Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Best Games of 2021

Post by hellboy »

Been a cool year for gaming, here's some of my highlights:

Deathloop
Only got this as part of the Steam Xmas Sales recently, and it's very quickly become my favourite release of 2021. Initial reactions seemed a bit mixed, which is half the reason I didn't get it on release. Turns out everyone who didn't like it was wrong.

Rimworld
I've owned this Dwarf Fortress like space colony building sim a little while now, but for whatever reason this year it finally clicked. A great way to waste many hours

Hardspace: Shipbreaker
Breaking apart ships in a zero G environment sounds pretty boring, but is in fact pretty cool

Snowrunner
I continue to love this game. Something appealing about hammering it through the snow and mud in a range of trucks big & small

Noita
Weird procedurally generated 2D voxel game where you cast spells with wands to blow up, burn and do all kinds of stuff. Random chaos ensues

Wildermyth
A procedurally generated story with some solid turn based RPG action. Artwork is a bit weird, but the gaming solid

Hades
I possibly had this on last years list as well. It's probably one of the best games made in the last 5 years.

Psychonauts 2
Platforming perfection in a surreal world

Forza Horizon 5
This was really the same as FH4, but in Mexico. I loved FH4 though, and driving games in general, so a no brainer for this list.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Re: Best Games of 2021

Post by ms2r »

I only played Shadow of the Tomb Raider (2018) and Assassin's Creed Origins (2017) last year.

No Silksong no gaming.
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Cool list HB.

Hardspace, Snowrunner, Hades are all great.

Deathloop's AI got on my tits. Alert all enemies in an area find a narrow entry point somewhere and shoot them all as they just run in to your fire. Perhaps slim pickings this year but not sure it should have won the GOTY. At least it wasn't Far 'Creatively Bankrupt' Cry 6
Deftones!
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman
Height: 6

Post by Whowatchesthewampas »

Metroid Dread was probably the best thing I played all year. Still need to try out Hades
Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

RE8
Tormented Souls
Fatal Frame V
Elden Ring beta
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Now give new Deus Ex, please, Eidos Montreal. Not gonn happen, I know)

Silksong, where are you? Damn
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

earthrocker wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:20 am Cool list HB.

Hardspace, Snowrunner, Hades are all great.

Deathloop's AI got on my tits. Alert all enemies in an area find a narrow entry point somewhere and shoot them all as they just run in to your fire. Perhaps slim pickings this year but not sure it should have won the GOTY. At least it wasn't Far 'Creatively Bankrupt' Cry 6
No game is perfect (except maybe Slay the Spire), and Deathloop certainly isn't. That the AI wasn't strong didn't bother me at all, was much more interested in the super interesting world, the interesting puzzles, side quests and such.

I guess a more skilled player may have more cause for concern with the AI, but with someone that's far less interesting in twitch action and moreso in exploration and experimentation, to have AI easy to fooled is a plus.