Maynard interviewed on Chilean Radio

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Maynard has been interviewed recently on Chilean radio station Futuro 88.9FM in the leadup to coming Puscifer and A Perfect Circle shows, and despite being told not to, it appears they asked some questions about Tool. According to Google Translate*:

Maynard, do you have plans to come to Chile with Tool?

No. At this time, no.

I also read that there is a possibility of having a new Tool album soon.

No new disk. Not this year.

Is there plans?

I have not written any songs. So no, there is nothing.

There you go. I guess rumours of an impending South American Tool tour are bogus, nor does it reveal anything we don't really already know on the new album.

The interview also suggests that the upcoming Puscifer shows in South American (and by extension I'm including Australia) will be more about the music than the theatrics, mainly due to the logistics of moving gear around.

Thanks to Domingo for the link!

*If anyone fancies writing a more accurate translation, then feel free!
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

i need a reason not to give up some days...
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I'd need to hear it but just from reading I'd say he's lying, especially since they were told not to ask about Tool.

It just comes off as untruthful, I guess

Edit: It's actually a pretty good interview, and Hellboy the translation is spot on.

He also says he has no plans on any new APC material at all, by the way.
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig said 
He also says he has no plans on any new APC material at all, by the way.

Yeah, I think Billy has clarified that as well.  Certainly seems as though Ashes Divide are next in his plans.  Which would make sense if Tool are to reconvene later this year, as Puscifer and APC gigs would probably be pushed to the side while Tool is in full swing.
loopcat
Maynard Believer

Post by loopcat »

God dammit.. This has to be their last album, they will be old men by the time a new one comes out.
in_the_blender
Bronco's Fan

Post by in_the_blender »

"I have not written any songs. So no, there is nothing."

Okay, I promised Crow i'd come say hello, but i see theres absolutely nothing to add here.

>2013

>Still convinced Tool are gonna make new music

Keep the flame alive guys, I'll return with something relevent when they do.

Peas and Glove

Andy

Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

By the time the new album comes out, the voyager probes will be halfway to the nearest star.

And Terence Trent D'Arby will have come back in vogue.

Davvda
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Davvda »

Maynard is such a troll.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

in_the_blender said

Okay, I promised Crow i'd come say hello, but i see theres absolutely nothing to add here.

>2013

Peas and Glove

Andy

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

crow011 said

in_the_blender said

>2013

Peas and Glove

Andy

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

i dont know whats up Maynards ass about not wanting tool questoins. hes slapping "tool" in the face by being that way. hes so bent on 'i did things other then tool' sorry buddy! your always going to be known for having done TOOL more then anything and he seems like hes not proud of that and he totally should be! we all know hes a crazy multi tasker/workaholic...not sure why he feels he has to prove himself so much and be a douchebag and lie/give lame answers to things related to tool. hes even writing a book to show everyone in print he did more then tool! dont get me wrong..i will read the book but hes got a chip on his shoulder in varying ways. time to relax maynard! chill out man! lol
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Personally I think Maynard is ok with Tool questions, so long as they don't dominate. I think the problem he faces is that given the opportunity most interviewers would only ask Tool questions, hence the directive to not ask any.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

The intro to the interview (which seems to be written by a different person) actually says the interviewer was "probably" told not to ask about Tool.

May Jay has shown before that if he doesn't wanna talk about Tool he won't, so that may not be the case here.
Hey! Denty!
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

hellboy1975 said
Personally I think Maynard is ok with Tool questions, so long as they don't dominate. I think the problem he faces is that given the opportunity most interviewers would only ask Tool questions, hence the directive to not ask any.

That's never seemed to be the case before now.  He's been quite aloof more than once with even a hint of tool questions so I don't know why all of a sudden, just because he does 'answer' a couple vague tool questions, someone would think he's all of a sudden open to answering tool questions as long as they aren't too invasive?

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

cheeseballs said 
That's never seemed to be the case before now.  He's been quite aloof more than once with even a hint of tool questions so I don't know why all of a sudden, just because he does 'answer' a couple vague tool questions, someone would think he's all of a sudden open to answering tool questions as long as they aren't too invasive?

I'm not sure "all of a sudden" correct.  Can anyone think of a time when Maynard has actually refused to answer a Tool question when asked?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I remember an interview where, when asked about Tool, Maynard just went silent.  It was a video.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ah yes, I do remember that one.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

^ Me too.  With a chick interviewing him.  And they played cricket sounds.

And after she begged a bit, he said "If I had something to say, I'd say it"

@ Blender - Yo!
Ki77aan :twisted:
Intension
Fanboi

Post by Intension »

Clearly in certain interviews the interviewer is asked not to ask about Tool. Im sure either because he has nothing to say on the subject at the time, or hes focusing on something else. I think its when asked when directed not to he feels the need to be smug, which is understandable, its unprofessional on the interviewers part. And hes made a career off of Tool by not being so talkative and open, why would he change that now, after its proven to work. Do less, reap the benefits, Sure, id do the fuckin same.

snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Wow. He realllly doesn't want to work on Tool. Whereas Danny and the gang seem excited about it, ol' 'nardo doesn't even have plans for a Tool album at all this year. So, late-late 2014, early-mid 2015? FFS!

Release an instrumental bitches!!
SteveBobSteve
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

I would love to see an instrumental from these guys.. with Lustmord....and MJK.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

eyepod said
I would love to see an instrumental from these guys.. with Lustmord....and MJK.

Hell yes.  Been saying that for years.

Think Clutch/Bakerton Group.  That's the opener I want to see for Tool:  Tool.
Ki77aan :twisted:
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

"To be an artist is to be a liar" - MJK

I'm certainly not suggesting he doesn't get truly annoyed, or that he isn't less than enthusiastic about Tool anymore (I don't really think that, per se, but still...). But I think it's worth considering that Tool has always followed an ethos of "less is more" and mystery being a key aspect to their work.

You can call it overly optimistic, but I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that Maynard deliberately keeps things Tool-related that way because it is Tool. If you pay attention, Maynard is a big proponent of esoteric and occult ways of looking at everything. Him and Danny seem to be the biggest ones in that regard, although they're different in how they express it obviously. It wouldn't surprise me at all that the way he acts is a very deliberate way of keeping the "magic" surrounding a project/band that he knows is very special and probably still is near and dear to him.

If you remember, in the last few years in an interview he gave (on his wine property no less), he said regarding Tool: "We will keep making music together until one of us is dead." Whether it's a real love for the band and their work, or some sacred blood-pact signed years ago... that doesn't sound like the words of a man who just begrudges even working with them anymore.

Or... maybe he's just a dick. Or both.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

joeypants said
"To be an artist is to be a liar" - MJK

I'm certainly not suggesting he doesn't get truly annoyed, or that he isn't less than enthusiastic about Tool anymore (I don't really think that, per se, but still...). But I think it's worth considering that Tool has always followed an ethos of "less is more" and mystery being a key aspect to their work.

You can call it overly optimistic, but I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that Maynard deliberately keeps things Tool-related that way because it is Tool. If you pay attention, Maynard is a big proponent of esoteric and occult ways of looking at everything. Him and Danny seem to be the biggest ones in that regard, although they're different in how they express it obviously. It wouldn't surprise me at all that the way he acts is a very deliberate way of keeping the "magic" surrounding a project/band that he knows is very special and probably still is near and dear to him.

If you remember, in the last few years in an interview he gave (on his wine property no less), he said regarding Tool: "We will keep making music together until one of us is dead." Whether it's a real love for the band and their work, or some sacred blood-pact signed years ago... that doesn't sound like the words of a man who just begrudges even working with them anymore.

Or... maybe he's just a dick. Or both.

Interesting. I remember him saying that, I just get the feeling he's not into Tool atm. Eventually he'll have enough material in him to write songs, it just seems right now he's really focused on Pussyfur and his wine. Oh and touring to collect a paycheck to further fund his hobbies. He sure does have expensive hobbies.

Also, I think he is a dick. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'd be a dick too if people kept asking me about something I did that I'm not into anymore, and hearing thousands of people bitching about it. Not saying I've never bitched. I don't think anyone has never bitched.

SteveBobSteve
smithersSOCAL
Bronco's Fan

Post by smithersSOCAL »

I thought people were "OGT" on this site??? T00l has always taken forever to record. Adam and the rest write the music..... which May-jay then sings over. no music to sing over... no music to release. MJK is the only one out there working so naturally people ask him where things are at with regard to new T00l. nothing new... same old, same old. i used to think all the mystery as to what they were upto was fun and exciting. now it's just boring and old. it will be funny if the album doesn't release till next year... and that shit better fucking be miraculous because if it's not it will be another "the fragile" where there is no way the music can hold to the expectation of fans.