhh, it's actually kinda obvious now I typed it.
Canned audience laughter
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

tys0n wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:49 am As soon as I got to the character creation screen and female was the default gender I quit and uninstalled.
At the time I created my character for Xenoblade Chronicles X I pondered about the question "Am I going to look at a female or male butt running around a planet the next 400 hours?"

Outer Worlds looks dope.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Why would you be looking at your characters butt during a video game???
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Played about an hour this afternoon - very solid game. Enjoying the vibe and writing so far. Remains to be seen how far I get with it, but early impressions are excellent
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

tys0n wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:45 am Why would you be looking at your characters butt during a video game???
Because monolith made it almost the center of the screen. Good enough they had majestic landscapes as well.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

A few more hours with this today, and I'm pretty happy with the game so far, though nor am I blown away. There's certainly a strong "been there, done that" kinda vibe about the game play. Unsurprisingly it plays more or less the same as Fallout 4. The gunplay is ok, but doesn't feel as tight as I was hoping. The good news is that the focus on the game is higher on non-combat solutions, so it's not a huge gripe.

The setting and graphics are pretty nice, and I like the leveling and perk systems. I'm finding the quests and characters quite interesting for the most part, though the main quest on Edgewater (or whatever it's called) feels a bit binary for my liking, and perhaps a little too much like Megaton in F3.

So far I'd rate it a solid 8/10, could easily get to a 9 depending on how the game progresses.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

tys0n wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:49 am As soon as I got to the character creation screen and female was the default gender I quit and uninstalled.
Character creating, at least the gender and visual aspects seem like a waste of time - I've not noticed any cut scenes with the character, and there's not even a third person mode (yet)
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I was joking, there has been a vocal minority complaining about how the default character was female and not white.

I'm pretty sure if you don't touch the controls for a minute or two the game will go into third person mode until you start again.

Also I really need grenades.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

tys0n wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:46 pm I was joking, there has been a vocal minority complaining about how the default character was female and not white.
I knew you were joking, I was merely pointing out the mostly useless character creation tool
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

So probably about 10 hours in. A great game here, but I suspect won't have huge appeal to fans outside the genre. I doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but what it does do, it does very well.

It's not really an open world game like Fallout 3-4, Skyrim and other Bethesda RPGs. It's probably more akin to a blend of Fallout 4 and KOTOR - smaller focused worlds rather than big open ones.

I do wish they'd moved a bit further away from the retro sci-fi style - it feels very samey to the Fallout worlds in that regards. Perhaps intentionally, but I think they could have done more to differentiate the games.

I'm quite enjoying it, and hope that it's success enables Obsidian to do bigger and better things in the future.
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Thanks for the updates chaps. will not get involved seems like a bit of a filler before some potentially bigger titles. Wish I had more time to be a gamer
Deftones!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Don't get me wrong, it's probably my favorite game of 2019 so far.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Yep, it's more of the same of what I want from an RPG and I'm loving it while the back of my mind is screaming rehash!

Fuck off back of my mind.
Canned audience laughter
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Like... 21 minute speedrun...
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

ms2r wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:51 pm Like... 21 minute speedrun...
21 minutes is pretty long for a speed run. Give it time and it'll be shorter.

I've easily spent 20 hours with the game so far, and not sure that I'm even half way through yet.

I doubt I'll finish it before RDR2 comes out though, so will be interested to see which one I prefer.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

So the dlc is coming september 9, and I finally decided to give this game a try, it's 50% off now
- You like noisy music?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'd note it's on Xbox Games Pass for those with either an Xbone or PC, so pretty cheap really. I never got around to finishing the game, so not super excited for DLC at this point, despite having a good time with it. In the end it just felt a bit too much "been there, done that"
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

The fetch quests just got boring and it lacked a certain polish.
Canned audience laughter