The Last of Us (PS3, 6.14.13)

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

I've had my eye on this since its announcement. It's created by Naughty Dog (Uncharted) and is a PS3 exclusive. Reviews are starting to pour in and most state it's game of the year. Anyone else have their eye on this? I will be sure to pick this up when it drops 6.14.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Is that picture supposed to imply that it's short?
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Yes
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

15 hours doesn't sound that short, especially when you have no idea how the game was played.   What that his first run through, or a subsequent game?  Was it doe by a professional game reviewer, or the average joe?

For what it's worth, I prefer a short game, especially when it's a story based one.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

If I'm paying over $50, the game had better be either over 25 hours long, or have a helluva lot of replay value.

Your attitude is the entire reason why games are so fucking short these days. People will put up with it, so developers create a shitty, short product that consumers will tire of quickly before going to the next shiny object in the game store.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I feel if it's short than it's a rental, I loved Portal 2 but feel sorry for those that bought it at full price.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Tyson said
I feel if it's short than it's a rental, I loved Portal 2 but feel sorry for those that bought it at full price.

I bought it when it was on special before I left Australia for exactly that reason.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'm quite happy paying $50 for a 15 hour game if those 15 hours are of a good enough quality.  Portal 2 certainly met my expectations, both in value for money, quality of game and it's length.  It's worth noting I haven't purchased a game at over inflated Australian prices for years.    There are very few games that are worth $90.

Your attitude is the entire reason why games are so fucking short these days. People will put up with it, so developers create a shitty, short product that consumers will tire of quickly before going to the next shiny object in the game store.

Actually, my attitude is fantastic.  I haven't purchased a shitty short product for many years now.  I'm just not so narrow sighted as to believe all good games are long ones.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

$50 for fifteen hours. You're happy with that?

And what, exactly, makes me narrow sighted in asdkfjsdlkfhsdklf you know what, you're no longer fun to talk to.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss said
$50 for fifteen hours. You're happy with that?

Sure, if those 15 hours are of good enough quality then that's fine.

That's better value for money than a movie.

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

If I don't feel like there's enough content to justify paying the full $60, then I just wait until the price drops to a level that I think is fair.

Though I do think the industry needs to become more flexible with their pricing. If a 15 hour game was priced at about $30 then I'd be more willing to buy then if it was $60.

I think that's what needs to change. I don't think developers should start trying to make their games longer. I would rather play an 8 hour game than a 20 hour game with 10 hours of padding.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineEier said
If I don't feel like there's enough content to justify paying the full $60, then I just wait until the price drops to a level that I think is fair.

Though I do think the industry needs to become more flexible with their pricing. If a 15 hour game was priced at about $30 then I'd be more willing to buy then if it was $60.

I think that's what needs to change. I don't think developers should start trying to make their games longer. I would rather play an 8 hour game than a 20 hour game with 10 hours of padding.

I agree with all of that.  

It should be also noted that most modern big title games have a significant multiplayer aspect to them.  These titles frequently have as much MP content as SP content, so saying a game is 15 hours long may be a little inaccurate when there are many hours of MP action to be had as well.

Personally I don't give many fucks about MP, so this certainly isn't a selling point for me.
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

Anything more then 20 hrs I probably wont finish it.   For me games are all about the MP.  SP is only played when I have no friends online for MP.  Co-Op on the other hand, is my fave.  Dead Space 3's Co-Op was so much fun IMO.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

15 hours is aboout perfect for me. A game like Skyrim I would never complete. I just get bored with single player games too easily. I have the new Bioshock and have yet to complete it and probably won't. $4 an hour isn't too shabby in my book. Also, I always trade in games and usually pay $20-$25 for new games.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Bogart said
I have the new Bioshock and have yet to complete it and probably won't. 

Really?  I didn't think that game was overly long.  It's well worth pushing to the end though - the best part is the final 20 minutes.

Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

hellboy1975 said

Bogart said
I have the new Bioshock and have yet to complete it and probably won't. 

Really?  I didn't think that game was overly long.  It's well worth pushing to the end though - the best part is the final 20 minutes.

I know its not a long game. I think the average play through is about 12 hours. Like I said, I just get bored w/ single player games. Maybe bored is the wrong word. Sometimes I may go 2-3 weeks w/ out playing video games. For games like that, I usually forget story details, what I need to do, etc. I just don't feel compelled to play them when I go on breaks. Arkham Asylum was the last single player game I completed.

Sports games and multiplayer games I can just throw in, play a few games online and I'm good to go. The Last of Us may well end up being like other single player games I purchase and I just get to a point where I'm not compelled to play anymore. However, I'm willing to throw down $20-$30 to find out. If I don't finish, no big deal. I'll trade it in or sell it. If I do finish it, then i'll feel like I got my money's worth.
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

I think it's all the sports i used to (sometimes still do) play.  And the social gaming events lan parties, playing with friends, etc. is why i only care about MP.  There are not many single player stories that are worth playing IMO, most of them are very similar.   If i was going to do something by myself i would much rather read a book or watch a movie.  To me games are social. + I like proving that I'm better then you.  Try me, pick the game, physical or virtual I WILL WIN
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Curious to check this out as I've heard such good things. Will probably wait for a price drop though.

Red Dead Redemption is the only single player game I've felt compelled to play through all over again. Well, that and the Arkham games.
lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

Has anyone else picked this game up yet? I purchased it yesterday and have only gotten in about 2 hours so far
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

JbHiFi is selling it for $89 and ezydvd.com.au for $51. Thank you ezydvd.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

doors said

Jesus fucking Christ - NINETY DOLLARS for a fucking game?!

I think I've discovered why piracy exists . . .
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss said

doors said

Jesus fucking Christ - NINETY DOLLARS for a fucking game?!

I think I've discovered why piracy exists . . .

Games have been selling for $90 for the last 5+ years.  Shitty price, but nothing new at all.