Forum Spam Changes

Discuss the peculiarities of the forum. Feedback, complaints, suggestions are all welcome.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

A few of you probably noticed this evening an issue with spammers starting a range of thread.  Not sure how the slipped through the gaps, however I've made a change to try and correct the problem.  The change is relatively simple:

New members when joining the forum are placed in a group which don't have permissions to start new threads.  There is no limitation on where they can post though.
Once a user has established themselves as a legit poster, Kittaan and I will then shift them into the Members group which gives them full access.

Hopefully this won't turn out to be a pain in the ass, and the spamming issues will go away.

Feedback and comments appreciated if you have any.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

How the fuck I am suppose to sell my wares?

This is another holocaust, muh 8 trillion, oy vey!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said
A few of you probably noticed this evening an issue with spammers starting a range of thread.  Not sure how the slipped through the gaps, however I've made a change to try and correct the problem.  The change is relatively simple:

New members when joining the forum are placed in a group which don't have permissions to start new threads.  There is no limitation on where they can post though.
Once a user has established themselves as a legit poster, Kittaan and I will then shift them into the Members group which gives them full access.

Hopefully this won't turn out to be a pain in the ass, and the spamming issues will go away.

Feedback and comments appreciated if you have any.

I'd just change that to a certain number of posts - fifty should do the trick. I mean, if you're a troll or a spammer, waiting to make fifty decent posts just to be able to start making threads is a big ask.

Other forums have a similar system, and it seems to work.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss said 
I'd just change that to a certain number of posts - fifty should do the trick. I mean, if you're a troll or a spammer, waiting to make fifty decent posts just to be able to start making threads is a big ask.

Good suggestion and one I did consider.  I don't think we need to put a number on it yet, as it should be pretty obvious in a short number of posts if they are a spammer or not.  Trolling is a whole different kettle of fish - there's plenty of posters here with more than 50 posts who are quite capable of trolling...
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

The Boss said 

Good suggestion and one I did consider.  I don't think we need to put a number on it yet, as it should be pretty obvious in a short number of posts if they are a spammer or not.  Trolling is a whole different kettle of fish - there's plenty of posters here with more than 50 posts who are quite capable of trolling...

No worries.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Yeah, I was surprised to see that Kiss idiot got through the filter.  So, as I said in the PM, I just un-approved the threads.

Spam has been a non-issue since moving to the new forum. I guess they are just getting sneakier.
Ki77aan :twisted:
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

little spam-loving fuckers
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Great idea HB. Since I've posted more than 50, does that mean I can pitch my new penis enlarging capsules?

All joking aside, I just wanted to say it's a good idea. I haven't noticed any spamming, but then again I don't read everything.
SteveBobSteve
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

snazzlefrass said
Great idea HB. Since I've posted more than 50, does that mean I can pitch my new penis enlarging capsules?

All joking aside, I just wanted to say it's a good idea. I haven't noticed any spamming, but then again I don't read everything.

Hey - if it's you selling them, and it is contained in the Infinity forum then I would have a major problem with it.  I have no need for enlargement personally though, but if you could find your way to sending me some lottery winnings then I'd be grateful.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

snazzlefrass said

Have you got anything in the reduction category?

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

The Boss said

snazzlefrass said

I have a knife.

Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

The Boss said

snazzlefrass said

Just look in the mirror

snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

hellboy1975 said

snazzlefrass said

Hey - if it's you selling them, and it is contained in the Infinity forum then I would have a major problem with it.  I have no need for enlargement personally though, but if you could find your way to sending me some lottery winnings then I'd be grateful.

But it really works!!

SteveBobSteve
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

UndKeineEier said

The Boss said

snazzlefrass said

I have a knife.

What the fork?
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Great job
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Fucking piece of shit forum software
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

I blame the mods ... ID10T5
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Further adjustments made..
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not sure why te sudden influx of spammers. It appears they're able to get around reCaptcha somehow.

Made a change that for now will prevent ordinary members from starting new threads.  Subscribers should be able to without and hinderance.  It's starting to look like I may have to manually authorise new posters, which is something I'd like to avoid.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Re: Forum Spam Changes

Post by The Boss »

SMITHSON IS A SPAMBOT, AND I BET IT'S NOT EVEN HIS BIRTHDAY.

:evil:
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Not sure what the latest is on this- can I get accepted as a non-spammer? Old username was Krazy (still can't log in with that), and my posts still have to be reviewed by admin. Not end of the world shit but do wonder were this site is with "new" members.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Krazy_blah wrote:Not sure what the latest is on this- can I get accepted as a non-spammer? Old username was Krazy (still can't log in with that), and my posts still have to be reviewed by admin. Not end of the world shit but do wonder were this site is with "new" members.
Done - I will add you to my list to merge accounts later today.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Krazy_blah wrote:Not sure what the latest is on this- can I get accepted as a non-spammer? Old username was Krazy (still can't log in with that), and my posts still have to be reviewed by admin. Not end of the world shit but do wonder were this site is with "new" members.
Ok, old Krazy account has had all it's posts moved to Krazy_blah and has been deleted. You should be able to change your username to whatever you like now.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

hellboy wrote:
Ok, old Krazy account has had all it's posts moved to Krazy_blah and has been deleted. You should be able to change your username to whatever you like now.
Test... thanks HB.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.