Web Browser Discussion

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Web Browser Discussion

Post by hellboy »

There seemed to be some interest in debating the merits of web browsers, so in an attempt to keep certain threads on topic, here's an official discussion thread. Feel free to share your thoughts on browsers, as well as your favorite add ons & extensions.

Personally, I use both Chrome and Firefox. Chrome is for personal browsing. I find it offers better features, speed and resource usage than Firefox does.

Where Firefox exceeds though is as a development environment. Given that a large percentage of my time is spent working on web pages these days, Firefox and in particular Firebug are invaluable. Chrome has some great dev tools as well, but I haven't found one with the power and ease of use Firebug offers.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Re: Web Browser Discussion

Post by not tyson »

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Last edited by UndKeineZwEier on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Right, now that we have the obvious jokes out of the way...
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Firefox + No Script + Ad Block Plus

Google is spying on you.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'm sure they are, but they don't really need to use a browser to do that.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Everybody's spying on you. I'm spying on you...

No I'm not.

Frierfox
Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

I've always gone Firefox. I've tried Chrome more than once, but something about it just doesn't do it for me. I honestly couldn't tell you what it is, but it just feels weird. There's a strongly possibility that I've just been a Firefox user for too long, and now I'm brainwashed.

I'm up for a change, though. Something weird has happened, and all of a sudden my images and gifs started loading A LOT slower. I tried all the usual solutions (even blaming the nVidia update, as there seemed to be some sort of correlation), but in the end, I put it down to Firefox. So, I stripped it, restarted it, and still pretty much the same.

I've done everything EXCEPT try anther browser, as I'm kind of a little afraid to start all over again with a new browser. Probably has to be done, though, as this is shitting me up the wall. It's as though I have really fuckin' fast dial-up for images and gifs, while everything else loads and behaves normally.

But yeah, Firefox for sure. As an aside, I used to be big on Dolphin on Android. Now I use Firefox as well.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

On the pc: Opera Next, because it has a better design then Chrome and it is faster a lof of times. With adblock.
On the smartphone: Firefox.
On the tablet: Firefox or Chrome Beta

I gave my online privacy away and entrenched in Google.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote: I've done everything EXCEPT try anther browser, as I'm kind of a little afraid to start all over again with a new browser.
Have you tried creating a new profile in Firefox?

Personally it's those type of unexplained performance issues that keep me from using Firefox on a daily basis. Chrome seems to be solid in that regards.

As far as the interfaces go, I prefer Chrome, but there's not much difference between them really. At least not in the ways I use it.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote: I've done everything EXCEPT try anther browser, as I'm kind of a little afraid to start all over again with a new browser.
Have you tried creating a new profile in Firefox?

Personally it's those type of unexplained performance issues that keep me from using Firefox on a daily basis. Chrome seems to be solid in that regards.

As far as the interfaces go, I prefer Chrome, but there's not much difference between them really. At least not in the ways I use it.
A Firefox profile?! How or why the fuck would you make that?!

Seriously, you're blowing my mind.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

I use chrome for pretty much everything, except my work email which is better in explorer (glitchy in chrome). Although really my browsing needs are minimal... facebook, watch (listen) to music on youtube etc...
Be good to each other.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

OK, so apparently I can make an account so that I can use "my" Firefox anywhere. That is both cool and demonstrates how behind the times I am.

I would also never use it.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Gifs have always loaded slow for me.
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

PC: Firefox

Smartphone: IE

Tablet: IE

I claim that chrome is terrible, but the truth is Ive spent maybe 30 minutes with it ever. I prefer to not use Google services, and opt to use outlook, bing, onedrive and the microsoft services. The new IE actually is really good, especially with a touch interface.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Umadbrah? wrote:PC: Firefox

Smartphone: IE

Tablet: IE

I claim that chrome is terrible, but the truth is Ive spent maybe 30 minutes with it ever. I prefer to not use Google services, and opt to use outlook, bing, onedrive and the microsoft services. The new IE actually is really good, especially with a touch interface.
May I ask you why you gave your internet soul to Microsoft and not Google? In the end it is futile anyway. ;)
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

Well microsoft at least act's like they care about your privacy... Google on the other hand. I realize that neither of them care, and will probably sell/give my info to the highest bidder at the drop of a hat. I've used both services, but i find the M$ services to have a better user interface and sync with my devices easier. + I've made about $100+ using bing instead of google via their rewards program. The only google service i use anymore is YouTube.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Umadbrah? wrote:Well microsoft at least act's like they care about your privacy... Google on the other hand. I realize that neither of them care, and will probably sell/give my info to the highest bidder at the drop of a hat. I've used both services, but i find the M$ services to have a better user interface and sync with my devices easier. + I've made about $100+ using bing instead of google via their rewards program. The only google service i use anymore is YouTube.
You're welcome to your opinion I guess, regardless of how misguided they might be. I can't think of anyone I know with any kind of regard for technology who still uses Outlook/Hotmail. Synching devises is always easy when you keep it within the same eco-system (I'm assuming you're using some kind of Windows phone).

The statement about MS caring about your privacy is laughable. None of the big tech firms have a good record in that area.

Tell me more about the Bing rewards program though.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I signed up for the Bing rewards program because it was supposed to give me like 3,000 Xbox Rewards points and I don't think it ever did...
Don't mow your lawn
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Bing needs to reward people to be used? Just build a better search engine.
duck duck duck duck kwek kwek kwek go. :ugeek:
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

ms2r wrote:Bing needs to reward people to be used? Just build a better search engine.
I don't know, man. If the rewards are decent, I'll pretty much do anything.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

The Boss wrote:
ms2r wrote:Bing needs to reward people to be used? Just build a better search engine.
I'll tell ya what id do man..., 2 chicks at the same time man, always wanted to do that, and I think if I had enough bing rewards I could set that up.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
The Boss wrote:
I'll tell ya what id do man..., 2 chicks at the same time man, always wanted to do that, and I think if I had enough bing rewards I could set that up.
Like this?

:idea:
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

hellboy wrote:
Umadbrah? wrote:Well microsoft at least act's like they care about your privacy... Google on the other hand. I realize that neither of them care, and will probably sell/give my info to the highest bidder at the drop of a hat. I've used both services, but i find the M$ services to have a better user interface and sync with my devices easier. + I've made about $100+ using bing instead of google via their rewards program. The only google service i use anymore is YouTube.
You're welcome to your opinion I guess, regardless of how misguided they might be. I can't think of anyone I know with any kind of regard for technology who still uses Outlook/Hotmail. Synching devises is always easy when you keep it within the same eco-system (I'm assuming you're using some kind of Windows phone).

The statement about MS caring about your privacy is laughable. None of the big tech firms have a good record in that area.

Tell me more about the Bing rewards program though.
Hotmail doesnt really exist anymore. (at least as a domain) Outlook.com is a much more user friendly experience (IMHO) then Gmail, Ymail, or any other web based client i've used. Especially if you host an exchange server, it literally is Outlook, in web form. at least M$ does things like by default when using IE sends DO NOT TRACK requests, and attempts to give the illusion that they care. Google blatantly says, were taking your info and selling it, and is now basically a military contractor so there's that. I realize they both dont care, but google really turns me off.

Bing rewards is pretty simple. Sign up and as you search you get reward points, you can use thoes to redeem gift cards. It takes a while to build up the points, but your searching anyway might as well get something out of it if you can. Here's a referral link if you haven't signed up and want to. LINK

As far as the Google vs Bing debate i really dont see a difference. I use Bing as my default, if for some reason i think I'm getting bad results ill go to Google but 99% of the time you get the same first page of results.

If you are using an Apple device that has Siri on it, you are using bing. You are correct in assuming i use a Windows Phone.

I'm assuming you subscribe to the Google side of things? Does anyone here use exclusively Apple products/services?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I don't use any Apple devices personally, though not due to some kind of "boycott" against them - they've just seemed overly expensive for my needs.

I've never noticed much difference between Bing & Google either.

I use a couple of Google Services, mainly Gmail and Drive (mostly for documents). I also use a bunch of other things such as Dropbox. I tend to select what I think is the best tool, rather than analyse too much about what company they belong to.

As far as Outlooks user friendly experience goes - I'll take Gmail's extra functionality over that any day. Gmail's interface doesn't bother me at all.