APC Tour 2017 discussion (includes spoilers!)

Discuss Maynard and Billy's side project
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: APC Tour 2017 discussion (includes spoilers!)

Post by hellboy »

Someone really has a problem with people taking photos:

Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Upside down crosses + APC = WTF?

I don't feel like searching it at this exact moment, but some radio chick bitched about "Maynard's minions" kicking her out of a recent show for taking a selfie with a flash. Not sure what tree she was barking up but I doubt it's Maynard's own security that did that. If you google a perfect circle news it should show up.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I think those crosses are for the support act? I don't remember seeing them in APC vids (not that I've watched the whole set)
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ignore all the no photography signs and get kicked out? Sure didn't see that coming!
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Ravenpig wrote:
hellboy wrote:Thanks for the video Ettan - good to see the energy levels of the band are high, wish they were so into it when I saw them several years ago!
Eh I saw them last Wednesday and they weren't that into it so whatevs
No doubting the energy coming from the band when you look at the Fort Rock Festival vid above- MJK going pretty nuts there during the package. When I saw them Vegas night 3 they were on a similar level and had far more energy than previous tool or apc shows I've seen. Puscifer were about par when they came down under in 2014.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Cool but everything you just said has nothing to do with the show I saw.
Hey! Denty!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:I think those crosses are for the support act? I don't remember seeing them in APC vids (not that I've watched the whole set)
Yeah, it was for the opening act. They made me cringe. Still not as bad as No Teeth though.
Ki77aan :twisted:
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Kittaan wrote:
hellboy wrote:I think those crosses are for the support act? I don't remember seeing them in APC vids (not that I've watched the whole set)
Yeah, it was for the opening act. They made me cringe. Still not as bad as No Teeth though.
How was the show you went to Kittaan?
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Hey Norm, I just looked back and don't see the reply I thought I had made to your original question. Sorry bout that, I must have fucked up and not posted it.

It was an excellent show in SF. Really well executed performance from all, great flow to the set list and I really enjoyed it. The excellent live versions of Emotive material made me regret missing night 3 when they did their 3 SF shows back in the day. MJK sounded on point and had a lot of energy. Sound was great, especially for BGC which can be hit or miss with the mix. I was upstairs, on the right corner with a perfect view the whole night.

Thoroughly enjoyed it despite having to sit through the awful opener, "Prayers". So uninspired and frankly lame. I don't get why more effort isn't put into presenting better opening acts for so many great shows I've been to over the last several years. There are plenty of interesting bands who would love a shot for a tour opening slot like APC. I used to really look forward to seeing openers, but I really can't remember the last pleasant surprise I've had in that regard. Maybe it's a contractual thing for the promotor, maybe nepotism or favoritism for a friend of the main act (like Adam rewarding his friend in No-Teeth)? Thoughts on that?

You going to see APC this week in LA? I think you're getting Beta Machine as opener. Hopefully not Prayers. Let me know what you think.

Edit: Here's the SF Setlist for reference.
► Show Spoiler
Ki77aan :twisted:
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Finally got to hear some of the new APC songs last night in Nashville. Hourglass is awful; the lyrics are cheesy and the song did not flow well. Feathers sounded much better and has potential, but it's a weak show closer. That being said, it was a great show overall. With the exception of the 3 Libras remix, which sounds like a trainwreck and does not translate well live, all the other stuff sounded tight and the guys had a lot of energy. Some highlights of the night for me were The Package, Rose, Magdalena, and Thinking of You. Well worth the money and 4 hour drive.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Kittaan wrote:Maybe it's a contractual thing for the promotor, maybe nepotism or favoritism for a friend of the main act (like Adam rewarding his friend in No-Teeth)? Thoughts on that?
I think that's an accurate assessment of all support acts.

Being a support act is a bit of a cursed chalice. There will always be those who think they are terrible. There will always be those who want them to just get off stage so the main act can get on. There will also be those that say they blew the main act off stage.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Kittaan wrote:Hey Norm, I just looked back and don't see the reply I thought I had made to your original question. Sorry bout that, I must have fucked up and not posted it.

It was an excellent show in SF. Really well executed performance from all, great flow to the set list and I really enjoyed it. The excellent live versions of Emotive material made me regret missing night 3 when they did their 3 SF shows back in the day. MJK sounded on point and had a lot of energy. Sound was great, especially for BGC which can be hit or miss with the mix. I was upstairs, on the right corner with a perfect view the whole night.

Thoroughly enjoyed it despite having to sit through the awful opener, "Prayers". So uninspired and frankly lame. I don't get why more effort isn't put into presenting better opening acts for so many great shows I've been to over the last several years. There are plenty of interesting bands who would love a shot for a tour opening slot like APC. I used to really look forward to seeing openers, but I really can't remember the last pleasant surprise I've had in that regard. Maybe it's a contractual thing for the promotor, maybe nepotism or favoritism for a friend of the main act (like Adam rewarding his friend in No-Teeth)? Thoughts on that?

You going to see APC this week in LA? I think you're getting Beta Machine as opener. Hopefully not Prayers. Let me know what you think.

Edit: Here's the SF Setlist for reference.
► Show Spoiler
Thanks for the great review, and glad to hear you got what sounds to be a memorable show! Last time I saw them, in 2011, the show I caught felt a bit lackluster. Which is strange because I was about 10 feet from the stage.

Because of that last show, and the fact this upcoming one is at the Hollywood Bowl (not a big fan of the place), I decided to pass.

Sounds like I may be missing out on a good tour though. Hmmm...
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Why do you hate the Hollywood Bowl? It's supposed to be great, main reason I'm going since I've never been to it...
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

nxrm wrote: Because of that last show, and the fact this upcoming one is at the Hollywood Bowl (not a big fan of the place), I decided to pass.

Sounds like I may be missing out on a good tour though. Hmmm...
I saw this on the Toolarmy FB page this morning - maybe you should reconsider:

nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Krazy_blah wrote:Why do you hate the Hollywood Bowl? It's supposed to be great, main reason I'm going since I've never been to it...
If you've never been, you should definitely go. No question about it. The experience alone will be a good time.
rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

Finally saw APC for the first time on Friday evening at a festival stop. They were absolutely great. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, Maynard included. He was engaging, cracking jokes, and even danced around at one point with shake weights. Compared to Soundgarden, who performed after them, APC sounded tighter and Maynard's voice has aged much better than Chris Cornell's. Anyway, the only new song they played was Hourglass, which IMO fucking blows and stands out horribly in the setlist.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

The show at the Hollywood Bowl last night was really good as well. Thanks to everyone who posted about their experiences at earlier stops on this tour. Other than a couple technical difficulties early on, Maynard sounded great. The band was really dialed in too. All around much better than the last APC show I caught in 2011.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

According to a person on the Reddit May Jay dedicated Thomas to his Tool bros yesterday.

What does it all mean??!!
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Thomas the Tank Engine is guesting on the new Tool album.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Where do I pre order???
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

PayPal.com. send $50 to undkeineeier@gmail.com
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Sending 75 just to be safe
Hey! Denty!
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Can confirm that's what Nardo said. "This one goes out to all my Tool brothers" or something to that effect. He also said dont judge the new songs too harshly as they're still a work in progress.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Krazy_blah wrote:He also said dont judge the new songs too harshly as they're still a work in progress.
Interesting that he actually said that. I will say that it mostly sounds like the new songs are ideas with some underdeveloped lyrics slapped on top. Hopefully they still have plenty of development still to go.