Maynard discusses Puscifer and not Tool with Phoenix New Times

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Gene sent me a link to a new interview with Maynard this morning, where he talks about mainly Puscifer, as well as the state of the recording industry:

"The illusion is gone," Keenan says. "There's no longer blank checkbooks. I remember playing a show ages ago, where Helmet got offered a [record deal worth a] million dollars. Oh, my God! A million dollars. Of course, all that did was make every other band with ego throw its dicks on the table and say, 'Well, I want a million five.' 'Well, I want two million; I'm more popular.' There was never any rhyme or reason to what those numbers ended up translating to at the end of the day. If you go back and track what somebody actually paid for something, it's not nearly as dialed-in as, say, a video-game corporation saying, 'No, we're going to sell exactly this many units of this game.' It was never that calculated. The people running [the business] weren't qualified to run it."

It's an interesting article and well worth reading. As the title suggests though, there is no Tool update, though I'm sure none of you expect one from Maynard at this stage...

There's also a short teaser video courtesy of Livewire of Puscifer rehearsing for upcoming tours:
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Heh. Even the article's title gives him shit for not talking about Tool.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

So now there's a Maynard biography and autobiography.  Mog's going to be fucking ecstatic! 

Also did that Queens of Country ever actually come out?  It's mentioned in this article, but I haven't actually heard anything about since like early 2011.
Don't mow your lawn
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

Nardo's look at all my random crap videos are always fun.

WTF was that green drink...  A kale smoothie?
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Eh, that wasn't a bad read.
I like to poop naked.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

This reminds me of how much I'm looking forward to getting my hands on that Balls to the Wall.  I loved it live, and I would love to have a recording.
Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

"appeared on the anti-comedy TV series Tim & Eric Awesome Show: Great Job"

No he didn't, great journalism
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Wait, I never knew this was him

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

No way that's Maynard. Doesn't sound like him at all. I'm sure someone just mislabeled a video.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Don't mow your lawn
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

UndKeineEier said
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1617580/

You are correct sir.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Wow. I'll be damned.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Is there an interview rider where the source must explain first that the members of tool rarely give interviews, even though a member of tool is about to give another interview?
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

joeypants said
Wow. I'll be damned.

You may indeed, if you get lucky.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

cheeseballs said
Is there an interview rider where the source must explain first that the members of tool rarely give interviews, even though a member of tool is about to give another interview?

It should be rarely give interviews about Tool
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Why would you expect an interview with a TOOL member about TOOL, when they haven't done anything for over half a decade?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

crow011 said
Why would you expect an interview with a TOOL member about TOOL, when they haven't done anything for over half a decade?

If I were interviewing and the members of tool still call themselves a band, then game on.
Agenda
Maynard Believer

Post by Agenda »

Anyone want to bet that this forth coming book barely references TOOL at all? It seems like Maynard dislikes everything to do with TOOL more and more. He almost seems to resent the band itself. The truth of the matter is that without TOOL, Puscifer would not be a success and likely would not exist in it's present form. Don't get me wrong I like Puscifer, but like many Puscifer fans I started out as just a TOOL fan. Hell, A Perfect Circle never would have been a band if Billy wasn't Adam's guitar tech. Like it or not Puscifer, the vineyard and Maynard owe their success to TOOL. It just seems rather desperate to constantly distance yourself from what made you successful, in an effort to make your other projects seem more relevant.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Thanks for pointing out the obvious
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Agenda said
Anyone want to bet that this forth coming book barely references TOOL at all? It seems like Maynard dislikes everything to do with TOOL more and more. He almost seems to resent the band itself. The truth of the matter is that without TOOL, Puscifer would not be a success and likely would not exist in it's present form. Don't get me wrong I like Puscifer, but like many Puscifer fans I started out as just a TOOL fan. Hell, A Perfect Circle never would have been a band if Billy wasn't Adam's guitar tech. Like it or not Puscifer, the vineyard and Maynard owe their success to TOOL. It just seems rather desperate to constantly distance yourself from what made you successful, in an effort to make your other projects seem more relevant.

On the other hand, four fingers and a thumb.  Maynard might look at it differently though.  He DID participate in that success too.  It's not like any three members success is collectively responsible for any one members success.  So Maynard is making the best of that, as are the other members.  

That's it.  

End of blog/story/tweet?/whatever.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Agenda said

I feel like I've read a post very similar to this before.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Maynard James Keenan Discusses Donkey Punch the Night 

Right now, there's a Tool fan angrily venting about the lack of a new Tool album in some dark corner of the Internet. Right now, Tool frontman Maynard James Keenan is most likely working on something other than a new Tool album.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsu ... erview.php

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Honestly I'm surprised Maynard hasn't turned to crowdfunding for an international tour.

Don't mow your lawn