Maynard interviewed on Chilean Radio

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

^The Fragile is a fucking bad ass album. Just because its not what people expected doesn't mean it wasn't good.

If Tool.releases and album that's 3/4 as good as The Fragile they will have done pretty damn good, in my opinion.
Hey! Denty!
kramer
Bronco's Fan

Post by kramer »

"I haven't written any songs". I......

Well played MJK, well played.
Here's to feeling good all the time
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

smithersSOCAL said
I thought people were "OGT" on this site??? T00l has always taken forever to record. Adam and the rest write the music..... which May-jay then sings over. no music to sing over... no music to release. MJK is the only one out there working so naturally people ask him where things are at with regard to new T00l. nothing new... same old, same old. i used to think all the mystery as to what they were upto was fun and exciting. now it's just boring and old. it will be funny if the album doesn't release till next year... and that shit better fucking be miraculous because if it's not it will be another "the fragile" where there is no way the music can hold to the expectation of fans.

I don't think anyone is denying that Tool takes "forever" to record an album. They are all working, not just maynard. It's taking a while, that's fine. I take my damn time on shit I want right all the time. Like making a sammich.

What's this about being "OGT"? I sold my soul to buy a Tool record. I'm OGT as fuck.

Seriously though. I hope everyone lowers their expectations. I am, that way I'll be blown-the-fuck away. Optimistically.

SteveBobSteve
Jethro Tool
Maynard Believer

Post by Jethro Tool »

he is an actor isnt he? all this is just an act...
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

joeypants said
"To be an artist is to be a liar" - MJK

I'm certainly not suggesting he doesn't get truly annoyed, or that he isn't less than enthusiastic about Tool anymore (I don't really think that, per se, but still...). But I think it's worth considering that Tool has always followed an ethos of "less is more" and mystery being a key aspect to their work.

You can call it overly optimistic, but I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that Maynard deliberately keeps things Tool-related that way because it is Tool. If you pay attention, Maynard is a big proponent of esoteric and occult ways of looking at everything. Him and Danny seem to be the biggest ones in that regard, although they're different in how they express it obviously. It wouldn't surprise me at all that the way he acts is a very deliberate way of keeping the "magic" surrounding a project/band that he knows is very special and probably still is near and dear to him.

If you remember, in the last few years in an interview he gave (on his wine property no less), he said regarding Tool: "We will keep making music together until one of us is dead." Whether it's a real love for the band and their work, or some sacred blood-pact signed years ago... that doesn't sound like the words of a man who just begrudges even working with them anymore.

Or... maybe he's just a dick. Or both.

That's a good point.

As far as I know, Maynard hasn't even said that the new album is coming out anytime soon, so why do people blame him so much? It's Danny and the others who get our hopes up. Don't tell us you'll hit the studio in june 2012, when a more likely period would be the last quarter of 2013, if that.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Jethro Tool said
he is an actor isnt he? all this is just an act....

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players" - Shakespeare;

Interesting fact: The word Person comes from the Latin 'Persona', meaning an actors mask. The word Person, in Law, is widely misconstrued to mean an individual but actually more often refers to a 'Citizen' and not an individual playing the role of Citizen.

Think about that...

Professor of Lesbian Science
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

This is where the quote is from I referenced earlier:

The gimme-more fatigue doesn't end with APC. Although he's clear that his commitment to Tool runs deep ("We'll make music together until one of us is dead"), he's in the middle of a crisis with the band. Some of it has to do with the stalkers. Most of it has to do with just singing the songs, which were written at times in Keenan's life when he was raging or wired or FUBAR. It's been ravaging to revisit those emotions night after night. "I don't have the energy to come from those places anymore," he says. "I just can't do it. It's like picking scabs at this point."

That helps explain Tool's current stage setup. Keenan "fronts" the band from the back of the stage, a bent, silhouetted stick figure obliterated by screaming video projections. "I'm not that person anymore," he continues. "I wrote the songs for them to be cathartic. You exorcise the demon... and then you move on. But the way we're doing it, I have to keep bringing it up again. It's destructive -- physically and emotionally destructive."

http://www.spin.com/articles/i-puscifer

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

And that's why Prison Sex, Wings for Marie, and 10,000 Days are retired.

Interesting interview never saw it before.
Hey! Denty!
ThatGuy
Bronco's Fan

Post by ThatGuy »

Maybe all of us annoying Tool fans will push him into a place where he will have the rage again and need to cathartically exorcise those demons once again via a new album
Jethro Tool
Maynard Believer

Post by Jethro Tool »

he just isnt pissed off anymore. do they still make MTV unplugged??
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

smithersSOCAL said
I thought people were "OGT" on this site??? T00l has always taken forever to record. Adam and the rest write the music..... which May-jay then sings over. no music to sing over... no music to release. MJK is the only one out there working so naturally people ask him where things are at with regard to new T00l. nothing new... same old, same old. i used to think all the mystery as to what they were upto was fun and exciting. now it's just boring and old. it will be funny if the album doesn't release till next year... and that shit better fucking be miraculous because if it's not it will be another "the fragile" where there is no way the music can hold to the expectation of fans.

"THE FRAGILE" is the greatest piece of work Reznor has ever put out.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
nicholas
Maynard Believer

Post by nicholas »

Was reading the 2007 Spin interview w/ Maynard linked by @joeypants and stumbled upon this...

50 Most Anticipated Albums:
http://www.spin.com/articles/50-albums- ... s?slide=31

Whaddya know?!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

crow011 said

smithersSOCAL said

I was also confused at that statement.  Almost everyone I know thinks The Fragile was excellent, and those that didn't were largely casual MTV jock type listeners.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I'm guessing Smithers said that about The Fragile because of its weak sales compared to The Downward Spiral.
Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

crow011 said

smithersSOCAL said

I was also confused at that statement.  Almost everyone I know thinks The Fragile was excellent, and those that didn't were largely casual MTV jock type listeners.

"WITH TEETH" probably would've been a better example.

Whatever.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

I think I'm with Andy on this one, same day, same shit said ad nauseum
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

basejumper said

Jethro Tool said
he is an actor isnt he? all this is just an act....

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players" - Shakespeare;

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players, performers and portrayers, each another's audience outside the gilded cage." - Peart (plagiarizing/paraphrasing Bill) 
Ki77aan :twisted:
smithersSOCAL
Bronco's Fan

Post by smithersSOCAL »

not hating on the fragile. Just using that a reference point. TR himself said the record was all over the place and hurt by the super long time he spent working on it. I personally love the fragile.
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Personally I think The Fragile is a laughable piece of teen angst-y shit.

"Industrial" music for Smashing Pumpkins fans.

smithersSOCAL
Bronco's Fan

Post by smithersSOCAL »

Ravenpig February 5, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I’m guessing Smithers said that about The Fragile because of its weak sales compared to The Downward Spiral.

not referring to sales. think anticipation..... and expectations. which over time grow, so that nothing can ever meet said expectations. again. shit takes forever with them. but its always been this way.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I've never read of Trent saying anything even remotely negative about The Fragile.

The closest he's come is saying that if he had splitten it in two it probably would've sold better.
Hey! Denty!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Edit: I'm a double posting douche bag
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

DOUBLE                                                                                                              POST
!
!
!
!
!
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Nice observation, Newton.

I have no idea how I did that, I only clicked on submit once.
Hey! Denty!